cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Water Softener

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading back to AZ for the winter and super hard water. Thinking of getting a water softener for my fifth wheel. If you have any suggestions I would like to hear from you. Thanks

Jim M.
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"
11 REPLIES 11

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who offered advice and comments. I will be getting the water softener as soon as we completed our workamper job in late September.

Thanks again,
Jim
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an On The Go Double Standard. Works very well.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Flo Pur 10000 here in eastern Texas; it works fine and we regenerate it every nine days.
-jbh-

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Flo Pure RVPro 10000. It uses ordinary table salt and is easy to regenerate. I camp out west and the water is very hard. It keeps my fixtures nice and clean. I have a sediment filter and carbon filter before it although you do not need to do that.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
FloPur is the only way to go. It has made water hard enough to chew completely drinkable. Been using my 8000 for 4 years.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
On-The-GO or FlowPur.......whichever is on sale!!

Both do the same thing, do it the same way, are regenerated using same method.

Whichever unit is on sale!

We have On-The-Go......used it for 8 yrs.
AZ, NM, TX where water is very hard......2 adults last about 10 days then regen and back in service.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken to flushing the water heater by sticking a tube from my air nozzle into the drain while water is running out. I get a lot of sediment after being in FL for just 3 mos.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I have the FloPur Mark 8000.
Cost is $220 and includes shipping if bought from the site above. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.

Both are 8000 grain units which means they will last longer without requiring regeneration. Some folks use "Water Sticks" but the biggest one of those I have seen is only 1500 grains.

In AZ where we spend most of the winter the water hardness is about 50 grains per gallon. That means that an 8000 grain unit will soften about 160 gallons before needing to be regenerated. Since we use about 13 gallons of water per day we have to regenerate every 12 days or so.

In our home in CO we have a water hardness of 20 GPG, there the softener will last about a month.

I still have it but have sold the motor home. If you are going to pass through Grand Junction CO on your way south you might want to send me a private message.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

AZRick
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the On the Go, and it does a good job. I have the regular size one, for space reasons.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my BIL had the blue jobby from camping world and seemed to like it.
bumpy

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had one for years and I'm very happy with it. First I had a Travelsoft. It did the job with one small complaint. It used rock salt which was kind of difficult to get through the opening provided. Ice cream salt made it a little easier. It's rock salt but slightly finer. I now have an On The Go. It uses ordinary table salt and has a larger opening. I have the 2x capacity model so it lasts longer between recharges.
Larry