cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residency when full timing: Florida vs Texas

Retired_Sailor
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will begin our FT chapter in a couple months. Since we are currently residents of a state with income tax we're looking to be come residents of one that doesn't. We have it narrowed down to Texas, Florida and possibly Nevada.

Can anybody out there provide some comparisons in regards to driver's licenses (special RV license?) and costs of registering our coach. We have a 37' Class A Gas Coachmen Aurora. Also interested in mail forwarding services.

We've heard great things about Escapees in Livingston, TX so Texas is high on our list but am interested in hearing any and all suggestions and stories.

Thanks
2006 National RV Tradewinds 40E
2008 Honda CRV Toad
54 REPLIES 54

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Add another vote for SD! We tend to change vehicles a lot, and paying 3% sales tax vice 6% in TX has saves us over $10k! Not to mention cheaper insurance and RV friendly. We are with My Dakota Address out of Madison. The owner even got us out of jury duty!
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
SD just passed new legislation...now you only have to renew in person every other time. Now you can renew by mail in between so you only have to go back every ten years. Our 2013 5er, 2011 Chevy 1 ton dually AND our 2011 Kia Soul costs less than $300 to register annually.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

jamesdalphonse
Explorer
Explorer
Tell me more!!!!!

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We chose South Dakota as there is no State Income Tax, no personal property
tax, insurance rates are low, and license plates can be renewed by mail.
Have to return to South Dakota every five years for driver license renewal.
Always enjoy the trip, too! Go in the summertime, of course. Our mail
service is with Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. Great people and have
never had a problem with mail.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
You might find this useful.

Looks really good. thanks ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

hittingtheroada
Explorer
Explorer
We just changed to FL. No sales tax if vehicles have been owned for more than 6 months. It cost us $564 for 2 drivers license good for over 9 years and to register our truck and 5th wheel. No vehicle inspection required.
Paula and Paul
Kramer the lab and Zeva the pug
2011 Carriage Cameo 37 CKSLS, 2010 Ford F350 Dually

lizbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
We are using American Home Base in Pensacola FL. The only thing we have to go to FL is getting our licenses after that all is done online
Vince & Liz Delpidio
Jerry, Princess, Lizzie and Emily ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 CT Coachworks 40' Siena
Master Tow, Tow Dolly
2012 Hyundai Tucson

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
We chose Texas. We do not have to travel to Texas to renew our plates or our driver licenses. Can do them by mail.
Texas has no income tax. Cost of our plates are reasonable. Using Livingston Texas and we do belong to the Escapees. The Escapees do our mail forwarding.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

Retired_Sailor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input. We have decided on setting our homeport up in FL. Just worked out best for us.
2006 National RV Tradewinds 40E
2008 Honda CRV Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
blkdodge wrote:
SD-----Overnight stay (CG, motel, hotel)
Take receipt to DMV station, fill out application (20 questions), show certified birth certificate/passport/SS Card/Marriage License to track name change (women), fill out & sign 'domicile' affidavit, take eye exam (see this/that) pay $20 get your NEW SD DL (5 yr. renewal in person)
Go to County Clerks Office......show SD DL, old vehicle registration(s), pay your fees, get your NEW SD Plates & Tags (yrly renewal on-line)
Go to Treasurers Office..fill out voter registration

Stay 30 nights......go to Sheriffs, fill out CCW application, show 30 day receipt, show SD DL and ID documents (passport/birth certificate), get temporary CCW. Come back week later get Official CCW (4 yr. renewal in person)

Old-Bisciut
Do have any idea of the cost of vehicle/5th wheel or is it just a flat rate?

I guess you are asking about vehicle registration fees?
Trucks & RV's are based on GVW and age plus 'wheel tax' if vehicle address is in a county that charges one
SD Motor Vehicle Registration
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Take receipt to DMV station, fill out application (20 questions), show certified birth certificate/passport/SS Card/Marriage License to track name change (women), fill out & sign 'domicile' affidavit, take eye exam (see this/that) pay $20 get your NEW SD DL (5 yr. renewal in person)
Go to County Clerks Office......show SD DL, old vehicle registration(s), pay your fees, get your NEW SD Plates & Tags (yrly renewal on-line)

Stay 30 nights......go to Sheriffs, fill out CCW application, show 30 day receipt, show SD DL and ID documents (passport/birth certificate), get temporary CCW. Come back week later get Official CCW (4 yr. renewal in person)

Old-Bisciut
Do have any idea of the cost of vehicle/5th wheel or is it just a flat rate?
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
blkdodge wrote:
We are looking at doing the same. My question is how long do you have to be living in a given state to become a resident and registering your vehicles.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at doing the same. My question is how long do you have to be living in a given state to become a resident and registering your vehicles.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
You have 3 days to get your vehicle inspected when you get back to TX so it is not a violation when you get back there. Just be careful where you get it inspected as some counties require emission testing too.Don't get it inspected in a big city like Dallas or Houston as they require emission testing.

If you don't ever go back to TX then you don't have to worry about inspection.

My truck and 5er are tagged in TX. It was due in June on the truck but will not get it reinspected until I get back there in Dec.

Cherry