Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

YELLOWSTONE NP

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:
Planning a trip in July or Aug. to Yellowstone. Been there a couple of times and stayed in West Yellowstone. Trying to find out if anyone's stayed inside the park and if there's a CG with hookups other thank Fishing Bridge. It's pretty hard to find availability there.
Thanks in advance.
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie
16 REPLIES 16

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
snowpeke wrote:
So with 2100 camp sites you need a reservation?

But of that number only 340 are full hookup sites so yes, you need a reservation for those. Seven of the campgrounds in YNP are first come, first served so you can't even get a reservation at those campgrounds.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I heading there this Thursday for 12 days starting Sunday. I know its still cold, but not many people or mosquitos.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
JMO, but in August be up at sunrise and head out for a few uncrowded hours. Many people don't get up and around until around 10 or 11. So if you go out early you won't be fighting the crowds as much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
TWO 4 THE ROAD wrote:
Great news: Got a reservation at Fishing Bridge for August 10 days...wooopeee.

That's great. 10 days will give you plenty of time to see the park.

We went in the fall and stayed at Fishing Bridge with a reservation right up to the last day they were open for the season. Weather was blowing in so we decided cut out a day early. I thought for sure I would have to eat the last day's charge. The lady said "nope, we will have it booked in 15 minutes". That was Sunday, they were closing the Park on Monday.

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
Great news: Got a reservation at Fishing Bridge for August 10 days...wooopeee.
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Worked at Canyon Campground in YNP for 4 months last summer and Canyon like the rest of the campgrounds, have openings quite frequent during the summer but is sucked up fast. Must be aggressive but can find openings
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at Fishing Bridge and didn't really care about the RV sites, we were there to see the park and where we parked didn't really matter that much.

We've also stayed over at West Yellowstone, and I'd stay at Fishing Bridge again rather than commute back into the park from West Yellowstone every day. It was the NFS campground north of town, and was really nice, but we were there for Yellowstone, where we stayed was secondary.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure of why the need for FHUs in Yellowstone. It is high altitude & the evenings are cool. Done Bridge Bay a couple times. No reservations. Looked at Fishing Bridge. Yuk! Nothing but carpark style camping. Looked at outside the park too. No thanks. Long commute to get to any of the park attractions.

Really like Teton NP but too far to do YNP from.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
snowpeke wrote:

Yes, 6-12 months in advance.

Personally I wouldn't stay "in" the park. Those campgrounds are to crowded and jammed together for my tastes. I prefer West Yellowstone.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Colter Bay just south in Grand Teton. Close enough to YNP, but very, very nice and right on Jackson Lake.
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
This late, you may be able to get a site at a CG w/o full hookups. To me, Fishing Bridge is a big parking lot with RV's. No space around you and a lot of noise and activity. The further out from the center of the park, the easier it will be to find a site, at this late a point in time. We booked a site about 3 weeks ago, and had the chance to get Fishing Bridge, but did not want to deal with the congestion there. We will be doing a week at YNP in August, then down to the Tetons for a few days, then on to Rocky Mountain NP for a few days then head home. Tradeoffs to a later start to booking is what type of site you can get - full H/U's go quick! Good Luck..
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
We go to YNP twice a year... I would not go without reservations. Some say otherwise.... good luck

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
In your time frame you should have made reservations a year ago.