cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use DirecTV Genie in their RV?

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We're not full timers but I thought this forum would be the most likely place to get more answers.

We have used DirecTV for many years and take an older HD receiver with us when we travel. We have the Winegard manual crank up antenna on the roof, which only gets SD programming. This OK with us as we don't watch all that much TV when traveling.

DW wants to switch to the Genie in the stick house so we can watch TV in other rooms without the hassle of running cables. I'm not sure whether the Genie would work with our existing antenna on the RV. Anyone out there have experience using an 18" SD dish with the Genie?

Another possibility might be to keep our current receiver for use in the RV if the Genie won't work with the dish.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚
7 REPLIES 7

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a slimline SWM dish on a tripod.

5 channel Genie in LR and a HDDVR on BR. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help and advice. DW really wants us to get the Genie so that's the way we will go for the stick house. I'll have to decide what to do for the RV.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Winegard manual crank up antenna on the roof, which only gets SD programming.

The Genie requires a SWM dish to work. If your crank up has 2 outputs at the dish then it can be converted easily to work with a Genie.

If only one output then it won't work with a Genie.
To get all of what the Genie can do and your already paying for, put a Trav'ler in place of that outdated crank up.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CloudDriver wrote:
Anyone out there have experience using an 18" SD dish with the Genie?

Another possibility might be to keep our current receiver for use in the RV if the Genie won't work with the dish.
The round dish won't work as Genie requires a SWM dish.

You could get a portable SWM dish for the RV and use the Genie in the RV.

Check carefully how you approach the Genie solution. Make sure your old receiver will continue to work in the RV ON A SINGLE ACCOUNT. And at home.

We move our Genie HR44 between home and RV and both have SWM dishes. We don't have a Genie Mini Client.

Also be aware that the wireless Genie has distance restrictions relative to equipment including other WiFi equipment.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers and use a Genie and a mini Geni. Wehave a roof top satellite dish.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Genie posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, we use the home Genie and a wireless mini Genie when were out. Of course I also have an oval dish setup. Be aware, the Genie is SWM only so likely you will need a new antenna setup that will support that technology. Also remember if you are using a wireless Genie that you will need to have a place for the video bridge that according to DirecTV needs to be 6 feet away from the main Genie.