cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV types for full timing

sevrenemho
Explorer
Explorer
We are interested in full time RVing and workamp jobs, which type of RV would you recommend? We are thinking of a 5th wheel or bumper pull travel trailer. Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
As I read through these posts, I'm surprised that there is not more discussion regarding built in generators on MHs vs. very few 5th wheels having them.

Our only two rvs have had built in generators and I can't imagine not being able to push the magic button to get instant air while stopped or microwaving a meal. During football season, we'll stop in a rest area, put up the antenna and watch a football game while we relax and have a quick meal.

Is a built in genny not a priority to some folks? This is my biggest gripe about most fivers and my wife agrees.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

JKrussow
Explorer
Explorer
Another important thing to consider is the RV you plan on full-timing in designed and built for more that two seasons? All too often I read about people trying to get their RV ready for their first winter. Skirting, extra insulation, 2 or 3 more heaters, heat lamps in storage areas. I have neighbors in the park we're staying at (central AL) have freezing issues every time the temps drop to 20 or lower. Most of the reason for this problem is weekender rigs used for full-timing.
John & Rana along with Kato & Punkin
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A DRW CC, Banks IQ w/Econominder, Speedbrake & CAI, Curt Q5 20K
2011 Heartland Big Country 3650RL

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We don't workamp, but do sit in one place while working for months at a time. We barely considered anything other than a 5thW. Since we can't pick and choose which area we're in, we opted for a true 4-S unit with plenty of inside and under belly storage. We upgraded in 2013 to our final unit that will serve us in retirement and bought an RV Lot to set it on for some of those extended stops.

Depending on new or used, there are many fullime 5ers available for resale at good prices. Check first for comfortable insulation, then floor plans which also aren't easy to change.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Count me in the it is mostly personal preference crowd. Finding a floor plan that you can be comfortable in is one of the most important issues. Between a travel trailer and a 5er size/space may be the deciding factor for you. Most TT have a box length of less than 32'. There are some in the 35-40' range, but it makes for a Looong combination of tow vehicle and trailer. Fifth wheels up to 40' are pretty common and some are now as long as 45'. Most travel trailers are built for the weekend/vacation user so the fit and finish will not be that found in the higher end 5ers that target the fulltime or long term RVer, however the price point will be considerably lower. There are a few higher quality and custom built travel trailers, but not as many as 5th wheels.

On the issue of storage space, consider that the propane tanks and batteries are on the tongue instead of taking up space in a storage compartment. Also a TT can be towed with a truck with a cap on it or a full size van which provides a lot of dry/secure storage.

A premium hitch provides weight distribution, prevents sway and allows much tighter backing than a conventional ball hitch with weight distribution. With some of them, the bars stay on the trailer and there is nothing to remove or store other than the draw bar that is really no bigger than a conventional ball adapter that goes in the tow vehicle receiver box.

In our travels and experience over the past 10 years, we have encountered lots of folks living fulltime in travel trailers. Many are travelling workers doing construction, and other projects. For many their pickup or van used as a tow vehicle is their work truck. Many do not consider themselves RVers and do not belong to RV clubs or participate in RVing forums.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
In our 10 years of full timing I didn't see very many full timers in a TT. Lack of storage compared to a 5Th wheel or motor home was a problem for the TTs I have looked at.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I just never really considered the MH route as a full timer. There are several reasons, one of which is I don't like not being able to freely back up when on the road.

For us it was always between a TT and FW. The FW won out because it simply pulls better in various conditions IMHO. Of course with a FW you then have to decide, and match up correctly, what tow vehicle to purchase.

Our combination has worked really good for us and we are averaging around 11mpg doing it.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend something between a tent and a million dollar bus. They have all been used for full timing based on personal preference and finances.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We volunteered and full-timed while we had a 27' travel trailer; a 33' 5th wheel and a 40' motorhome. There is no ONE RV that is meant for a full-timer/workamper. It depends what YOU want.

Typically, you don't need a so-called all season camper. Full-timers move with the temperatures. If you're caught in the extremes, you've done something wrong.

Regarding a Class A: there's very little chance of being stranded without your home while repairs are made. The repair facilities will let you stay in your RV on their lot and if they know you're a full-timer and that's your home they will work you in fast.

A full-timer will most likely tow a car behind a motorhome. We feel it's a much better way to sitesee rather than driving a big truck around.

Bottom line: it all depends what YOU want.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the RV Consumer Group; www.rv.org, for their recommendations. As I remember they recommend either 5ers or Class A depending on what kind of full timing you plan to do ie. stay in one place for weeks/months at a time or move around.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Most full-timer workcampers I've met have 5th wheels - say 60%.

The opening slides of a 5er floor plan appeal to many folks who will be staying put for several weeks/ months at a time. And are willing to trade that for the poor fuel mileage and limited maneuverability of a big dually pickup for those months. Almost all the 5er camp hosts/ workampers I know have 1 ton trucks - many started with F-250/2500 3/4 ton trucks and had to upgrade to a more expensive truck.

Today - 5ers no longer had an advantage in floor plans - you can get almost any 5er floor plan in a TT.

We have a TT with opposing slides and a 5th wheel type floor plan. We don't have the under bedroom storage area of a 5er. That's the big disadvantage.

But I know several camp hosts/ workampers who use TT - say 20%. I've seen everything from a 17' long Casita to a 40' Eagle TT used by camp hosts.

Class A or Class C units - make up 15% in my estimation. Some of these are full-time some are not. I've worked with a couple in a 20+ year old Toyota Class C and a couple in a brand new 43 ft Entegra Anthem. Most common are gas class A units for working campers of the self-propelled units.

We also worked with a mother and adult disabled son who work camp out of a Roadmaster B+. They've worked from Denali NP to south Texas - and many places between.

There are also some workampers who use pickup campers - and even one fellow with a volunteer maintenance position at the COE park where we are located right now in a tent.

The US Forest Service has a lot of volunteer positions which are dry camping with no hookups available, and often you have to go and truck in your own water.

Most camp host/ workamper positions will have a full-hooks-ups site - 50A / W/ E - but there are some which have limited electricity, or no sewer.

My wife vetoed applying to Assateague Island National Seashore because there was no sewer connection. Have to use the SewerTote to empty the tanks. She wasn't going to go for that for four or six months.

Remember - you are going to trade your home for 250-300-325 square feet of living space. That's small.

You are going to have to have everything you need to live, to work on the rig, to enjoy life, in the rig with you.

Do be aware that no matter what you get - you are going to be very close to the maximum weight capacity of the rig. That's just the nature of the beast. You don't want to decide you need the winter sweaters - sitting in a box in storage 1,000 miles away, or the swimsuits either.

Sometimes I think the ideal rig would be a toy-hauler with an 8-foot garage as a storage room/ walk-in closet.

Some 'musts' in my opinion.

1) Wife is happy with the kitchen area. Yes, many of us like cooking outside on the grill. But as a volunteer/workamper you are going to have to cook a great many meals inside. Useful storage is essential.

2) A bathroom/ shower you can get clean in. Some of the newer 5er and TTs floor plans have 48x30 or 60x30 showers with a seat. Those are great.

3) A true three seasons rig. You can't decide to pull out and go to the mountains if the temps spike to 100+ degrees, nor if the temps drop to the teens overnight. That includes provisions to keep the fresh water hose from freezing.

4) Comfort in driving the rig. Enough truck to tow a heavily loaded 5er/TT, or a Class A/C/B that drives comfortable. One of the greatest things about full-timing and volunteering/ workamping is that you can literally go from one coast one summer to the other coast the next.

5) Comfortable means to drive around and explore. You will have the luxury of not having to rush around every day for hours to see 'everything'.

But the very most important thing - get a rig and tow vehicle or toad - that fits your budget. Don't spend more than you can afford. Don't go into debt if at all possible.

That also means getting a rig your continuing income can support. A 20 year old DP might have a great price - but if you cannot afford what the diesel shop charges for yearly maintenance - it's too expensive.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
It's a personal choice...
It all comes down to personal preferences.

I had a friend that full-timed in a 13ft Scamp.

Another in a 42ft DP Motorhome that pulled a large cargo trailer that contained his car and shop.

Talking with another friend, they once wintered next to a guy that needed a living space (Motorhome) and an office trailer (5er)
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

sevrenemho
Explorer
Explorer
LOL I dont think workamps like you tenting it for the season though I am game for it! Thank you all for your comments, the RV show is next week so we will be looking at all the options.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make it challenging, use a tent! :B
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with the personal preference. People do it in all of them.

-With a 5er or TT you use your truck as a daily driver after you get set up.
-With a MH, you can tow something smaller and use it as your daily driver.
-If you have a problem of some sort with a MH, you may lose you "home" while the MH is in the shop requiring you to temporarily house in a hotel. A major mechanical repair could put you there for an extended period.
-Same could be said for a 5er or TT, but the 5er or TT does not have another drive train to worry about.