cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with full timing over the winter

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on a search for a home in the northeast and have come up empty. We are running out of time and will probably have to escape here till spring next year. We spent winter in Florida a few years ago and I wont get my husband back down there for anything, so in my mind the only other place to winter would be west, maybe Arizona? Love to hear advice on where to go and how to get somewhere to park. We don't mind floating from place to place for the 6 months or so, not sure I want to be parked the whole time in one place anyways, but have no clue where to go or how to find places to stay months or weeks at a time. Mind you we are doing this in a small travel trailer, so it not quite as fun and great as it sounds. Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, not looking forward to this at all. Thanks in advance.
60 REPLIES 60

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You must be on the West Coast as the East Coast is not anything like you describe!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Before giving advice I'd like to know what was wrong with Florida.

My guess is EVERYTHING! FL is a horrible place!

Spread the word please and keep some of the 1000 people a day that are moving here from doing so. We actually prefer the mountain west but that of course is because we've been living here our whole lives and are jaded.

Last we were there the mosquitoes carried off two kids and the dog.

AGAIN. That is in the 'South' of Florida. It's where all the swamps are, what do you expect? :S Never could understand why people snowbird to the far south of Florida, hot, unbearable humidity and jammed packed sardine camping.

Where I am at I can stay out all night and not see one mosquito. It's called central Florida where there are real forests with real trees and crystal clear blue springs all around. Best kept secret in Florida Shhh, don't tell everyone!:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would use rvparkreviews to look at the RV parks in the areas people have been recommending. The reviews will talk about the amenities, ease of access and the area around it. Be sure and read many of the reviews to get a good feel for the park.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
2oldman wrote:

Humidity, you'll love the SW, check into the Rio Grande valley.

RGV isn't in the SW, it is on the Gulf of Mexico. Southwest = New Mexico, Arizona, California. States are the left side of the Rockies!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
Whose vanishing, I'M RIGHT HERE.

You might get a wider variety of ideas by putting your question in the Snowbird Section - - you'll get loads of info from all types of snowbirds in every area of the country.

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Humidity, you'll love the SW, check into the Rio Grande valley.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
To Barbara and others who stayed in AZ. How do you find places? Maybe not just regular campgrounds, but in Fla. we happened upon a few places that had mostly park models with some rv temp sights mixed in. Do they have those in AZ? Is there a website to use to find these? Sorry, but I know nothing about AZ.

We spent about 4 years moving all over Arizona (that is the desert part) staying about 2 weeks in each area to get a feel for what was available and find out what we liked. We found out we liked Mesa and when we first started out, the parks even during the Jan-March time frame would give discounts to C2C and Passport America. Once we found a park that we liked, we started reserving for 3 months (Jan-March) then 4, etc. until we bought our park model at Val Vista Village (we had been going to spend the winter there) in 2014. In a lot of respects, the parks in Arizona operate like the parks in Florida, a mix of RVs and park models, and they cater to snowbirds who come for the season. Several parks in the greater Phoenix area now offer specials for Sept-December to entice more people to come before Christmas.

What types of things do you like to do? And what is the time frame you are looking for? One of the things to remember about Arizona is that ALL spring training takes place now in the greater Phoenix Area, so Jan-March are 'prime' season and while parks might have a week or two available in January and the first part of Febraury, from middle of February through end of March a lot will be full, so if baseball isn't your thing, make those the times when you go explore other areas of the state.

Barb

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out RVparky.com and/or download the rvparky app. Excellent information when looking for camping where you like to travel.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Well its amazing, I actually did answer your question but looking back the post is not here. There is nothing wrong with Florida besides I lived there for 20 some years and spent winter there 2 years ago and that's about all of Florida we can take. We want somewhere new and different.Had more detail in the post that's not here.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
2oldman, I'm lost, what question am I supposed to be answering.
My first post, right under your OP, and the next responder.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
To Barbara and others who stayed in AZ. How do you find places? Maybe not just regular campgrounds, but in Fla. we happened upon a few places that had mostly park models with some rv temp sights mixed in. Do they have those in AZ? Is there a website to use to find these? Sorry, but I know nothing about AZ.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman, I'm lost, what question am I supposed to be answering.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
lol lol I thought it best when I posted something to wait and listen to everyone. HHmmmm, bizarre.
Good. Now we're just waiting for you to answer a question.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
lol lol I thought it best when I posted something to wait and listen to everyone. HHmmmm, bizarre.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
luvmydogs wrote:
Whose vanishing, I'M RIGHT HERE.

Well, you didn't post on the thread in over THIRTY HOURS... LOL