Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen room/tent

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be starting fulltiming this June. I would like to get a compact screen room/tent that we can fit a picnic table within. Does anyone have a favorite to recommend.

I have seen a few and like the LLBean model as it has fairly vertical walls vs. the steep angled walls I have seen on other that take away lots of interior space.

Thanks for your advice,

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
15 REPLIES 15

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will wait to buy something and see how things feel when we hit the road. I would hate to get one and find I can't use it or don't really need it.

Stuart

You are on the right track. Get out and see what may work for you. I understand wanting to be in a screened room to help with the bug situation.

A screen tent, even EZ-up are great but as mentioned not every campground allows them. Also, in a storm even a tied down one may be destroyed.

We had one up for our construction workers to have shade for lunch...one wind storm and it was bent, twisted and ripped even though we had it tied down to steel fence posts. If they aren't tied down they will be blown away.

You will be better served to use your awning for shade and roll it up when not outside & at night. For the bugs...a bug zapper or lots of citronella.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we use a pop up canopy..it has screens..and we've been thru about 6 of them in 7 yrs...we always stay where they're allowed....also...for winter...i use clear HD clear vinyl shower curtain liners on outside of screen..sun shines in..like a sunroom..
we tie it down forever more and ..we line the inside roof with plastic...*we like a good roof peak*...so..i sometimes add a plastic bowl at peak to achieve this..
we get em cheap...at aldi...during their sale..$59..
if they break down...blow away..so what..
we've been thru ice storms with one..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will wait to buy something and see how things feel when we hit the road. I would hate to get one and find I can't use it or don't really need it.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The issue some campgrounds have with the screen rooms is that it kills the grass and makes it an unpleasant mess for the next occupant. If the picnic table is already set on a paved surface or on stones, then it would do no harm unless there's still a 'rule'. Some campgrounds don't allow a clothesline either and each campground will be different so it pays to read first. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some ingenious campers that skirt the CG 'no pop up tent rule' simply by not putting out your awning and putting the EZ-up w/screen right up against your RV under where your awning is.

My camping neighbor did this when he saw screen rooms being allowed but not his EZ-UP. Felt that wasn't fair.

So he rolled up his RV awning and he put that puppy up against the RV under where the awning is just like an RV screen room would be and look like.

CG owner admitted that if it were placed there he really couldn't have a problem with it and allowed them if placed along side your RV from there on in. :C

And if a storm does come up quickly. Just take or knock down the ezup and take cover. At least you know your RV $awning$ is already rolled up and out of harms way.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
EZ-up!!!!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

IMHO RV screen rooms are expensive and a pain to set up and pain to take down. Ask around to fellow campers before making that purchase.

when I bought my TT I considered a R-Pod that came with the optional RDome. figured out that it would only be used if I ever parked a week or more in one location, certainly not for one or two nights so it was useless to me. now a separate pop up screen room, if allowed, would be great.
bumpy

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I have had very good luck with a custom made screen room from Pahaque Their quality is head and shoulders above any others.

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhillmanor,

Great points. I new to Rving and did not know some rv parks do not allow these types of tents.

I have had an easy up in the past but found them to be very heavy. They are easy to open up with two people.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the Cg you are going to stay at.

Albeit the attached screen room is usually not questioned the EZ up type tents that are separate from the RV are not allowed in many CG's.

IMHO RV screen rooms are expensive and a pain to set up and pain to take down. Ask around to fellow campers before making that purchase.

Also keep in mind weather emergencies. Sometimes you have minutes to get that awning in to prevent damage.......now add the time to get that screen room down before you can bring your awning down. That is the main reason I decided not to add a screen room. Just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
littlemo wrote:
EZ up

Screen sold separately.

didn't see any link/mention of a screen? other than that looks good.
bumpy

Screen for EZ up

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
littlemo wrote:
EZ up

Screen sold separately.

bumpy

Scroll down further. It is on the left listed as an item that others also bought. $69.95
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
EZ up

Screen sold separately.

bumpy

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
this

We are on our second one of these. I know it has the sides you didn't like but it is a great tent. Has a loop for light above table. Big enough for a table and a couple of chairs. My kids play cards in it when they visit.