doglover44
Explorer
Explorer
Any advice for a young person who wants to full time
18 REPLIES 18

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full RVing sort of implies moving around, else the question is about using some type of RV, or substitute like a van or a car, as an alternative to permanent housing.

If moving around, RV is what works, some type of house on wheels.

If not moving around, living in a RV, van, or car may or may not be an economically feasibile alternative to room, apartment, house, or house trailer, depending on location and how comfortable a lifestyle you want to support. Job, health insurance, are sometimes dependent on a fixed address. Things that work in a small town don't always work in the city.

Rent for a parking place with utility connections might not be less expensive than a room or apartment of equivalent size. Some places you can have a room or apartment where you don't need a car to get around, that's less likely for a campground or RV park, unless the job is at your residence.

But if it is about being a nomad, for a time while young, RVing can be the better way, particularly if you are staying away from big cities with transportation problems and housing codes.

I see you are thinking motorized vehicle, which tends to work OK if you can keep moving, don't have to settle for a while and then get around. But if staying somewhere long enough to get and hold a job, I think a small TT is better, gives you a fixed home for a while and a vehicle for getting around. Look at what BeckyIO is doing, I think she is doing it the way I would, though I don't need to work.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

doglover44
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on saving up some money that's my first step

doglover44
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of full timing but living my regular life going to work ect

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Try to have at least the bare bones of an exit strategy.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a job and health insurance are extremely important. You'll have to check out the health insurance issue that's rolling out at present.

Are you planning to move around or stay in one place? I would highly recommend that you get your job first, save some money, then buy the RV and give it a try.

It's a lot easier if you do not have any debt. Also, you need to have money saved for unexpected emergencies such as repairs, tires, etc.

I also see you're in Ohio which is definitely not a good place to winter in an RV. That will be an additional expensive cost to you with propane and you'll have to do a lot of winterizing to the RV (protecting your holding tanks) and also finding a RV park that is even open in winter.

It's hard to give you a definite answer not knowing your financial circumstances and how you actually want to full-time - moving around and working here and there or a stationary job. It can be done but think out every aspect of finances before you jump into it. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doglover44
Explorer
Explorer
another thing that concerns me is find a job that will keep me going on the road and health insurance.

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
I started full-timing last year at 28 and love it. I say go for it! I travel in a 17' Casita travel trailer pulled by a Dodge Dakota, the combo gets about 15 mpg which isn't bad at all for a house.

A bit more info on your situation would be helpful to give good advice. I agree with staying debt free and having an emergency fund. I personally fund my travels though seasonal jobs but I'm hoping to transition to more location independent work so I'm not tied to an area at all. Obtaining health insurance can be a real issue if you have previous medical conditions, I'm lucky to be healthy and not have any such issues so my coverage isn't too much money.

I've written quite a bit about solo full-timing at my blog if you'd like a peek, the link is in my info. I've covered jobs that I've held, domicile state selection, mail forwarding, choosing an RV, stuff like that.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck! We only live once...
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Try this forum - http://www.cheaprvlivingforum.com/ Tons of information about RVing cheaply. Being young and single you might be very comfortable in a van.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

doglover44
Explorer
Explorer
Motorized seems eaiser tome ant tips ?

doglover44
Explorer
Explorer
I am Single and I am looking towards a motorized rv

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Don't underestimate the cost. Your RV will depreciate quickly. Site rent can easily add up to the cost of an apartment unless you volunteer or do something to get a site at no cost. Fuel cost is very high unless you stay parked. What about health insurance, etc,etc.
Jayco-noslide

RVToadless
Explorer
Explorer
And if you are like me, too chicken to tow a car, my blog has ideas and suggestions for what I have done.
JJ from Pacific Northwest. RV without a tow car.

phil_crouch
Explorer
Explorer
rockportrocket wrote:
How young, married, single, children, job location, etc, etc, etc.

Agree with rockportrocket.. You don't give us enough info..

I did see young guys fulltime, and travel to different job sites..

there are summer and winter jobs if you search around.. example,

Gate guards in Texas, oil fields in N.D. Amazon hires during their busy seasons.. Pipeline Inspectors is another one looking for people with RV's..
Seen some with RV's that travel around that's in construction jobs..

I talked to a guy that was a cook, up at a dude ranch in the summer and went south to Texas and had a job down there..

That is if you are looking to make a living on the road, it can happen to those that do a little research..

I, personally would not live in a RV year-round up North, but that's just me..

I worked Part-time when we decided to go fulltime, but that was just to offset our budget.. I drove shuttle busses and wife worked thru a temp agency.. Those were summer jobs up North, but we headed south before winter closed in.. We were offered jobs down south but didn't want them..

I have seen people fulltime in just about any kind of RV out there so yep, it can be done with a little planning...

Good luck on whatever you decide to do...

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
How young, married, single, children, job location, etc, etc, etc.