cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

total budget allocation: new vs. used

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all. We're 30 days into researching full timing and decided on a fifth wheel/ 1 ton DRW truck based on lifestyle choices. We like hiking, kayaking, backpacking, biking and are very active.

I researched the manufacturers and product lines found in a guide published by Randall Eaton. This is the first ranking, albeit nonscientific and incomplete, in terms of premium vs. entry level, that I'd seen.

We have two scenarios: A) full time for a minimum 5 years then buy stick built house and continue part-timing forever or B) option A except sell everything year 6 and house live.

1) If my trailer only budget were max $50,000 and no preference new vs. used, should I buy a higher quality used unit or a lessor quality new unit, assuming they were the same price?

2) Following 1 above, if one's total budget (tow vehicle + trailer) would NOT allow buying BOTH trailer and truck NEW, which component would you buy new? Or, would you buy both used?

I want to spend max $90,000 (total truck + trailer) with no financing. What's optimal for full timers?

Thanks so much!
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack
11 REPLIES 11

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
There are TONS of really good used units available. You will find the biggest bang for you buck there.

Just go through them with a fine tooth comb and don't be afraid to keep on looking. Plenty of owners are WAY UPSIDE DOWN on their loans so their selling points are higher. Don't settle, just keep shopping.

Thanks for the good info. I've been looking at RVtrader.com. Is this a good resource and are there others I should look at?

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
There are TONS of really good used units available. You will find the biggest bang for you buck there.

Just go through them with a fine tooth comb and don't be afraid to keep on looking. Plenty of owners are WAY UPSIDE DOWN on their loans so their selling points are higher. Don't settle, just keep shopping.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another consideration based on your hobbies would to look at a Toyhauler with a separate garage.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks posters. Buying used makes good sense.

metkccl
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for a 4-5 yr old unit if your only looking to keep it 5-6yrs. Buying new you will never get what you have invested back out of the unit.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And don't be afraid to travel someplace to get the 5th wheel. To me the main item is to know what you want, then start looking specifically for it.

People thought we were nuts to buy our DP in Colorado and then drive it home to Alaska. We bought it from a private party who was the 2nd owner. After about 80 pictures on everything, several phone calls and a little negotiating on price, we flew down and bought it. It was $35K cheaper than the same unit was up here. Three airplane tickets, fuel, food and misc supplies came to about $4K to get it home.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto with other posters.

When we started looking and researched all the manufacturers, we found that newer rigs were not necessarily better. In fact, there are certain years where they were more sturdy depending on the manufacturer. Actually, the newer ones might be less sturdy and of less quality.

Also - because of our lifestyle, I wanted to have enough money to replace the carpet with a hard floor (TrafficMaster Allure) since we had dogs and would be staying in more rustic places where there would be no concrete pad between the dirt and our front door.

Good luck! You are going to have so much fun!

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with the other posters. Buy a 2-3 year old better quality 5th wheel with a floor plan that works for you. I would also try and find a used truck that meets your needs. We bought a 4 year old truck (diesel) that had less than 50K miles on it, and saved about $20K.

You can definitely do it on your budget; spend the time looking for the right units and then go out and enjoy yourself.
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely go higher end used probably 2 - 3 years old. They're out there, you just have to spend a while looking.

Friends bought a new 30' class C last year and we tried to talk them into a couple of local units that were 1 - 2 years old. They bought a new one and now one of them has been laid off from work so they're trying to sell the MH. They're going to still owe money on it after they sell it because of the huge depreciation from driving it off of the lot.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the Highest quaiity used you can find, let some one else pay for the new smell. lots of 5 wheels out there that people bought and decided they didn't like the life style. We went with a 2007 Winnebago and a 2011 Crv

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I would opt for used. Which it what I did. The 5th Wheel that I bought was just like brand New. It still had the new Smell.
God Bless!