cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Cherokee Latitude towing

Don2466
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for information on towing the Cherokee. we are looking at purchasing a 2018 for towing when I retire in 1 1/2 yrs and go full-timing. I spoke to the dealer who said we need to have the Cherokee with active drive 2, that has the neutral, most dealers don't carry that on their lots, they get the active drive 1, and the 2's are very rare unless you order one.
That being said, I talked to another full timer who has a 2014 Cherokee that he said he is getting rid of due to the "death wobble"....that's my bigger question. Has anyone else experienced this, where the front suspension system goes wacko when you hit a bump-railroad tracks- or any other large crater obstacle in the road?
Its the first I've heard of it and I've owned 3 jeep's I the past, last one being a 2000 wrangler and a 2007 Liberty now that I never had a problem with towing.
any feedback appreciated........Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Cherokee Trail Hawk. You are right - you do need Active Drive II
if you are using it as a towed. We had to pay $700 to have the special wiring harness installed and have had no problems with wobble. Perhaps by the time you purchase a new Cherokee, the newer wiring harness will be standard. BTW we purchased ours off the lot - actually it was a showroom model.

So far, ours has worked out OK for us but I must admit, it is the worst towed vehicle we have had for preparation. There are so many steps involved and pulling fuses is a nuisance. I guess we were spoiled towing our Fiat - all you needed to do was put it in N and release the parking brake - and away you went

We tow our Jeep behind our 24 ft. B+. The ride is more bumpy than I would prefer - again I think our little Fiat spoiled us with its light weight. Getting rid of it was a major mistake on our part - we really miss our Fiat Abarth.

Good luck with your research and purchase. At least your dealer was aware you needed Active Drive II. We knew this from our own research and had to "educate" our salesman who then researched it himself. Luckily we knew what we needed and did not buy the wrong vehicle despite telling the salesman we were looking for a vehicle that could be towed. Buyer beware.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You need to tell that other full timer that as already mentioned there is a TSB out there for this issue.

The wobble and other similar issues is common on all vehicles towed 4 down that have Electric Power Steering.

Not sure if the 2018KL has the fix included already or if it still needs to be added by the dealer however....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
The wobble has been addressed and fixed by Jeep with a wiring that actives the power steering when you tow - I have towed mine 31,000 miles and have driven it another 42,000 miles great car !!!

If he is getting rid of it buy his and get the towing harness installed that would fix the problem (Why did he not do that)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Don, what will you be looking to tow with it? Are you referring to use it as a toad?