cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changes in Texas Class A/B Exempt license procedures

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you contemplating going full-time (or already are) and establishing domicile in Texas, there have been some changes to the Class A/B Non-Commercial Exempt driver's license procedures. This applies only to those with rigs that exceed the weight criteria for a regular Class C driver's license (see link below):

TX Class A/B Exempt License Requirements

Previously, one had to go to a CDL (commercial driver's license) testing location to take the skills (driving) test. While "streamlining" (read: making things more complicated for the consumer) and bringing their requirements and processes into alignment with the Department of Transportation, Texas DPS has reduced the number of these CDL testing sites to 25 statewide - and it's a BIG state! The good news is, they have separated the exempt license skills testing from the CDL sites and there are now 114 sites that can/will do the skill test for the exempt licenses we RVers need (see link below):

TX Class A/B Skills Testing Sites

Now for the confusing part: one can take the written test on a walk-in basis, but the skills test must be scheduled on-line. The only problem is that, when you click on one of the locations to schedule a test, the only options are "Regular Car / Pickup Truck" or "Commercial Vehicle." (Some locations only offer the "Regular Car / Pickup Truck.") What is found nowhere on the DPS web site is the fact that you need to schedule a driving test for a "Regular Car / Pickup Truck." If you take the written test before scheduling the driving test, the driving test location will have paperwork for you when you walk in and will know that you are there for the Class A or Class B skills test (you will need to take this test in your rig).

This took me two months and an in-person visit to a Texas DPS driver's license office to discover - and then only because a very helpful lady told me! All phone numbers for local offices are now shunted to Austin and all emails go to Austin - where you will receive canned responses that don't answer your questions.

I hope someone finds this helpful. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

PS - the material covered on the written exam is from Section 14, "Special Requirements," of the Texas CDL handbook which can be found on-line and downloaded.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
5 REPLIES 5

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
rowekmr wrote:
Locally RV's are exempt from testing if they are personal use. I wonder if this will spread nationwide or just a few select states? Do you know if any other states require testing for RV's?

Here's a link to a table that gives a pretty good run-down state-by state:

ChangeingGears DL Requirements

As alluded to above, in Texas - as in most states that have a special license requirement - this only applies to rigs that gross above 26,000 lbs. I don't know how big a motorhome has to be to hit the 26K point, but for fifths wheels, all it takes is a 14K trailer with a 1-ton dually.

In the states that do require a special license for your rig and you don't have one, you can get a citation for driving without a license. There are documented incidences of this happening in cases of license check points as well as accident situations - even if the RV driver wasn't at fault. Your insurance company can also choose to not cover you in an accident if you don't have the proper license. I don't want anyone to get "existed" (I think he meant exorcised). I just put this out there in the full-time forum because a lot of us who full time are domiciled in Texas.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
Locally RV's are exempt from testing if they are personal use. I wonder if this will spread nationwide or just a few select states? Do you know if any other states require testing for RV's?

Lots of states have this rule, not everyone knows about it. TX, PA, NV, NY are some examples of license based upon weight. In CA it is based upon length (> 40') for motorhome.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:

NY requires a road test for the 'R' endorsement to a Class D license required to operate an RV or combination RV and tow that exceeds 26,001 lbs GVWR. The 'R' endorsement replaced the previous Class C non-CDL license requirement in 2005.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
It's talking about vehicles weighing over 26,001 lbs (GVWR). My 30 foot motor home doesn't even make the list. I think he's talking about big Diesel pushers. So don't everybody get existed.