cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to full timing - questions, advice

jadams04
Explorer
Explorer
My fiance and I are new to full timing and very excited about this new adventure! We bought a flagstaff, v-lite TT and will be hitting the road the beginning of April as soon as it arrives...my job will take us across the states. We are both new to rv'ing and trying to prepare as much as possible before we set out. The boards are so great for sharing ideas and recommendations, I've been browsing for awhile! I would like to get your thoughts on what items (generators, etc..) you feel are necessary?? Any feedback is welcomed, thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
You do not have to buy everything at first. Get started and you will learn what you need and what you can do without. If you are going to dry camp look into a good solar setup and 6volt batteries. You will learn as you go just enjoy the lifestyle and not worry about the little thing.

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
yeah...how are you hauling all that stuff..heavy load..TT...sway on the highway...if you get the right bars..helpful...be safe and just lock those dirt bikes with a bike cable..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

bobsbbq
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you get good full timers insurance for your TT. Make sure it covers the awning and hitch etc. Full timers insurance also comes with a liability coverage similar to home owners policy. I use Good Sams insurance on TT and Geico on my truck. Try to have a deductible no higher than 250 on comp.

A good internet hotspot if you do a lot of work on the internet. Lots of quarters for laundry etc.

Many campgrounds are very unlevel. Make sure you have plenty of Lynx blocks.

I also like to keep a couple of 5 gallon buckets on hand for various things. 3.00 from Walmart.

Plenty of gloves, we buy the black disposable ones from Home Depot.

Many other things, read read and read.
5th Wheel 2002 Sunny Brook Mobile Scout 31BWFS

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
An item we can't go without.. Handheld radios .. Absolutely necessary, IMHO, when backing into a site or that occasional you missed the turn moment and you have to turn around.

The turn around moments should be kept to a minimum for the sake of your relationship with your significant other.

Anbrusten
Explorer
Explorer
We livein Oregon and want to keep our Oregon drivers licenses. We will I've in our rv and will have no permanent address. Can we use a family members address. ? An then change our bank cards t to that address too. ? They need to have a zip code an address attached to them. We plan on doing most of our bills on line. I am just not sure. How this works. Should our vehicle registrations and insurance all be the sae address?
Andy & Becky Rusten
W7ATR & N7SYC
Opal & Pretzel (The wiener dogs)
1998 Mountain Aire 40' DP
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

ocbms
Explorer
Explorer
There are several small tools you will always need to tighten a screw or hose clamp and such. I also carry a plastic parts bin that has screws, screw hooks and something to hang a picture or clock. A couple bungee cords small rope makes backing easier, you may have to tie a cupboard door closed. Your needs will change but make your new home A home.
2015 Freightliner M2 106
2016 Mobile Suites 38PS3
Previously 2010 Montana and Pleasure Way Excel TS

rognelson777
Explorer
Explorer
1st Walmart is your friend. They are everywhere and carry many camping supplies. Also clothing necessities, small appliances and most are easy to get into and out of, large parking lots. Many allow parking overnight.
2nd, I learned the hard way, many campgrounds are not what they say. Went to one that sounded good and on the road in wish I had a 4 x 4 with mud tires to get in. I now call ahead and ask hours of check in and if my Rig will be easy to get in.
3rd, Good Sam has mail forwarding service, check it out.
4th Bug spray/Bug spray/bug spray do not go without.
5th Internet at many campgrounds slows way down after dinner as many campers are streaming movies/tv shows and internet providers do not have enough band width, not always the campgrounds fault.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good chain/lock.......

But how are you going to transport those dirtbikes?

With that F150 and that Flagstaff trailer you are going to be running close to payload capacity.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jadams04
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all for the replys! We plan to use my future in-laws address for any snail mail that we can't take care of online...

Good advice on packing more than you need, I think that will be an ongoing adjustment we'll have to make.

On another subject, are there any ideas for locking up or securing motorcycles while at campgrounds? We both have dirtbikes that we'd like to bring along during our travels.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of the first trip my DW and I took on a motorcycle. I told her to lay out everything she thought she'd need on the bed next to two saddle bags and a tail bag. She said no way it would all fit! I said , right. Now figure what you could absolutely NOT live with for two weeks so she pared it down to a manageable lot. Next I said to cut that in half. She did and I packed it with some room left over. I let her take some other foo foos and packed that. Amazing what was left behind. We now have a triple slide 34 ft TT and she still packs way more than she needs/can use, but I don't say anything. I'm just the pilot is all. JMHO
charles weidman

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the basic stuff. Add stuff as you need it. Soon you will have to much Stuff. Everyone has to much stuff.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some good discussion on generators, solar, different types of batteries, etc. Check out these webpages:

Escapees
Technomadia
GoneWithTheWynns
RV Lifestyle Experts
NuRVers
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Less is more.........!!!!

Basic set of pots/pans.....dishware etc.

Just because you might have room in a storage compartment doesn't mean it has to be jammed FULL.
If you find after 6 mos. you haven't used an 'item' then get rid of it. No reason to drag unnecessary weight around.

We packed those items we knew we needed, then those items we thought we would need and then those items we thought we couldn't be without....hahaha
First 6 mos. we understood the 'conestoga wagon trains' as we continued to rid ourselves of 'stuff'.

Generator........
Are you going to be camping in unimproved areas (no power)? IF yes....then a portable generator would be needed to recharge battery and provide AC power.
Otherwise......if using developed campsites/parks with electric power, it just becomes one of those 'items' that you are lugging around (and have to maintain).

Banking......set up on-line backing with paperless billing on any reoccurring bills.
And best to be as debt free as possible

Mail, drivers licenses, vehicle registration, Ins. (medical/vehicle)?????
Need a 'physical address' for those-----one that is recognized/accepted.
What are your plans on that?
Several mail forwarding services in RV friendly states (FL, SD, TX) but you really have to do research concerning medical coverage.

Good luck!

On Edit:
Spelling correction....as meanings where different (Thanks 'Road Runners' :B)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
No need to buy everything before you start the journey. Things will normally accumulate over time.