Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic Movie Storage

RGCG18
Explorer
Explorer
We are steadily inching towards retirement and fulltiming....Class of 2018

We bought a Big Truck last year....Chevy 3500
Still looking @ 5th wheels....think we are headed towards possibly a Cedar Creek

But how do u all store Classic movies ????? Sometime..somewhere I thought I saw a device that held like 1800 movies....

What do you do ???
RGCG18
Bob & Cheryl
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 DWD CC Diesel / Allison
Class of 2018
8 REPLIES 8

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we're still kind of Old School.

We gave most of DVD's away to DD and only kept our favorites. Then we would rent new Releases from BlockBuster. When they began closing that led us to buying Blu-ray DVD player and BR DVD's because the quality is so much better. They all go into a multi-case alphabetized to save space. But then we upgraded the 40" LCD to a 46" 3D LED TV and now we have to buy 3D Blu-rays if available. DD gets the DVD, DS gets the PC version and we keep the BR and 3D-BR in original cases.

Most of the better movies are on AMC, Encore or Movie Channels, so we hardly ever rent an HD movie from DirecTV. Our Internet is so slow, doubt we could download anything from Netflix like our DS does. I know the Data download would go over the limit which means big $'s.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
Media player for us too. They're cheap on Amazon.com It stores movies, music, pictures and mine also has 36 TV series. Our DVD player hasn't been turned on in a year.
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

WeGotLost
Explorer
Explorer
we just rip our library of movies and store them on our external drive(western digital passport). when we want to watch one we plug in the passport, plug the laptop into the hdmi on the tv and play the movie through windows media player or quicktime.

when you purchase new movies look for the ones that have a "digital copy". those will have either a pre ripped version for your computer or one you can download from itunes etc.
1995 f350
2007 Keystone Hornet 31rlds
2006 Hayabusa
2009 FZ6R

and a HAM to boot KD0WLB

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
external storage, an external hardrive
or a media server, which is multiple drives, in a box, setup as a network server

number of 'files/movies' to be stored depends on the format
direct DVD copies will take up 3 times the space as 'converted' movie/video files

but that means , converting each movie, rather than just 'copy/decrypting' to the external storage

i'm lazy, i have 3 terabytes of storage, i just 'rip/copy' the whole DVD to one of the external drives

i can watch them on the PC, or use the sony media player and watch them on the TV

i can also use the PC to watch them on the TV

they older the 'storage date' the more likely it will be accessed via the media player and watched on the TV

Western digital live media player works for me along with a 2 terabyte hardrive all connected to either 40" flat screens via hdmi cable. Also you can share your collection with your friends by simply copying whatever to a usb stick and I also store 45+ gigs of music as well.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a cabinet above sofa that DVD's go in.......then we swap out DVD's with friends/family when we pass thru.

Also many CG's have movies to rent for nominal fee
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MrWizard
external storage, an external hardrive
or a media server, which is multiple drives, in a box, setup as a network server

number of 'files/movies' to be stored depends on the format
direct DVD copies will take up 3 times the space as 'converted' movie/video files

but that means , converting each movie, rather than just 'copy/decrypting' to the external storage

i'm lazy, i have 3 terabytes of storage, i just 'rip/copy' the whole DVD to one of the external drives

i can watch them on the PC, or use the sony media player and watch them on the TV

i can also use the PC to watch them on the TV

they older the 'storage date' the more likely it will be accessed via the media player and watched on the TV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MattontheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Any device that would hold that many movies would be either an external hard drive or a USB stick as far as I'm aware. With either option, you'll need a PC or a laptop to watch them, but it can be easily connected with HDMI to a TV screen for viewing.
Matt

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of format are you talking about? Are you thinking about digital storage, tape, etc?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)