cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full timing and repairs

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
Have a quick question for the full timers. If something happens to your rig; ie blow a tire and take out the skirting, or whatever. How long do are you expected to wait for repairs? Do you have the parts ordered and still live in the rig (provided its still safe to do so), then when the parts come in take it down and have it repaired? We're not full timing yet, but we have been waiting over a month for the parts to come in on a rig that is still in production. My wife is really nervous now in case this happens to us when we do hit the road full time. Thanks!
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)
18 REPLIES 18

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do all you can to keep your rig in road-worthy condition. Don't run tires until they blow, don't wring every last volt out of your batteries, and do your scheduled maintenance.

The hardest part of being laid up is the realization that you yourself could have prevented it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We for the first time in all our years of RVing, 8 as full timers, were stopped on the road due to a repair. We were stopped for eleven days trying to hunt down the correct part, have it shipped, and then have it replaced. We were in a campground originally in for just an overnight stop but they were able to let us stay on the same site and fortunately near a RV dealer/repair facility located right next to the campground. The repair person came to our campsite to check out the problem and then came back to install the part. We have had times where we had to stay at a hotel because the unit could not be released for us to stay in but this really was not for repairs but for the installation of a generator. Usually, we are able to stay in our 5th wheel at the service facility.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the years, we've had an engine replaced, a transmission replaced, and a complete rear axle assembly replaced in various motorhomes while traveling. The rear axle assembly took the longest at 2 weeks, mostly due to delays in finding a suitable donor unit and getting it shipped in. The engine took just 10 days, and the transmission 5 days, both including shipping time. We were able to continue staying in the RV in all cases, other then while it was actually being worked on. For the transmission R&R, the shop towed us to a nearby RV Park while we waited for it to ship in. The replacement itself only took one day. We just "roll with the flow" in those situations and make the best of it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I've had to stay in a motel or with friends a few times. I consider it a normal RV expense.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter