cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

full timing smells

dmeck
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I are living in our camper full time while we save to build a new house. We have it backed into my shop. It has full hook ups but I don't open the valves until the tanks get full. The problem we are having is a real bad smell when I dump the tanks. I think it is coming from the roof vent. We don't have a smell any other time. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to help with the smell?
Thanks Dave.
8 REPLIES 8

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
If it only happens when you dump the tanks, maybe you could put a clothespin on your nose for the duration. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yah, I don't quite get this post. Dumping a tank always smells, fulltime, parttime.. whatever.
And, especially in hot weather, it's my grey water that usually smells the worst, since I use a deodorizing solution in my black tank.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mockturtle wrote:
If it only happens when you dump the tanks, maybe you could put a clothespin on your nose for the duration. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yah, I don't quite get this post. Dumping a tank always smells, fulltime, parttime.. whatever.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Basicaly, the system normally relies on being outside where an odor vented 11' up, gets dispersed quickly before it's paticularly noticable. You on the other hand have trapped it in an enclosed space.

If you don't want to punch a hole thru the roof or add powered vent, simply plan on pulling the valve when you are about to leave. By the time you return in a few hours, the odor should have dissipated and you can close the valve.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
use a product called Happy camper. it will eliminate odors for you

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
calamus wrote:
We did the same thing when we were working on our house. Try buying some pvc and pop the cap on the vent on roof of the rv run it out through the roof, we parked it so I had a exhaust hood over the water heater to vent out a window if you dont have that get a co detector, We lived in our for 6 months thru the winter and with the wood stove we left the door open and had a washer and dryer. Then we moved back into the house.

Excellent advice.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dmeck wrote:
problem we are having is a real bad smell when I dump the tanks.
Actually it's pretty darn difficult to dump a black tank and not get smell. Ever been downwind of a dump station?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same thing when we were working on our house. Try buying some pvc and pop the cap on the vent on roof of the rv run it out through the roof, we parked it so I had a exhaust hood over the water heater to vent out a window if you dont have that get a co detector, We lived in our for 6 months thru the winter and with the wood stove we left the door open and had a washer and dryer. Then we moved back into the house.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon