cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oh my...they live in a motorhome!

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess the proper word is Social Stigma.
How many feel it?
You tell someone you live in your motorhome and you get a great sense that you just became less of a person.

I have no problem with it really I just find it aggravating.
55 REPLIES 55

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
It'a great when someone hits you up for $$$. Sorry man I live in a 25 foot trailer. Most of the time you get bypassed by panhandlers anyway.

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
Just the opposite. The people I meet are envious and want to know more about it so they can do it too.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I always get a kick out of the judgmental attitude of so many people. You have the city vs country, blue vs white collar, east vs west, educated vs not, class a vs txt etc. just seems to be human nature to try and find reasons to feel better than others. In the end, happiness is what you find in your own life. If it works for you and doesn't hurt others, life is good.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
1ofmany wrote:
Don't really care how someone views our choice of living arrangements.

X2+!

A smart person once told me I have no control over what other people say or think. I have full control over how I choose to react to what other people say or think.
I choose indifference as my reaction.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAXFL wrote:
The only one to say anything close was 1 grand-daughter when we went to visit a long time ago and she was very young.... spent the weekend and on Monday at school... she told everyone "My grandparents live in a bus".

Our Granddaughter told her school teacher that her Grandparents were Hibernating ! She only knew we went somewhere warmer for the winter.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Nice, real nice. This will be a good one. I'm grabbing some popcorn brb. ๐Ÿ™‚

Better hurry on that popcorn cause this'n ain't gonna last.:D
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Toedtoes, please don't worry about a person who can't tell the difference between you describing your own perception vs. that of a third party. The rest of us reading all know exactly what you mean :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, real nice. This will be a good one. I'm grabbing some popcorn brb. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
OMG!!!! o MY GOD , YOUR USING IT ALOT FOR SOMEONE PASSING JUDGMENT ON SOMEONE USING THE TERM LOW LIFE.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hobo2 wrote:
Since I've been RVing met people working construction cross country. Home schooling staying together as a family unit. theres a guy that works 20 hours a week at a wachalochee state park his RV leaks when it rains ,been there 9 years 68 years old , that's all he has. smile on his face everytime I see him. There all LOW LIFES I see them as working AMERICANS. LOW LIFE IS A POOR CHOICE OF WORDS
PS your local church knows who is needie, did you pay your tithing or are you going to just passing judgement

OMG!!! I don't know what your problem is, but you're getting insane. None of the people you have indicated (including yourself) are Lowlifes. They are honest hardworking people. If you see Lowlife as a description of them (and yourself) then YOU have a problem. YOU are the one passing judgement. Enjoy your religion whatever it is - don't worry about mine.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
Since I've been RVing met people working construction cross country. Home schooling staying together as a family unit. theres a guy that works 20 hours a week at a wachalochee state park his RV leaks when it rains ,been there 9 years 68 years old , that's all he has. smile on his face everytime I see him. There all LOW LIFES I see them as working AMERICANS. LOW LIFE IS A POOR CHOICE OF WORDS
PS your local church knows who is needie, did you pay your tithing or are you going to just passing judgement

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hobo2 wrote:
You need to stop watching the alphabet channels. I was a low life or one of those white kids from the other side of the tracks. Became a board member of the bank retired at 45 and took another low life partner on from the other side of the tracks. Its a lot harder to get ahead starting with NOTHING and first hand NOTHING.
ps. I carry the scares from my childhood do you have any?????

PLEASE you are completely misinterpreting my comments. My comments are about the PERCEPTION that the media and many people have about people living in vans and older small RVs that is different from their perceptions about people in big expensive RVs. It is NOT an insult to you, how you grew up, how you are now, how you will be in the future - my comments have absolutely NOTHING to do with you. It is NOT condoning these PERCEPTIONS. It is simply a statement as to WHY some RVers get negative comments and others do not.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I control my feelings, no one else...

That said, by far the majority of people we meet that learn of our chosen lifestyle are either a bit envious and/or quite interested in our experiences and methods. How we handle banking, mail, and doctors are common topics of discussion. We do meet the occasional "trailer trash" mentality of course, but we just dismiss them as irrelevant to the enjoyment of our lifestyle and move on to someone more pleasant to talk to. We never try to "convert" anyone to our way of thinking.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Some people here seem concerned that living in a trailer or bus is gonna revoke their membership in the bourgeoisie, which it most certainly does.