cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X Chocks

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth seems to be pretty stable on it's front landing feet but I have the opportunity to buy a set of X-Chocks for a reasonable price.

My question is, are these chocks used more for trailers than fifth wheels?

I am unsure whether I should just get four good chocks for behind the wheels, or trust in X-Chocks instead, or should I just pass and let someone else get them?

Thanks for your opinions.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel
22 REPLIES 22

Stefan
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
My fifth seems to be pretty stable on it's front landing feet but I have the opportunity to buy a set of X-Chocks for a reasonable price.

My question is, are these chocks used more for trailers than fifth wheels?

I am unsure whether I should just get four good chocks for behind the wheels, or trust in X-Chocks instead, or should I just pass and let someone else get them?

X-Chocks don't know or care if your rig is a TT or 5th ... BUT they're not designed to actually "chock" the trailer and prevent it from inadvertently shifting, they're designed to reduce suspension "wiggle" when you walk around inside the rig. You still want to chock the tires with some other method that will absolutely prevent the trailer from shifting, as some of us have pointed out in this discussion.

Stefan
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD, 3.73, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.0L (loving it!)
2003 Layton lite 232 BH

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Bal Deluxe chocks for about 6 years with no problems, lube each chock assembly as needed. I like the way the chocks stop that annoying brake drum squeak.

In addition to the Bal chocks I use the heavy duty style black tire chocks in front and behind 1 tire, the type found at most commercial truck docks,
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of BAL Deluxe Chocks. Have used them for 3 years now.
Simply Excellent.

Great point on ensuring you give them a tighten after the tires/wheels cool down..

I find them helpfull when disengaging the 5th..work like a charm.

For levelling, bought a set of ANDERSON levellers...and they work great as well.

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Order4ed my Rotochoks shortly after we got the 5th wheel. Thats all I use now.[/quote]

Unfortunately RotoChok is out of business and no longer available unless one is lucky enough to find a used set in the size needed.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Order4ed my Rotochoks shortly after we got the 5th wheel. Thats all I use now.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

GypsiesAtHeart2
Explorer
Explorer
Just got X chocks for the new 5'ver. Directions say not to use them in place of wedge chocks when raising or lowering the landing gear & hooking up. We feel the trailer is more stable with them.
2014 Forest River Wildcat 293 REX
2012 GMC 3500 HD SRW CC LB Diesel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Mostly use the Rotos but if there is any significant incline the wedges come out.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
garysol wrote:
I use and like my X-Chocks. I feel they do help with the wiggle feeling when people are walking PLUS I can put a lock through it for extra theft protection while we are gone.
Once you pull your trailer after forgetting to remove them you won't be using that padlock anymore. I forgot one on mine and it popped right out albeit a might twisted. A couple of my friends have done the same thing. I quit using mine, don't feel like they did much.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The consensus seems to be they are worthwhile. I will be getting them and using them like others are using. Thanks for your posts. Mike
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
I use and like my X-Chocks. I feel they do help with the wiggle feeling when people are walking PLUS I can put a lock through it for extra theft protection while we are gone.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We use them without any other device. I just make sure to re- tighten them after the wheels have cooled down.

Pure_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Something like the JT Strongarm will make the most noticeable difference in stability. And you don't have to store anything since it all attaches to the trailer.

Best investment I made. Trailer is much more stable.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Something like the JT Strongarm will make the most noticeable difference in stability. And you don't have to store anything since it all attaches to the trailer.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We use them and also the strong arms, there is not much movement in our rig.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3