cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Time, Selling Everything

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about full-timing but have lots of questions. Will ask my questions one at a time/post.

One of the things I see is people saying is that they are selling everything including the house. This makes me wonder what do they do when they get to old to full-time RV? We were thinking of renting the house just in case we can't RV any longer.

What are your options and suggestions for going full-time RVing?

Thanks,
Craig
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab
30 REPLIES 30

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Well thanks to everyone for posting ideas on full-timing. Lots to think about before making the big jump before hitting the road.

Thinking we will rent the house for a while, just in case we have to come back. Though I'm not against selling it later if we find a nicer place to live out there somewhere with no snow.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to the post. We had a couple of deaths in the family and that took our minds off everything else.

Thanks again for all the advise,
Craig

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the actual emotional parting with things permanently will be easier for us than some.

When we emigrated in the early 90's from the UK to Canada, we literally arrived at Pearson Airport at the time as a family of 4 with a combination of all our worldly possessions in 13 suitcases/bags between the 4 of us.

I remember like it was yesterday looking at my hubby and two children looking so bedraggled from the then long haul flight, thinking "OMG, what have I done to us all?"

Well guess what, not one of them wants to ever return back to their homelands, and have loved their lives to the fullest. The youngest aged 4 at the time said after a few weeks and brought a tear to my eye "Mummy, when am I going back to my own bed?" So cute.

We live by the Nike motto now "Just Do It". Daughter even has that discretely tattooed on the inside of her foot arch with the tick logo since she was 18.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
The ones who reply using "I" need a lot less stuff than the ones who talk about "we".

🙂
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

jefferyofsky
Explorer
Explorer
Calicajun wrote:
his makes me wonder what do they do when they get to old to full-time RV? We were thinking of renting the house just in case we can't RV any longer.

Hi Craig,

When I made a life change I went down to 55 items. I could have went lower and lived under a tree. When I had realized the things I COULD NO LONGER DO IN MY LIFE, it helped me accept the things that I WANTED TO DO.

So, I will be a little flippant, to maybe give you a new perspective. First of all, it is great you are a positive thinking, and you think you will be getting old. I am wondering if that is what kept you at work, or raising children, making money, upgrading home to home, or many of the things people do? So I am saying, here you are, you have this move ahead of you, and you made it this far, but right now you could have been on the way out, maybe got a bad health diagnosis, and in that light, the foundations you laid over the past years, have they helped you or hindered you?

So first, if you do keep your property, give it to a management company and forget about it is my perspective. You will have enough stress on the road, as little things come up, where you do not need to worry about a house back home some person just painted the rooms black.

Second, are you so sure you want to return to where you house is now? Once you get out there in freedom, do you think your values will be the same? Do you think you will like new things? I bet in 2 years your friends will not recognize you, you will have outgrown them, and maybe even the community your house is in. Why delay the inevitable.

Also getting rid of the house will force you to get rid of the ****, that maybe you gathered raising kids, etc.. Look you can get anything you need for a small amount. If I want a panderno frying pan, I go to Value Villiage Thrift, and I pay $7. If I get bored of it I gift it back, and the total cost of onwership was $7. One day we went into a small town, and got a Omega 3 juicer for $30. Six months later, it was taking up space, hard to clean since we have no water inside camper, so we sold it. I got $100 for it.

The point is, all that stuff you think is so great, is at a thrift store. I bet we have less than $200 in our cookware, and we get bored gift this metal bowl, etc. I mean there is no shortage of **** in the world.

One day we went into a Liquidation store in Vancouver, and they had these nice bowels one broken for $10. We got them, and one the way out of tow took our old bowels and threw them in donation bin. We like them, but there is no shortage of more.

Everywhere we go, we see the same ****. Recently I was in a store and they had one of those microwave pressure cookers, regular $99 for $30. So we got it, we like it, and hell we might give it away some day.

My point it, really don't you want new **** in the future, when you change your life, or do you want to be defined by your old life. how can you make a new life, with the tether of the old one.

So basically, this post is part of your own fear, your logical mind keeping you from enjoying your life. I hope it does not take a doctor telling you, hey bud, you got 10 days to live, and have terminal cancer cause you are stressed with your life, and the stress caused it.

Just do what you have to do, but really, your spirit is not defined by your body. The only thing you might worry about is health care, so if you sell your house, make sure you secure good health care so you can be less stress free.

However even that, I had two bad teeth, it was going to be about $600 to take them out, the community I am in now had a public health clinic for homeless people, I applied and passed, low income, and got a partial cleaning, two extractions, and a filling for $164.

you will have problem, and when you have them, why have a house to run back to.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
rkortes wrote:
DianneOK wrote:
We did..."everything wrong" We both retired early (54). We had never RVed except for a 2 week stint in a rented trailer.

Sold the farm and everything we owned. Changed everything to SD. Had no idea where we were going. Went from a big home, land and jobs where maybe saw each other for a few hours each day to 300sf/24 hours a day.

It all clicked on day one. Nine years passed so quickly. We don't regret one minute.

Everyone is different....

So, I don't see what did you do wrong. We are thinking about a similar approach, but more info on your mistakes would be useful.

She'll probably come back and answer but I don't think she meant to imply that she really did things wrong but more likely... not by the book and it turned out great.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
We did..."everything wrong" We both retired early (54). We had never RVed except for a 2 week stint in a rented trailer.

Sold the farm and everything we owned. Changed everything to SD. Had no idea where we were going. Went from a big home, land and jobs where maybe saw each other for a few hours each day to 300sf/24 hours a day.

It all clicked on day one. Nine years passed so quickly. We don't regret one minute.

So, I don't see what did you do wrong. We are thinking about a similar approach, but more info on your mistakes would be useful.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We KNEW we would NOT be returning to same area WHEN it was time to come off the road.
(Baldy Mesa....between Victorville/Phelan off 395)

We KNEW we would NOT want to deal with renting out house while we were on the road.......didn't what that concern

We KNEW we didn't want to pay storage fees while on the road.....$$ spent for stuff not being used.

We KNEW we would some day stop FT travel so we had an 'Exit Plan'

We bought truck/5th wheel.....loaded things we KNEW we needed, things we THOUGHT we needed and things we WANTED to keep
Told family then friends....come get what you want
Then had an Estate Sale and sold everything left.
Sold House and LEFT for a new adventure/lifestyle

7 wonderful/awesome yrs we got to travel all over the USA using secondary/back roads----seeing/experiencing this vagabond lifestyle.
Staying/traveling when/where we wanted to go.

Then life threw a curve ball.....so when are now back in a S&B (with FHU next to house) enjoying a different phase in our life (took a bit of 'transitioning' to say the least but it's all good!)

Everyone has to make decisions based on what is best for THEM

Even though we are no longer on the road we wouldn't change a thing......it was a fantastic 7 years that we got to do/enjoy/experience.

Good luck.......and best wishes.

This is the model that my wife and I will probably implement when we retire in a few years. I like the idea of cutting ties with where we've been living for 30 years and roaming the planet for a half a dozen years or so. Being unencumbered from a home and dealing with a rental is a liberating thought. Thanks for putting this so succinctly Old-Biscuit.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I had decided a few things before I went full time.

I did not want the potential hassles of renting my house and trying to be a long distance landlord, dealing with taxes, etc. So the house got sold. I'm pretty sure that was the right decision.

Next, there were some things that I wanted to keep but not take with me - space is valuable in a fiver ! Roll away tool box AND TOOLS, Pictures, Life insurance paperwork, Tax returns, Christmas decorations, etc. Once I knew I wanted to keep SOME things, I decided to also keep some 'optional' things - Like an almost new washer and dryer. And a few other things. So I rent a 10x10 heated and air conditioned space for $90/month.

I figure I could rent a smaller space for less money just for my files and 'essentials', but I have loaned out some things to my kids which would not have bneen possible had I just sold everything and I regularly visit the space and use it to store things I'm not using at the time in my travels - extra space heaters, propane grill, etc. So it has value that way too.

I also decided that when I gave up the full time lifestyle I would not want to own a house/condo etc that required me to do yardwork - so I got rid of everything that was yard work related.

I think the big thing is that, at least in my case, there are some things I simply want to keep that I don't want to take with me.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to sell our house and closed May of last year. In April we went on a two week vacation and while we were gone we had an estate sale. Came home to a totally empty house and closed the following week.

We do have a 10' x 10' indoor storage unit that costs us ~$1400 a year. Not a big deal on the cost and some of the items we just didn't want to let go of.

When we sold the home we knew it was too large and didn't know where we wanted to live in the future, so the decision to sell was an easy one.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good article by a full-timing couple and dealing with their storage unit.

http://wheelingit.us/2016/01/16/making-memories-getting-rid-of-them/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
If you're not sure about parting with your possessions I suggest storing them for the first few months. Once you have full-timed for a while you can decide if you are going to bail out or stay with it. If you're going to stay with it you can sell off your belongings from the storage unit. I want to full-time to see lots of areas in this country and if I get bored with that I can live in one I like; maybe in a dedicated resort-style RV park where I can buy a lot for my RV, if I like life in the RV. As others have pointed out not everyone returns to "sticks and bricks" after they get tired of travelling (if they get tired of travelling). And if you do get tired of travelling you could get a large 5th wheel or park model with no tow vehicle, park it more or less permanently, and save a lot of money on housing costs.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote

"You don't indicate how much RVing experience you have but I can assure you that I would not sell everything until I knew that I would embrace the lifestyle and have a sort of clear path to ensure the lifestyle long enough to make selling some things worth the effort. Go for six months first before committing to any full time lifestyle changes. Full time RVing is not a vacation every day. It is living in the RV with many of the same living issues that you had living in a house without, of course, the house. Sure, you can move with the seasons, change locations, try out new places, etc. but you still have to do all the things that is part and parcel for basic living."

This is why I ask questions on the forum, as I always seem to miss or forget something. 🙂

We have been Camping/Rv'ing since 1986, started with a couple of tents, when a 23' TT to 28' TT (miss that Holiday Rambler) to a tent trailer and back to a 31' TT with two slides (just sold the 31" TT). Most trips were 3 to 4 days at a time with a couple of one to two week vacations. All trips out of town were great fun but too short.

We are now looking at 5er's in the 35 to 37 foot range. Just more space in the 5er's and the wife want the bigger appliances for full-timing or even long vacations.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Calicajun wrote:
Lots a good things to think about in the replies so far.

Thanks,
Craig

Consider this: Keeping your stuff is really no more than an escape hatch or a parachute that enables you to stop full timing when things get a bit rough instead of just toughing it out and dealing with adversity. (Not that there is a lot of that out here on the road)

Selling off the stuff makes it more likely that you will be in the mindset to succeed and enjoy yourself and stick with it.

"Attachment is Suffering"....Buddha