Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coach Registration by State - Question

Boozecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I've heard from fellow RV'ers about cost saving methods for registering your coach in Florida or South Dakota to reduce the impact of taxes imposed by your local state. GA is high!!!
We live 5 days a week in our Coach (5'er) in Georgia, soon to be fulltiming when the house sells in GA.
Our 5'er is less than one year old and is currently registered in GA.
What are the Pro's & Con's of regestering the Coach in a State with lower taxes, and what's the process? Where do you go to get started, and how long does it take.
Oh, if it helps or matters, we have land in Texas, but no house, just land with an address. but I think Texas is another high RV Tax rate?!?
Basically, I need the step by step - 101 Class, version.
Thanks in advance for your help!
2011 F250 SuperCrew Lariat 6.7L Diesel 4x4
Air Lift Airbags
2014 Bighorn 3570RS
12 REPLIES 12

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
We found when we went fulltime that SD fit us best....the process is simple. Contact a mail forwarding agency. We use My Home Address in Emery...they will handle registering all of your vehicles, etc. You will have to show up to obtain your drivers license, but I think you have six months to get that accomplished.

Health Insurance is not an issue for us as we have it through DH's retirement...I do understand that obtaining insurance can be challenging, but the forwarding service can usually help with that also
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
boozecamp, not sure when you bought 5er, but don't forget GA changed a lot of the registration costs and laws a couple of years ago. Not sure how 5ers and TT's work under the new laws, but for cars, you pay a large tax bite at purchase time, and then only pay basic registration fees each year thereafter ($20, I think).
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave your address in Texas then you pay Texas registration fees. Texas doesn't not do registration by value of RV but by weight. 26,000# is the point for motorhomes. Our MH weighed in just under 26,000# when we bought it because we hadn't put anything in it, so we are around $260 for the coach registration.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

labmansid
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious about something with all of this talk of different states and the associated costs. We are thinking of someday going full time, and don't have a motorhome yet, just a TT right now. What kind of registration fees are we looking at for a MH in different states such as TX, SD and FL? Say something in the $150,000 range. We currently live in TX, and would probably leave our address here if we make the leap.
Thanks

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Basically you could just wait until you sell then you will be free to go where ever you want. You still have to pay your income taxes from this year either way. I am in the planning myself in a few years. I will work the year. Retire in December and and move to the state where i will domicile. Right now it is between Texas and South Dakota, research in progress. Will still have to pay my taxes from my old state residence anyway then.
I just joined Escapees and recieved my membership number, package arrives next week, and can join the site after today to get more information.
If you are not a member join. There is a discount for membership this year, through 31 October 2014.
Hope this hepls. Best of luck,
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Boozecamp
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Boozecamp wrote:
Hummm, so its not that easy. I don't want to make another state my domicile, just eantto take advantage of taxes - but legally!

There is a difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. We can suggest the best states to have your domicile in when you full time to avoid large tax bits, but what you want us to do is to tell you how to evade taxes that your state, which you say you have no intention of leaving, levies on its citizens. Think about what you are asking someone to do.

Barb

There's a big difference between reading a post and understanding it, looks like you've made some wild assumptions. Did you skip over the word I used? 'legally'?
Come on tax lady! It's not April 15th yet. LOL.
Air Lift Airbags
2014 Bighorn 3570RS

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Boozecamp wrote:
Hummm, so its not that easy. I don't want to make another state my domicile, just eantto take advantage of taxes - but legally!

There is a difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. We can suggest the best states to have your domicile in when you full time to avoid large tax bits, but what you want us to do is to tell you how to evade taxes that your state, which you say you have no intention of leaving, levies on its citizens. Think about what you are asking someone to do.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've been on the board long enough to have at least seen posts on this subject. There's always the LLC route...

LLC posts

Please look through the posts in the link I provided. It's 101. Yes, it will take some effort from you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
Boozecamp wrote:

If you want to register an RV in a state you are not domiciled in your only legal alternative will be to form an LLC in the state you want to register in and have the LLC own it.

Boozecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Air Lift Airbags
2014 Bighorn 3570RS

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
There are other things to consider when selecting a new domicile state. Health insurance, vehicle insurance, estate taxes, income taxes, vehicle inspections and registration. I believe SD is one of the states where many fulltimers are experiencing problems now due to limited options for nationwide health coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a complicated subject, but most of your concerns will be here:

residency posts

Escapees.com are experts on this.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman