cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with full timing over the winter

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on a search for a home in the northeast and have come up empty. We are running out of time and will probably have to escape here till spring next year. We spent winter in Florida a few years ago and I wont get my husband back down there for anything, so in my mind the only other place to winter would be west, maybe Arizona? Love to hear advice on where to go and how to get somewhere to park. We don't mind floating from place to place for the 6 months or so, not sure I want to be parked the whole time in one place anyways, but have no clue where to go or how to find places to stay months or weeks at a time. Mind you we are doing this in a small travel trailer, so it not quite as fun and great as it sounds. Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, not looking forward to this at all. Thanks in advance.
60 REPLIES 60

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
Before giving advice I'd like to know what was wrong with Florida.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent many a winter in southern AZ, specifically Yuma. I found winters there to be near perfect, with plenty of sun and mild temperatures. Many home owners have fruit trees in their yards, bursting with sweet oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons, etc.
There are plenty of RV parks to choose from, and I suggest reserving before the snowbird rush begins.

A good second choice is the small town of Wellton, just a few easy miles east of Yuma. I've stayed there many times, also. It's an easy drive to Yuma for shopping purposes,and a small supermarket is located nearby. There are several RV parks in the area, and they may be cheaper than those in Yuma. Boondocking in the desert outside of town may also be possible, but last time I was there it appeared the county was beginning to limit it (that was about 7 or 8 yrs ago).

I'm in Tucson now, also a nice place for the winter, and there is a mobile home park nearby that caters to RVers.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I think you've covered it Bill, but you forgot, one thing, there is no vertical relief either.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been answered by many.
I can start a new list and others can jump in if you like.
Too hot.
Too humid.
Too many bugs.
God's waiting room.
Too many reckless old folks behind the wheel.
Did I mention the bugs? Love bugs twice a year are the worst other than the killer skeeters that keep you indoors all mornings and all evenings.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hope your not replying to me as I've already answered this.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, I was going to delete that
post, but hoped a member would have a great reply....thanks
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
The "V" in RV refers to vehicle. Why would you want to spend weeks or months in an RV park?

I am hopeful that his was just a post made in jest. However, it might have been made after the 2nd cocktail. In either case it is not helpful in any way to anyone. If you want to know why us RVers park for weeks or months in an RV park you should start a new topic. I spent an entire year in one park a few years back. Not my choice but sometimes our lives are controlled by outside forces. I regularly stay at RV parks for 2-6 weeks and if I could spend the Summer in the NW I would likely spend a month or so in 2-3 different areas. I could go on, but I won't in hopes that your post will simply be overlooked by those interested in the topic.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Nicely said Colliehauler

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
The "V" in RV refers to vehicle. Why would you want to spend weeks or months in an RV park?
The only thing that could make that more amusing is if you lived in New York, New York.

I will attempt to answer your question. I like to travel with all the comforts of home. I like cool weather of a summer and warm weather of a winter. With my RV I can have a lake front cabin, a mountain chalet, a deep woods retreat, a beach front resort. I can visit family without being a imposition. To me spending weeks or months in a RV is no different than spending weeks or months at home. I guess I can't do endless maintenance and yard work in a RV.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Where else would you suggest people IN Rv's park?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I always heard that Alamogordo New Mexico was a great place to winter. Especially if your a golf family and the price is right. Also Southeast Texas along the gulf coast is pretty awesome. Yuma Arizona is also a great place, but its wall to wall RVs in the foothills.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

My problem with Florida. Florida is where old people go to visit their parents.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
2oldman wrote:

My guess is EVERYTHING! FL is a horrible place!

Spread the word please and keep some of the 1000 people a day that are moving here from doing so. We actually prefer the mountain west but that of course is because we've been living here our whole lives and are jaded.

Actually Georgia is the absolute worst place to go for someone who once lived in the NE. Also a big factor is Georgia is a nightmare for liberals or people who tend to vote Dem. You are better to go to CA than GA. In general I would not consider moving to Georgia at all for any reason. It seems appealing for better cost of living and mild weather but it is just horrible. tell all your friends. Beware!!!