cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full time with travel trailer

Mrs_Funky
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! I am looking to go full time with a travel trailer. We are looking to get about 26 to 30 feet. Based on most of the posts here it seems likes used is the popular way to go. I am looking for any advice on finding/purchasing a quality trailer, also want to know how we know what kind of trailer our vehicle can pull. We haven't bought our tow vehicle yet either so wondering if a standard v-6 or l-4 suv could pull something like that or how we would know. Also looking for any advice and wisdom you have to offer. Looking on any advice for full time as well. I am disabled and receiving ssdi. My wife will quitting her job when we hit the road but the plan is to park at a local park for two years till we pay off the truck. I am blogging our experience and info of our full plan can be found at

http://fromapartmenttotrailer.wordpress.com/

Thanks Mrs_Funky
Newbie with a sense of adventure!
14 REPLIES 14

Rattlepated
Explorer
Explorer
I was just in the same decision situation trying to find an suv that would pull a 29-32 foot trailer. The only one that worked out according to my limited math skills was a Ford Excursion with the 6L turbo diesel. I think it had 11000 lbs towing capacity. I never found one that had low enough miles (production ended in 05 or 06). We got a light 29 footer at 7000 lbs dry, but we carry a lot of extra stuff so we got a diesel Dodge Ram 2500 with 13000 lbs capacity. Since your going full time, I would recommend getting at least a 3/4 ton truck or bigger if you can afford it. You can get a topper and use that for storage too if you don't get a 5th wheel.

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you are going to full time you would be much happier in a 5th wheel and you will need a good truck to pull it. If you are like us we seem to have a lots of stuff we just can not do without and a 5th has more storage space.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Mrs_Funky wrote:
Hi! I am looking to go full time with a travel trailer. We are looking to get about 26 to 30 feet. Based on most of the posts here it seems likes used is the popular way to go. I am looking for any advice on finding/purchasing a quality trailer, also want to know how we know what kind of trailer our vehicle can pull. We haven't bought our tow vehicle yet either so wondering if a standard v-6 or l-4 suv could pull something like that or how we would know. Also looking for any advice and wisdom you have to offer. Looking on any advice for full time as well. I am disabled and receiving ssdi. My wife will quitting her job when we hit the road but the plan is to park at a local park for two years till we pay off the truck. I am blogging our experience and info of our full plan can be found at

http://fromapartmenttotrailer.wordpress.com/

Thanks Mrs_Funky
Newbie with a sense of adventure!

The only Travel Trailer that I can think of that is towable with a 6 Cylinder Suv is a Trailmanor. You can find their Website here.
It is collapsible like a Hi-lo. Their 2014, 2417 Model has 3 Floor Plans. It has a two bed model, a slide out living room with a sofa bed model, and a slide out dinette model. They also feature a full kitchen with sink, 3-way refrigerator, and two-burner stove. And the 2417 Series features a hardwall wet bath with shower and cassette toilet as a standard feature. I hope that Helps. This Year is the first Year that they have a Model with a Slide. It has an expanded Length of 24 Feet I believe. There are used Trailmanors that are available without the Slide.
God Bless!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion...if you're planning to park at a RV park for two years, why not just rent a mobile home for those two years without buying anything until you're ready to move around? A mobile home will have much better insulation for the winter months and will give you more room for your 'stuff' - letting you take your time with sorting it out before your RV purchase. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bobsbbq
Explorer
Explorer
Some very good answers already. Make sure you have as many cabinets and drawers as you can get. Also a comfortable living area. I would suggest a rear living area if it is just the two of you. IMHO you need at least a newer 1/2 tom truck or larger SUV.

We have been full time in ours for 6 months. We have a 30.8" TT which weighs 6450 lbs loaded. It pulls great but in higher winds you will feel it and can make even the calmest person nervous. We were in a similar situation as you. We did not want to waste money on renting a house or apartment. Do to recent Bankruptcy we knew buying through traditional financing was out of the question though. We found a rare RV dealer who does in house financing and got our on a 2 yr note. At least we have a asset when it is paid for. I'm also disabled and we have fixed budgets, and we have a family of 4.

Our choices were limited when we needed our TT and I can tell you after living in it for 6 months some of the things I regret and wished I had.

We don't have any drawers, None. This is the most important thing for tableware and utensils when you are living in one. We have a lot of cabinets for storage but the lack of drawers is bad. Do to having two kids we are limited to our floor plans. But in the future I will get one with a rear living room and a queen bed in front, and with bunk beds in a slide. We removed half of our kitchen dinette booth to make more room. The kids can sit on one side and we have a nice chair on the other side. This provides for lots of extra walking room as well. We also have two laptop desks that serve as eating trays on our sofa for me and the wife. If my silde did not have the mechanism under the sofa I would remove it and place two swivel recliners.

As for comfort we get by in a 30' and are doing ok. It would be even better with a rear living area though.

We don't regret our decision and are looking forward to upgrading in the future. As many have pointed out it is difficult to know what will make you happy in the long run. Do as much looking at RV shows and dealers as possible before making your choice. Good luck to you.
5th Wheel 2002 Sunny Brook Mobile Scout 31BWFS

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
Do continue your research on this lifestyle you are considering. You need to understand that when something breaks or stops working or freezes up on a used travel trailer, you will need to be able to cope with the problem and most likely need to learn to fix things yourself since you are on a limited budget.

Good luck, but go in with your eyes open!
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
While it is certainly possible for two to full time in a TT, I see very few people doing it. Storage space is quite limited compared to a 5th wheel trailer or Class A motor home.
Most people that full time have one or the other.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice so far. Here are a couple of links that you might find useful - http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/

http://www.hitchitch.com/links.html

Nice start on your blog. Good luck with your plans!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Shelbs wrote:
I clearly remember the dealer telling me I would have no problem towing my new 23 ft. hybrid with a v6 GMC Envoy. By the time I had traveled the 50 miles home with the new rig, I was ready to drive them both off a cliff.

:B

It's always good to hear that I was not the only newbie to experience that very same thing.

I didn't even complete my first trip with my set up. I turned around and drove it back to the dealers lot. And at 2:00am I unhooked that TT and dropped it, and went home to rethink my RV'ing.

And yes my tow vehicle was an SUV also. Too short of a wheel base.

To the OP: Do not take your towing advice from the RV salesman, step away from the RV salesman when it comes to determining your vehicle's towing capabilities.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Hoosier welcome Mrs_Funky.

I'd recommend you find the trailer you want and then find the tow vehicle. You will also find based on the size TT 26-30" that you will need move vehicle than you realize based on the V-6 or I-4.

A 30? TT can weigh 7-9,000# empty or dry. Add another 1,000# of stuff which can be more full timing and now you need to tow 8-11,000#.

The tongue weight is normally around 10-15% of the TT's loaded weight leaning toward the 15% side. 15% of 10,000# so your hanging 1,000# to 1,500# off your vehicle. Talking pick up or SUV/van area.

These are some rough numbers to get you thinking. Also If you buy a used truck remember that there was a "tow war" starting back around 2005 so a newer truck will haul much more than an older truck according to the manufactures.

Tow capacity changes based upon engine, transmission (auto's normally higher capacity), rear end gear ratios and if the vehicle came with a tow package (larger oil cooler, trans oil cooler, etc...) IE not all 1500/F150's created equal.

5th wheels are popular to full time due to their space and ease of towing but they run 20-25% hitch weights and need a larger truck to carry the extra hitch weight often 2,500-3,000#.

Don't know about your disability my partner has them and so we tailored the trailer to fit her needs. Some people find the Toy Hauler helps with scoter and other mobility issues.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum!!

Good advise so far. My added advice is to take your time. Go to big dealerships with lots of inventory or go to shows and look at as many different floorplans as possible. Spend time in the ones that you find most interesting going through the actual motions of cooking, showering, etc. Actually sit on the toilet. Make sure that there is a place for you and/or your spouse to sit comfortably and watch TV if that will be important to you. Try to envision where different items will be stored. Look at the cargo carrying capacity; with two people fulltime, I would want at least 2,000# and 3,000# would be even better.

This article might help you determine what will tow what.

Good luck with your search for the right trailer for you.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a first time buyer, absolutely buy used. Now a 30 foot TT could potentially weigh close to 10,000 pounds when ready to go, especially for a full timer. Do you actually think you could move that much weight with a mini car? Not going to happen. For that much trailer you are going to want a 3/4 ton truck at minimum. There are several quality brands of trailers to consider. What are your wants and needs? That is the big deciding factor. Make a trip to an rv show or at least a few dealers looking at floor plans and decide what you will be happy living in. Then start shopping.

Shelbs
Explorer
Explorer
I clearly remember the dealer telling me I would have no problem towing my new 23 ft. hybrid with a v6 GMC Envoy. By the time I had traveled the 50 miles home with the new rig, I was ready to drive them both off a cliff.

Will you be able to tow a 26-30ft trailer with an SUV? Maybe. But I promise you it will NOT be as enjoyable experience as it should be. Spending all my travel time in a wrestling match with the steering wheel is not my idea of a good time!

As for your choice of trailer, I am not a big fan of used RV's. I worked in the Service Dept of RV Dealerships long enough and have seen enough traded in used coaches to know that buying used is a big risk. That said, there are good used trailers out there. Just be very careful. Especially if you buy from a private owner, have a certified RV Tech give it a once over so that the surprises are limited.

Good luck and happy trails!
Steven
Faith
Abby and Sierra
2014 F250 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
http://www.sunbeltmobilerv.com

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
First off, welcome to the forum. I hope that people here can steer you in the right direction.

For a 26 to 30 foot trailer, and you want to pull with an SUV, you will probably looking at the largest SUVs. My 4400 pound 21 footer is about the max that I can tow with my 2.8l Diesel, and you being new to the scene, I would not recommend my setup. I have been towing for over 20 years, so I am comfortable with it.

Now, you say you will have this "parked in a local park for two years". Now, you mean RV park? In Indiana? There is a lot to consider there, since Indiana does get cold. The low end trailers are good from Spring to Fall. You would need a unit that is made with an "arctic package" (name varies by brand) that includes better windows, insulation, and heated underbelly, and tank heaters.

Here is a good link here to help you get started. I hope others will chime in with HELPFUL advise.
www.learntorv.com
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized