cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT elite membership - is it worth it?

26_2_2go
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for feedback on your experience with TT. I've heard a bunch of comments, both positive and negative. To help me decide, I'd would like your thoughts, please only share factual comments, appreciate your response in advance.

I plan to start full time RVing in 2 months. Thru a broker I have found a TT Elite membershiop under $3,000. This membership supposedly sells for around $10,000, so it sounds like a pretty good bargain. 80 plus resorts, 21 nites in, can go from resort to resort year round, annual dues $549. Can terminate membership after 3 yrs with no penalty or keep paying annual fee's. I'm told the membership can be resold for about $1,000 after 2 years but will only include 14 days in resort. Membership also qualifies for RPI for only $89 dues per year and only $10 per night for these resorts.

So, what are your thoughts? Should I invest in this opportunity or run away from this supposedly bargain?
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax w/Allison
2013 Forest River Thunderbolt AMP 395XLR12
2008 Road Star 1700
bicycles: 2 road + 2 trail + 2 pair of running shoes
+ 1 kayak

26.2.2go
12 REPLIES 12

brauneyz
Explorer
Explorer
As FTers since '05 we had a SW zone pass for a year and loved it so much we went online and picked up a resale elite membership for around $1000 + $750 transfer fee, with annual dues of $549. We use it all the time (easily 200+/yr.) and would not hesitate to recommend such a pathway - IF YOU USE IT!

$3000 is probably a little high, but again, if you use it, it will pay for itself pretty quickly. We travel mainly west coast (Seattle to San Diego, + AZ yearly) and have no regrets.

cabanaman
Explorer
Explorer
26.2.2go wrote:
Cabanaman ------- a quick question for you. I see you are retired military, does that give you access to military bases for camping? I'm a honorably discharged veteran, not retire military, would I also have the access to camp at military bases? If so, how do I find the bases that have the camping?

thanks in advance, Terry

YOUR REPLY............ Your dues will be closer to $600 once you get all done.Still worth it doing 200 nights a year.We do at least that.Our time out is done at military bases.
Hi there, You need to have a military ID to get on base so I'm afraid it won't work for you.
Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

26_2_2go
Explorer
Explorer
Cabanaman ------- a quick question for you. I see you are retired military, does that give you access to military bases for camping? I'm a honorably discharged veteran, not retire military, would I also have the access to camp at military bases? If so, how do I find the bases that have the camping?

thanks in advance, Terry

YOUR REPLY............ Your dues will be closer to $600 once you get all done.Still worth it doing 200 nights a year.We do at least that.Our time out is done at military bases.
2008 Road Star 1700
+ 1 kayak

26.2.2go

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure to find out what parks are high use. They like to add onto contracts "up to park managers discretion". Don't sign contract if they add that.

Me Elite spells out 4 east coast parks that are high use. I have no restrictions other than those.

READ READ READ before signing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cabanaman
Explorer
Explorer
Your dues will be closer to $600 once you get all done.Still worth it doing 200 nights a year.We do at least that.Our time out is done at military bases.
Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

Ron8877
Explorer
Explorer
If you use it it is good. Our dues are a lot more than yours so make sure that if you do buy in the dues stay the same. You would end up with a new membership and that might affect the dues. We belong to 2 membership campgrounds about 4 miles from each other and for 3 or 4 years we just went from one campground to another. Was cheap living now where we are we don't have access to either of the systems.
We are working for Amazon right now until Christmas so our living expenses are even cheaper. When we leave here then we will stay at tt again. We let our RPI go since we didn't have the need for it at this time. When we got it I was able to save more than what it cost me on a big trip that we were going to take. If the trip had turned out the way we planned we would have saved a lot of money with the RPImbut due to issues with our mh the trip didn't work out. Now we also have a Passport America membership so we get discounts all over the place. Good luck on your travels. Oh on our TT membership we are also able to get family passes so our boys can use it when they want to. Another cost saings for the family.
Ron
Ron & Ali Workentin
www.ali1257.blogspot.com

26_2_2go
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, much helpful.

Old-Buscuit - $950 for CC/RPI plus the $10+ per nite fees is ok but I think the TT plan I mention is better with zero day fees at any TT reserve. Not sure how many days we'll use the TT reserves but likely 100 to 200 days per year, that easily pays for itself in 1 year. The other days will be traveling outside the TT reserves and likely using the CC/RPI for $10-$20 per nite.

Path1 - My contract states 120 days advance booking, this will help with busy and popular reservation times, such as summer when school is out and winter when snowbirds fly south.

Cabanaman - $1500 is a good price but it likely does not includes the $750 transfer fees, my cost already includes the fees, plus the 3 weeks in and 120 advance booking are big advantages with zero day fees (except for $3 for 50amp).

So far no one has convinced me to run away from the supposedly bargain so I move closer to likely taking the plunge and purchasing. For those in the TT reserves I look forward to possibly meeting you some day..... cheers and happy trails!
2008 Road Star 1700
+ 1 kayak

26.2.2go

cabanaman
Explorer
Explorer
That's a little high,my friend got one from a broker on ebay for $1500.
I am using an old membership handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me.
14 in 7 out or 4 in no time out.We could not afford to live without it.
Retired Navy

path1
Explorer
Explorer
can go from resort to resort year round, annual dues $549. Can terminate membership after 3 yrs with no penalty or keep paying annual fee's. I'm told the membership can be resold for about $1,000 after 2 years but will only include 14 days in resort. Membership also qualifies for RPI for only $89 dues per year and only $10 per night for these resorts.

Sounds better than mine. You didn't mention (and you don't have to) But a question is ask is how far out can make reservations? Advance reservations only plays a part when school is out in popular areas, IMO.

My biggest caution to you would be, make sure you use it to get your money back after buying. And then don't go to any meetings where sale people talk. If you get tricked or trapped tell them you can't sign because it will amend the contract you all ready have.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally, $3000 is still too much.

I would do some more research on 'resale' memberships.

We spent $950for C2C/RPI which allows us up to 14 mights at affiliate campgrounds (TT/Naco/Colorado River/Ocean Canyon etc.)

As full timers memberships can work......
Buy cheap (resale) AND
Use them

One place to check out resales.
RV Park Store
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
I am a full timer and have been a Elite member of Thousand Trails since 05. Back then it was private, under different owners, and public was not allowed without invite. Now with the public able to camp and visit for day use only, thefts and unruly children have become a problem. The public has no vested interest in the operations and maintenance of the campgrounds.
But if you take precautions and members report problem campers, things will get better.

If you use your TT membership at least 30 days a year, you will get your return on the dollar.
With averaging (LOW) a nite of camping at $24 a night x 30 days equals $720
I
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We have the TT Elite membership. The price for a resale sounds about right. I would want to get the membership number and call TT direct to confirm the details. We fulltime and our TT membership works for us. We will average over 250 days/nights a year in TT parks.

Best wishes on your fulltime adventures.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog