cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fulltiming with a tent?

harvestmoon
Explorer
Explorer
we fulltimed from 2004-2007 through western US and all of Mexico before settling down in southern Mexico. Now that 2 kids are off to college we're thinking about going back on the road for the last 2 kids (who were 2 and 4 when we started in 2004 and don't remember a whole lot of those years). So we're not new to the lifestyle. Anyone fulltimed with a rig AND a tent? We prefer to move and stay put for a few weeks or a month and then move again. last time we used a TT and 15-pass van and this time we'll either do the same or change to a truck+5er. Still haven't decided. those 5'ers can get pretty roomy it seems.

we'd follow the weather and maybe even come back home (mexico) for winter. not sure yet.

regardless, any opinions on rig+tent? girls will be 15 and 13 next year (when we expect to take off)

ow wow - look at that! the siggie has it all....
- Kathy

2002 Ford Econoline E350 PSD 7.3L TV.
2005 Ameri-Camp T315QBS.

Our Travel Journal
11 REPLIES 11

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
harvestmoon wrote:
actually, WE would be sleeping in the tent. girls in the 5er or TT.
:E

:h

I have the name of a good therapist should you desire.

Bunk house is the only way to fly.....:W
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
For long stays a canvas wall tent with a wood stove would be fun.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2998RB sundance and it has the half bath and a rear bedroom with a door and a slid so the kids have a nice big room with their own TV and dvd player and our bd rm upstairs has a sink shower and toilet and a wood pocket door to block out the kids and noise. I for one would skip the tent in Nebraska for sure with all the wild storms we have been having.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Time limit at many state/national parks is 14 days, which may mess up your longer term stay plans.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
harvestmoon wrote:
wow. i had not even thought about a toyhauler but that is a great idea. also had no clue about the parks and tents. are those RV parks/resorts or state/national etc? We very very rarely ever stayed in RV parks (boondocking or state/national parks instead) before we left the US and down here tents are pretty much the norm.

thanks for the great advice so far!

Don't worry; tents and/or RVs are still just fine at state/national parks in the US. Can't say about RV resorts since I rarely stay at them.

harvestmoon
Explorer
Explorer
wow. i had not even thought about a toyhauler but that is a great idea. also had no clue about the parks and tents. are those RV parks/resorts or state/national etc? We very very rarely ever stayed in RV parks (boondocking or state/national parks instead) before we left the US and down here tents are pretty much the norm.

thanks for the great advice so far!
- Kathy

2005 Ameri-Camp T315QBS.

Our Travel Journal

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem I see is that very few long term parks allow tents. I think you would be better off with a bunk house of some sort.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
There are 5th wheels that have a rear bedroom area designed for kids. Several even have a 1/2 bath in the rear for the kids to use. When I saw those designs, I thought what a great way to travel...the kids would have their own room.

Another option are the toyhaulers with the garage area to carry bikes and other stuff during travel. The garage converts into a bedroom for the girls once you get settled in a spot.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not....if you want to go for it in a tent that sounds fine....maybe a nice class B pulling a small trailer with all your needed stuff....Also check out Great West Vans.....they make a B and a small trailer.....check out Casita also....it's a small fiberglass trailer that can easily be towed by a B....

harvestmoon
Explorer
Explorer
actually, WE would be sleeping in the tent. girls in the 5er or TT.
- Kathy

2005 Ameri-Camp T315QBS.

Our Travel Journal

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
My only concern would be the girls sleeping in a tent. They would be in a position where you could not protect them if need be (you'd be asleep in the trailer). So, given that concern, my choice would be the fiver with room for all of you to sleep.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier