cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another hitch question but with a little twist & incline

fartlek
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 F350 short box and plan on purchasing a 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS. I have done a lot of research on hitches but I have not found an answer to my question so I would appreciate hearing from people with experience.

We are fortunate that we will be able to store the 5th wheel at our property but when we load / unload the camper the truck would be going up an incline at would be about 40 degrees turned. The camper would be level but the truck would be at the incline and turned 40 degrees. It is a little tricky backing in but very doable.

From the little research that I have looked at, it appears that the sliders do not like to be hooked/unhooked at much of an angle nor an incline. Is this true and what are the limitations?

Rather than a slider, I’m also considering an Anderson hitch. I like everything about this hitch but I’m wondering if the angle and incline would have any impact on loading / unloading.

I would really appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks,
Fartlek
8 REPLIES 8

german57
Explorer
Explorer
no 90 degree angle but about 45 degree incline all with no proplems

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have any issues using the Andersen ball/coupler in this situation.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
german57 wrote:
no I have even loaded and unloaded at 90 degree angles

A 90 degree incline?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

german57
Explorer
Explorer
no I have even loaded and unloaded at 90 degree angles

fartlek
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the responses so far.

german57 - having an empty bed is one of the advantages of the goose neck. Have you had any experience loading/unloading on an incline?

german57
Explorer
Explorer
I use a goose neck hitch and when im done turn the ball over and the bed is empty

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
I have had issues unhitching when the trailer and truck are tilted to the side at different angles. I have a Colibert Rail Rider manual slider, which only tilts forward and back.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only slider that has angle issues as you described is the Pullrite Superglide. Manual sliding hitches have no issues with hooking up at an angle. I am sure someone will chime in about the Andersen. My 337 will turn really well without sliding my hitch, I have the option to slide it back if I choose though.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider