cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fulltime women - wardrobe questions

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies, even if we are fulltiming with limited clothes storage, life keeps happening. Weddings and christenings and milestone anniversaries or birtdays and holidays back home and trips to the city and all kinds of things require something besides t-shirts and jeans. What are the basic items you carry with you to be prepared?
29 REPLIES 29

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
my good clothes are hanging because I don't want to have to clean them before use. I keep my down comforter in a shrink wrap bag and hope I don't have to pull it out ๐Ÿ™‚
We don't carry an iron because MOST things don't need to be ironed and many of the RV parks we stay in have an iron and an ironing board if I need it. If I were desperate I'd just bring something to the cleaners to get pressed, but I have only had to do that for my husband's dress shirt.

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Do those shrink-wrap bags leave the clothes all wrinkled, or are they OK to wear. An iron is not on my list to bring along!

I would think they would wrinkle like crazy. As a full-timer I definitely use an iron and have one of the table top ironing boards. The ironing board hangs from a hook in my closet and the iron tucks neatly in a drawer in my bathroom.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
In my nine years of fulltiming, I wore my one skirt one time. I had 2 pair of nice slacks, a couple of nice tops, one pair of dress shoes. I also had several tops that I could dress up or down. I did bring an iron and small tabletop board, which I used occasionally. Jeans, shorts, tees, denim shirts, sweats were what I wore most and still do.

I had a washer and dryer onboard, so could keep to a minimum......
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the all occasion "Little Black Dress" โ€ฆ
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Do those shrink-wrap bags leave the clothes all wrinkled, or are they OK to wear. An iron is not on my list to bring along!
the bags work just as good as without the bag, but use less space. Full time? Get an iron.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two pair of slax, some tops which with jewelry can look dressy, three skirts, and one dress. Although since I have lost 30+ pounds, some of the items will have to be replaced in the Spring.

I can remember back 40 years when it was very, very important for everyone to dress to the nines for funerals, and family gatherings, however, in our family now, that is not the norm now. It is better that people be there to gather together, than to be kept away due to dress codes.

But seriously, with a nice summer hat, a nice denim/lightweight skirt, and a dressy top, a lady can be dressed in an acceptable manner for entrance to many places. AND I love those vacuum-shrink-bags which can be shrunk down to fit under the bed nicely.

I need to wear cowboy boots due to weak ankles, so will just polish up a pair of every-day boots and I am good to go. BTW also have bad-weather boots.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
been full timing for 4 years. I carry:
3 dresses: one summer dressy, one casual, one winter dressy. have worn 2 of them.
1 black skirt and one black dress pants, with one top that goes with either one. have worn both- funerals and wakes.
by keeping everything in the same color family, I need fewer dress shoes.
DH likes when I dress up so I also have a jean skirt and several Capri and sandals to go with them.
Periodically I go thru my wardrobe and cull out what I am not wearing, but these are the basics that I keep just in case. Other than that its jeans with T shirts or a nice top.
We're not "camping" for a short time, so yeah, we keep some dress clothes with us.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Not a full-timer but we travel for months at a time in a 22'TT with very limited wardrobe space. My problem is clothing for different activities (canoeing, hiking, occasional "dress-up") and changing temperatures. I keep two shrink wrap bags for extreme weather clothing, one for hot and one for cold. In between, I rely on black pants, black tee-shirts, a great black skirt,and some colorful over-shirts. I carry only two pair of jeans as they take so long to dry and I don't have anything that needs to be ironed. I have found that the Patagonia base-layers will supplement most anything. The lightweight will do for tights with the skirt or under nylon hiking pants to make them a little warmer. The heavyweight will go under hiking pants to make them a lot warmer! I am also a thrift shopper and add and subtract items as needed. I watch for good brands that I know will wear well. I have socks, underwear, and t-shirts for 10 days. Shoes are a whole different issue! Hope this helps. lizzie

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife keeps certain event outfits in those shrink wrap bags and seems to have plenty of them for dress up, Christmas, Halloween, etc. I keep two sport coats/slacks/ties also. The shrink bags are stored under the bed - daily stuff in closet & drawers I installed where washer/dryer option would have been. Hopefully there aren't frequent funerals/weddings etc we can go to anyway since we travel, but always have what we need.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Goodwill et al. Same place I buy all my outer clothing. I have enough clothes for 8 days. When the seasons change, I sort thru the clothes and toss that which does not look good before packing them up for the season. Then I pull out the new season's clothes, evaluate my wardrobe then buy what I need over the next month or two. For special events, I buy what I need then, usually, donate back to a thrift store when I no longer need it.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well to be honest this is DH not DW. As for clothes, if you have on board one nice pair of shoes, two nice pair of slacks and maybe three dress tops, you should be good for almost anything. One black and one tan slacks. Get the tops to match for both colors of pants and you basically have 12 different sets

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ooo, clhamon, I like thatcredit card idea. Unfortunately, I seem to be constructed out of spare parts. Nothing fits without alterations, so I can't just shop-and-wear.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
full time or not my wife is t-shirts and jeans, that is one of the things I love about her.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

clhamon
Explorer
Explorer
My wife carries my credit card...
Frenchie & Kat
2005 Country Coach
2007 Harley Ultra Custom
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee