cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern California Campgrounds

JaneNLee
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a a campground or RV park that allows 2 month stay from June to August 2014 in Southern California. Prefer near the ocean but open to all . Thank you all .
Never RV with anyone crazier than you!!
10 REPLIES 10

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to happen on a beach you have to reserve 6 months in advance. You may find a day or two mid week. If you start now
1997 Pursuit class A

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my favorite parks is Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach. But think Coronado. Just yesterday we tried to make reservations for an extended stay in early July. They're already pretty well booked up for that time of the year. Even with the private parks along the coast, the sooner you make the reservations, the better! Last summer we did get reservations at Bernardo Shores, Chula Vista RV & Mission Bay RV when we tried during the spring. But you will notice we had to do some moving. We will not return to Mission Bay RV during the summer. Too many kids with no parental supervision. And, unless you want to relive Woodstock, definitely avoid the one across the bay from it!

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I have made all of my California State Park reservations right up thru July 2014. And I agree that most of the State Parks that are right on the ocean are probably filled by now, although you may be able to get into Morro Bay SP, which is right next to the ocean in Central California, but it has no RV hookups.

Thatโ€™s the thing about the 14-day stay limit, they want to allow as many people as possible to get a campsite. I usually call, or go online, at 8:AM the first business day of the month, to book my camping reservations six-months in advance at California State Parks; some parks will allow you to make reservations 7-months in advance.

I have been shut out of the coastal state parks many times before I learned that you have to get the reservations early to guarantee a site at an oceanside State RV Campground.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
All's I can say is that if you weren't on the phone on the 1st business day of 2014 (Jan 2), then you are out of luck at most state beach parks, especially Carp. until at least the restart of all local schools.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
The fishing ain't bad either!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
In San Diego area try Santee Lakes. It is owned by the Water District and thus doesn't show up on regular reservation systems. 5 lakes with fishing, back in sites next to lake or large grassy camp areas. Very clean and well ran, we've stayed there many times. They have some long term spaces set aside.

Santee Lakes
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
There are several private parks in the Ventura area, as well as San Diego
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
The maximum stay at any State Park in California is 14-consecutive days and then you have to leave for 48-hours before coming back to that same park for 14-consecutive days; now some of the State RV Parks on the beach will only let you stay 7-consecutive days during summer peak season before you have to leave for 48-hours. The other thing to consider is that some State Parks may not be big rig friendly. There are not that many private RV parks right on the beach/coast, most of them are State RV parks.

Go to reserveamerica.com and check out Pismo State Beach Oceano campground, Chula Vista RV Resort and Marina (which is a private RV park), San Clemente State Beach, Carpinteria State Beach, or Bolsa Chica State Beach; they all have RV parks. The State RV parks are cheaper than the private RV Parks but you can stay longer at the private RV parks before having to leave.

If you do stay at a State RV Park book your reservations 6-months in advance because beach campgrounds fill up quickly. The first day of the month 6-months in advance of your wanting to be there make your reservations at 8:AM via telephone or online at reserveamerica.com. If youโ€™re going to stay at a State park book one for 14-days and then book another different one for 14-days right after that, and then come back and reserve another 14-days, maybe at the first one you were at, and so on, until you cover the 2-months you want to stay in Southern California.

But it is important to make your reservations at California State Parks early.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

JaneNLee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Scoot for your fast response. We will look into them. Happy RVing CU on the road. J&L
Never RV with anyone crazier than you!!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
4 Southern California Beach RV Parks for Medium and Large Rigs

RV campgrounds usually feature lakes and wooded areas. Of course, in sunny Southern California, the ocean and copious beaches are a major attraction for travelers. If RV camping on the beach is a must, consider four possible destinations.

San Elijo State Beach
2050 N Highway 101
Encinitas, CA 92024
760-753-5091
Open from dawn to sunset

This on-the-beach RV park is situated along the San Diego coastline. From March to October, an onsite camp store sells basic RV supplies, snacks, fishing gear, and other odds and ends. RV camping is possible for rigs - travel trailers or motorhomes - measuring up to 35 feet in length. There are 171 campsites, each of which must be reserved ahead of time. Enjoy ocean swimming, snorkeling, surfing, and fishing. Please note that the generator shut-off time from 8 p.m. until 10 a.m. is strictly enforced. Prepare to spend about $15 to $35 per night. Factor in another $10 to $15 for hookup sites.

San Onofre State Beach San Mateo Campground
830 Cristianitos Road
San Clemente, CA 92672
949-361-2531
Open from dawn to sunset

Sixty-seven campsites accommodate trailers and motorhomes up to 36 feet in length. RV camping here takes you 3.5 miles inland. A well-worn 1.5-mile nature trail allows easy access to surfing at Trestles Beach. Please note that you must buy firewood; gathering dry wood or brush for a campfire is expressly forbidden. Nightly fees range from $15 to $35, to which you must add $10 to $15 if staying at a hookup site. Although this is one of the Southern California beach RV parks that are open year-round, you must make reservations even during the off season.

Carpinteria State Beach
5361 Sixth St.
Carpineteria, CA 93013
805-684-2811
Open from 7 a.m. to sunset

There are 216 campsites that accommodate tent and RV camping. Head for the Santa Cruz loop if your rig is 30 feet long, and be aware: There are no hookups. The Santa Rosa loop does offer hookups. The San Miguel loop features 70 sites, only half of which have water and electrical hookups for RVs. Please note that you may not build campfires on the beach; keep those fires in the provided rings. Take the time to make some daytrips into nearby Santa Barbara and enjoy the restaurants you can visit there. Pay the customary $15 to $35 per site, and add $10 to $15 if you opt for a spot with hookups.

Bolsa Chica State Park
17851 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
714-846-3460
Open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.; the gates close at 9 p.m.

As Southern California beach RV parks go, this one resembles a parking lot with hookups. That said, it is one of the very few on-the-beach RV parks that can accommodate recreational vehicles up to 40 feet in length. There are beach fire rings, but they are not assigned to camp sites; getting there early and claiming a ring is the best way of ensuring campfire availability. Hookup sites cost from $50 for the back row to $65 for the beach-facing front row. There is also a $15 RV park entry fee. Walk to the beach to swim, surf, fish, and boat.

Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992