cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting cash on the road

shawano
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going full time in the spring and wondering what most do about getting cash, with all the hacking of debit cards going on. Also does anyone have knowledge of national insurance coverage on the ACA? Looking for coverage in any state while full timing not just emergency coverage as they tell us. Any tips would be appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We typically need cash for CG discounts or because I don't like writing a check to pay for monthly rent when CG won't take CCs.

We've found that different banks in different states put the restrictions on the ATM cash withdrawals. We use an online bank ATM/Debit card and they reverse the ATM fees immediately.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Wallyworld for cash from my debit card or CC.
When traveling they have big parking spaces for MH & toad.
Also use for grocery's & all prescriptions.

I only write maybe 1 or 2 checks a year.
All banking to pay bills is done on line, some are direct transfer.

ATM machines lately has had some compromised with skimmers used in some of them.
Less chance of that at Wallyworld.
I last used a ATM was maybe 15 plus years ago.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
we go into the bank ask the teller for a cash advance on the debit card, no fee, and you can get larger bills, rather than a pile of 20's, and change for the laundromat
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
I follow the "don't worry -- be happy" plan of life now.

I use the debit card at the ATM's, and credit cards when needed. I don't know anyone who has been hacked beyond a few fraudulent transactions, myself included. The banks and card companies cover my losses if I should get hacked.

There's plenty of other stuff to worry about -- banking isn't one of them.

Yep this is very true - enjoy the full time life - thinking up things to worry about is not part of the fun
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's cash? Seriously, I have been known to carry the same $10 in my wallet for months at a time. We write maybe 3-4 checks a month, use auto pay for reoccurring bills, PayPal, debit cards and credit cards when needed. Within our lifetime cash will become obsolete for most of us. Only the poor and homeless will use it.

Seriously, when we need cash for travel we'll either write a check to the local bank drawn on our CU account or use one of the 30,000 CU ATMs that are members of the national COOP. You can also cash a check at any CU that is a participating COOP member as long as your home CU is a member.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We used to just go to an ATM, but got tired of paying the fees. We opened up an extra checking account with a national bank and use their debit card.

Most of our needed cash will come from extra when visiting Walmart of other grocery stores.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Getting cash........same way you do now

ACA....what is going to be your domicile state----residency state.
That is where you will have your Medical Insurance Policy and that is where you will have to check what/how coverage is offered.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
as others have said we get cash out when we shop for food, etc. We also have a daily limit on our card.
For Health Insurance, don't select an HMO. They are usually regionalized. Select a national PPO like Blue Cross or Aetna. You will need to look for providers in the network and usually get pre approval for care. You could start on www.healthcare.gov and see what's there.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I follow the "don't worry -- be happy" plan of life now.

I use the debit card at the ATM's, and credit cards when needed. I don't know anyone who has been hacked beyond a few fraudulent transactions, myself included. The banks and card companies cover my losses if I should get hacked.

There's plenty of other stuff to worry about -- banking isn't one of them.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Wells Fargo Bank

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We never use debit cards. We use credit cards with protection and get cash back when grocery shopping. We really use very little cash nowadays. Everything is paid with credit card and we have always paid it off in full every month so no interest fees. It's just easier to manage rather than cash.

As for as medical insurance, one thing you don't want to do is to domicile in South Dakota if you're not on Medicare yet. There is no country-wide insurance to be had in South Dakota. Go to IRV2.com and look at the full-timing forum for long posts about this problem. Texas or Florida are the states to choose for good medical coverage country-wide.

Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use debit cards all the time. Ours is thru our credit union and has zero -0- liability just like a credit card. We get cash back at any grocery store or a walmart, if needed. We really don't carry much cash.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
What is this "cash" thing of which you speak? 🙂

Seriously, we have an ATM card via our CU which we use, free of charge, to withdraw $400 at a time. The last time we did that was 11 months ago. We still have $40 of it left and I've been walking around with the same $20 in my pocket for months. Started with $40 but couldn't resist the local produce stand last week and those lousy so an so's didn't take plastic! The shame.
‘Love is what’s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.’ - Elain - age 8

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grocery stores, walmart, etc all allow you to get cash. If you need more go to any atm and pay the fee if it's not your bank. You might think about getting an account with a nationwide bank.

As far as the ACA is concerned and a national plan, good luck. I have a Coventry plan here in sc that does cover out of network but at a higher rate. Some plans only cover emergencies and some don't cover anything.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT