cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full tiime site cost

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
We have our house for sale. We made an offer on some land and hopefully will get to purchase it. We are still trying to decide if we want to do that or live in RV parks. I pretty well have our expenses figured put if we but the land. But i have no idea what monthly rates in an RV park or campground would run.

What is the highest rate tou have seen/paid? What do you consider to be an average rate?

I realize rates will vary a cording to location. But i just want a general idea.

The reason we decided on an RV and not to build is that we are both 77, have family in other states, and thought when one of us passes the other would probably move to where family is. We would have a place to live and only have to deal with selling land. Which, where we live should be fairly easy.
22 REPLIES 22

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Renting in the same area is likely to be cheaper and you don't have to worry about building codes and ongoing maintenance...plus if the place goes to heck, you just move.

Call up a few parks near where you are looking to buy land to see what they charge. The longer you stay the lower the rates. We had a summer spot for the last couple years that runs around $1500 for 6 months.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
The problem we found with owning our own place (4 acres W/well/septic/electric/buildings 2 mi down stream from I-25 on the Pecos River) is that you have to go back there 4 times every year, at a minimum. We need to check the place after the thaw in Spring, during the "monsoon" in summer, winterize in fall and once in winter see if any "critters" have tried to move in. Having a permanent place gives you somewhere to go back to but it also requires maintenance, security, and checking up on.

To answer your question about prices. Del Rio, Tx has Holiday Trav-L-Park near Lake Amistad with monthly rates of around $300 (last I checked) plus electric. They do have a club house, boat storage, and some activities. It is to hot in summer to stay there IMO but for 9 months of the year it is not bad-windy at times-but not bad weather most of the year. Great fishing/hunting spot if you like to fish, hunt, explore.

Another option is you can stay in NM State parks for 14 days for $4/day at W/E sites if you buy the $225 annual use pass. Most state parks are close to other state parks so you can go from park to park within a small area and stay 14 days at a time in each. one.
Turret Class traveler

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If you are located in the southeast corner of Alabama like your profile states, you will have minimal regulation about setting up a permanent pad on rural property you own. Just remember you need to set-up water, sewer and electric service just like you were building a home.

A quick check shows you should be able to find a RV facility with monthly stays in that area for under $500 a month plus the cost of metered electricity. That would be an RV Park that focuses on long term residents. The only ‘amenity’ would be a laundry facility. Coin operated of course. No WiFI. You would probably have to pay for a land phone line if you wanted reliable internet.

No lounge / activity building, no community activities, no pool, etc.

Closer to the coast but north of I-10 you should find several RV parks which focus on winter snowbirds. A fair park with an activity building and some planned group activities could be found for something near $600 per month plus metered electricity. However some of those parks do not want full-time residents in the summer.

A couple of our friends recently moved their permanent base from Arkansas to the Escapees Rainbow Plantation RV Park in Summerdale, on the east side of Mobile Bay - as long time Escapees members their rate will be under $400 plus electric. (Long term permanent sites are limited at that park and there is a waiting list).

Get the AllStays app or RVParky app for your smart phone. Or use their websites on your computer. Locate some RV parks in the area you are interested, and start calling them. No matter how far you have to travel, be sure to visit and talk to some at any park before you pay any money/ sign any contract.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above- there is no standard. You'll have to call around.

For instance, I know people live at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground. There are no weekly or monthly discounts and they pay something upwards of $150/night or more at times. When I looked at staying there for a month, I was looking at between $3,000-4,000.

Additionally, I explored (very briefly) what a monthly stay at Bluewater Key would be. In the peak season, they say they don't offer discounts. So you're looking anywhere from $150-200/night which would give you a monthly cost of $4,500-6,000. The off-season is cheaper, but still going to be expensive being a vacation resort.

And then there are the $250/month places in the middle of nowhere. 🙂
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In Southern California the Full Hookup Monthly Rates can be as high as $2500 plus an electric usage charge in an RV resort near the ocean or a lake.

Take a look at the monthly expense posts on this website. They have shown what they paid for sites each month during their 10 plus years as fulltime RV'ers
http://www.rv-dreams.com/financial-information.html

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying land for an RV to use. Ensure you are going to be able to get a permit for well and septic and that an RV is allowed by local code.
One way I have seen people get around this is if there is a house or mobile home that has burned. Sometimes you MAY be able to set up there, especially if there is an outbuilding ie, garage etc which contains the well and maybe a sink. Then you can often tie in an RV to the existing systems without running afoul of the permitting process.

As far as the permanent park, there are quite a few parks that are setup for 55+ folks to live full time. I was just reading about some in Mesa Az. yesterday after seeing some post on this site. Most seem to start about $60k and go up to $250k or more, for a lot and park home, but that does not cover whatever the HOA or management company charged monthly for services. There are a lot out there, but you will have to settle on an area and then start your research.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
We have seen low cost parks around $300 per month with few amenities to over $1500 a month with lots of amenities and great location. ALL long stays tend to add the cost of electricity to the base fee. Running your AC can be very expensive...........

Really is so dependent upon location, amenities and surrounding tourist/snowbird draw. May you find the perfect spot for you.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Park rates vary widely. They can run fron as low as 250 to as much as a thousand a month. Plus electricity. It all depends on amenities, location, and demand. If your going to sit permanently firget an RV and getmeither a park model or a mfg home. Either would give you more room, have better insulation, and be far cheaper.