cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling and Workamping in Calif.... DMV info...

firedude
Explorer
Explorer
I have received some PM's and emails with questions regarding this topic........

There has been many rumors on the "20 day rule" of being here in the state and being required to register your vehicle here and get a Ca. DL. Below are some facts. Questions regarding specifics should be directed at the DMV for accurate info and answers. This is to provide some information and dispel many rumors.

here is a link to the CHP site that refers to the 20 day rule. It is specifically designed for the purpose of those who live in Ca. and try and cheat the system by registering their vehicles out of state, not designed for travelers visiting the state. Example would be those (residents) trying to evade payments of registration fees and taxes. I believe however if you are in the state over 6 months then you are required to license the vehicle in Ca. I do know it is a requirement for hosting for state parks in that if you are here over 6 months you are required to register your vehicle in Ca. More on that below. I also believe there are waivers for this as well. See below.

In brief the 20 day rule....

** Vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California

It does not apply to those traveling and visiting the state or those who accept a volunteer position in that wages are NOT paid. Volunteer position's are NOT considered employment as long as you are not paid a wage. If you wish to accept a paid position in Ca. and have ANY questions simply call the Ca. DMV at 1-800-777-0133 and clarify your situation. Do not base your actions solely on information provided here in the forums.

This post is an informative post only with information provided for you to clarify your status through the proper channels. It is not open for political debate, bashing of Ca. or any other state and their laws. Such posts will be subject to removal. It does NOT address tax issues as that is another whole subject. For that information please contact an appropriate tax consultant. Please defer any questions and inquiries to the number provided above for further details and clarification of your specific situation and status.

Firedude
DianneOK
RV.net
Forum Moderators
15 REPLIES 15

Lynn_Rupper
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. We have stayed in Calif many times for 1 to 2 months and never had any problems.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 6spd manual
1995 HitchHiker II

Full-timer 1995 to 2009
Snowbird/extended RV'er 2009 to ?

SEMPER FI