cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-Time with no toad

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
I know I've seen this discussed a while back, but can't find it, so here goes. We plan to go full-time next year. We have a 34' Class A and plan to start out with no tow vehicle. I'm interesting to hear from others who have done this and how it worked out for you.

To further clarify, we plan to be fairly "nomadic" for several years. Traveling to national (and state) parks, bluegrass festivals, amusement parks, etc. We do not plan to drive to one place and be parked for months at a time. When we reach a point where we plan to be in one place for an extended time, we know we'll want one.

We are in our mid/late 50s and in decent shape. We can walk and ride bicycles for "close errands".

Shopping/haircuts/laundry/banking can be done on "travel days."

For several of the national parks, we know we'll want to rent a car to further explore.

We've done several 3 month long trips and one 7 month trip with no toad (in a 24' RV). So, we have an idea how it works. Sure, there were times a car would have been handy. But, with bikes, buses, cabs and rental cars, we still think it's a much cheaper option and really not that inconvenient.

We'd love to hear from people who are DOING it. Or HAVE done it.
19 REPLIES 19

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutchmen, re: Keep doing what you're doing... But, it's still good to learn from the success (or failures) of others! 🙂

We actually never HAVE rented a car, even on our 7 month trip. But, we're sure we will. Even cabs have been very minimal. But, we know that our pace will be "slower" once we're FULL time. Even at 7 months, we had a "route" and a "deadline".

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
with a 34' it won't work the same as it did with the 24'. Parking won't be quite as easy as it was on your "travel days"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Sourdough Biscuits wrote:

We've done several 3 month long trips and one 7 month trip with no toad (in a 24' RV). So, we have an idea how it works. Sure, there were times a car would have been handy. But, with bikes, buses, cabs and rental cars, we still think it's a much cheaper option and really not that inconvenient.

We'd love to hear from people who are DOING it. Or HAVE done it.

Sounds like you have already figured out what works for you.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"We've done several 3 month long trips and one 7 month trip with no toad (in a 24' RV). So, we have an idea how it works. Sure, there were times a car would have been handy. But, with bikes, buses, cabs and rental cars, we still think it's a much cheaper option and really not that inconvenient."

Sounds to me like, you've already got it figured out and you've learned to to make it fit and work for your life style ! Keep doing what you've been doing and don't change a thing!

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck In over 18 years of Full Time in a 33' now 34' DP.
I have always traveled with a Motorcycle(9 years in enclosed trailer) or a toad.

Slow down and take advantage of campground weekly rates and explorer the area in your own toad.
Tow 4 down toads can be gotten cheap under 5K and around 2K to set up for towing.
Saves a lot of time spent trying to rent, if even available in the area you want to explore.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am