cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full timing FW

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing a travel trailer for a while, but are planning to buy a FW and tow vehicle and start full timing. What features should we look for in a FW, with a view toward full timing? I'd imagine that it should have plumbing for washer/dryer: heated holding tanks; and space for a generator. Anything else? Recommended makes/models?
27 REPLIES 27

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
We have been full timing for about 8 years and here are some of our must haves: 8K Moryde IS Suspension, 17.5 tires, hydraulic disc brakes, rooftop satellite, Onan 5500 LP generator, stackable washer and dryer, big kitchen, lots of storage, large holding tanks, and TV across from our recliners. These are our must haves. I would not be without some sort of washer and dryer. Have you seen the condition of public laundries? This means that you will have to find an RV rated for full time use and most of those manufacturers have gone out of business so you may have to look at the used market. (Think Carriage, NuWa, Teton, Travel Supreme, Excel). And I think Arctic Fox is also a good unit. A full timing unit will be heavy and require a big truck (think one ton dually). Just my opinion.

Thanks! Going on the used market brings up a "chicken and the egg situation." How do you take possession of a 5th wheel without a tow vehicle, and how do you purchase the right tow vehicle without knowing the numbers--eg weight--on the RV that you do not have?

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have been full timing for about 8 years and here are some of our must haves: 8K Moryde IS Suspension, 17.5 tires, hydraulic disc brakes, rooftop satellite, Onan 5500 LP generator, stackable washer and dryer, big kitchen, lots of storage, large holding tanks, and TV across from our recliners. These are our must haves. I would not be without some sort of washer and dryer. Have you seen the condition of public laundries? This means that you will have to find an RV rated for full time use and most of those manufacturers have gone out of business so you may have to look at the used market. (Think Carriage, NuWa, Teton, Travel Supreme, Excel). And I think Arctic Fox is also a good unit. A full timing unit will be heavy and require a big truck (think one ton dually). Just my opinion.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
noplace2 wrote:
OTOH, we despise A/C,
Why, money?

I believe I explained in my post that it has nothing to do with expense. We simply don't enjoy artificial cold.

This does however give an opportunity to include something that I failed to in my original post. We are all different and experience these things in myriad ways. While people can offer their opinions based on how THEY perceive it, NO ONE can give you any valid information, because they are not you.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
noplace2 wrote:
OTOH, we despise A/C,
Why, money?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Dual pane tinted windows

Two air conditioners

Again, this points out the fact that we are all different. That, of course, is a good thing. These folks apparently need to be cool. OTOH, we despise A/C, never using it unless temps reach 95F and humidity above 80% and even then it's whether to turn the fan up another notch. Unless there is no air moving outside, we usually opt for the greater fan speed. Did I mention that we REALLY don't like A/C?

It's really not a monetary issue for us, but just an aside: We've been in our current N. FL location for a month. Temps have averaged 90H to 70L. We run our refrig on propane. Our entire monthly outlay for energy was $33. Our neighbor racked up $151 not including any propane usage. But then again, he keeps his rig at 72F. At 72, we'd consider turning on the furnace!

Different strokes. ๐Ÿ™‚
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Take a look at Artic Fox, they are a well built 5er. I personally would stay away from most of the 5er's built by Thor but they control the RV market these days.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dual pane tinted windows

Two air conditioners

Re-think the washer/dryer - you can do two weeks' worth in 1-1/2 hours in the town laundry...especially helpful if you like public parks. W/D = doing laundry constantly in small amounts. You also need full hookups.

Make sure your truck is suitable to tow the 5th wheel. They are heavy nowadays.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Most 5th wheels considered suitable for full time are 50amp, have w/d prep a second AC, important if you plan on spending time in hot humid areas. A nice option is a dual temp AC with heat pump, which is nice if you're not paying for electric as in most daily or weekly rates.

If you plan on boondocking you will want a generator and/or solar. We went 5 years without a generator, in those five years I could count on one hand the number of times we weren't on hookups, I can also count the number of times we've used it since then.

Again if boondocking you'll want large holding tanks and fresh water tank. If that is not in your future and hookups are your thing no need for mega tanks. We can go a week with our 60f/50g/50b, it's sponge baths and paper plates.

To me carry capacity extremely important. We have 3000 lbs, before water, propane and to me that is the bare minimum.

These are the things I would look for in a 5th wheel but they are the things that are important to the way we travel. Another poster said, make sure you can use the bed, bath and refrigerator with the slides in, not important to us as only the potty needs to be accessible for us as we seldom travel more than 5 hours/250 miles a day and with a good breakfast there,should no need for more than a potty break for both us and the dog.

I hope my thoughts are helpful.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Just one piece of advice - make sure the wife is very happy with the kitchen area

I (male) am the only one who cooks and/or cares about the kitchen. My wife is far more concerned about another area in the rig.:D

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
A couple who did a good job of describing their process, and the good/ bad since are RV-Dreams

Just one piece of advice - make sure the wife is very happy with the kitchen area, and she should be happy with the rest of the layout also.

You'd hate to get into a situation where you have to give up one - the wife or the RV.

Expensive to replace either.

But also be aware, very few folks buy the perfect RV the first time. It takes some time living in them to realize what does/ does not work. Sometimes a cheaper used or smaller rig might be best, planning to replace it in three or four years.

Heated holding tanks/ underbelly are pretty standard on non-basic 5th wheels. Generator - depends upon where you will be camping.

Going from a TT to a 5er changes where you can camp. Know a couple folks who went to a TT because their 5er was too tall to fit under trees on many western states forest service and NPS campgrounds. Not just in campsites, but the roads in the campground.

A TT is 11 to 11 1/2 feet high. A 5er is 13 to 13 1/2 feet high. Since you mentioned a generator, I'm guessing you are talking about boondocking quite a bit.

The RV market is changing. One major well respected MFR now equips their models with an induction cooktop and a four door Propane/Electric fridge. I guess they assume everyone who wants the boondocking fridge will be cooking outside.

If you are wanting a washer/dryer - you might not be talking about boondocking. Either a generator or a W/D will add a good bit of weight. Probably don't need both, but your requirements are your own.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if you can find one that allows for use of the bathroom, stove, frig when your slides are in. Nice to be able to use those things when you stop for a break on travel days. You don't want to deploy slides when just stopping in a parking lot or rest area somewhere.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Spend time looking around. People have different wants and needs. Don't rush a decision.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A big, heavy, expensive one. You probably don't need to make 3 posts about it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman