cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

getting cash on the road

shawano
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going full time in the spring and wondering what most do about getting cash, with all the hacking of debit cards going on. Also does anyone have knowledge of national insurance coverage on the ACA? Looking for coverage in any state while full timing not just emergency coverage as they tell us. Any tips would be appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We use our "debit" card if we need cash, but only do so at bank ATM's. The card is not used for any other purchases. Anything else we either pay cash or use separate credit cards. I feel this reduces our bank account vulnerability - at least as much as is reasonably possible when full-timing and moving several times or more a year. I also have text alerts set on all bank and credit transactions. Makes for more hassle from texts, but I know every time an account is used.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, getting cash...we go to the bank and fill our pockets as needed. Yes you need a national bank but boy it is nice to be able to do banking anywhere in the good old USA.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
We just get cash back at Wallyworld when we get supplies...
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use debits cards. I have an account at a FL credit union for when we're in FL. We use an ATM from our home bank if we need cash in other areas. Lots of no fee ATMs we can access from our home bank. The belong to a nationwide network of ATMs. All Walgreens have an ATM and they are part of that national ATM no fee network. We mostly charge everything on a credit card.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We are little older and have Medicare as primary, then Blue Cross.
We get cash when we purchase our groceries. Normally able to get enough to handle most situations.
We have a stash for emergency locales when we need fuel and no debit/credit card service. This happened once in Oklahoma because the internet and phones were down.
We also carry a stash of various sized small bills for campground fund.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
We us a non debit ATM only card. Put a $500/day limit on it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
ATMs or grocery stores when buying food.

You must get your health insurance from a company that sells insurance in your state of residency. Typically, PPOs have the largest networks (I have Blue Cross and their Preferred network is national).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road