cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart Camping

Dave_Kirby
Explorer
Explorer
I was just told by a camp host today that if you camp overnight at a Walmart you should not put your jacks out or your slides out. She said it was abusing the privilege of the free camping. We have always called ahead and made sure it was ok but always put out our slides. I would appreciate any input since I donโ€™t want to be inconsiderate.
18 REPLIES 18

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Enough already....closed
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 and leave it clean. I have never been turned down. but I like a church lot better. times we,ve stopped at a church theres somebody around ,and have never been told no,even offered electric@water.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Kirby wrote:
I was just told by a camp host today that if you camp overnight at a Walmart you should not put your jacks out or your slides out. She said it was abusing the privilege of the free camping. We have always called ahead and made sure it was ok but always put out our slides. I would appreciate any input since I donโ€™t want to be inconsiderate.

This is the only thing that really matters. Everyone else's ... EVERYONE's doesn't matter. You did the right thing and you are OK. Continue doing this and you'll be just fine.

RVRoamer428
Explorer
Explorer
you never 'camp' at Walmart ๐Ÿ™‚

stop, relax, shop, sleep some and drive on.

no jacks, no awings, no chairs out, no BBQ outside (HAHA) and all that mess.

yes, a slide can go out, only the ones you need and are necessary to function in your rv for a short stop and stay/sleep.

common sense goes a very long way in this dept....some have it, some don't have a clue!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Google Image:::

The above picture looks like the WalMart in Whitehorse, Yukon. It is now closed to parking with RVs because of RVers abuse.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
I have heard the Jacks can ruin the concrete and that has prompted some Walmarts to stop overnight camping. Just go far out in the parking lot if you want to extend the slideouts.

More like they jacks can damage the asphalt parking lot, especially if in a hot area.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
I see no more overnight parking at Woodburn & Salem Walmart.

Link

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Here is the only thing the Walmart website says about overnight RV parking. Anything else is just someone's opinion.

"Question;
Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

Answer;
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."
I've asked several times, but have never gotten a response. If Walmart considers RV travelers as some of their best customers, who do they consider among their worst?
I bet Walmart considers anyone who pays for the merchandise they leave with to be in best customer category. Probably doesn't matter if you drive a Prevost, a Ferrari, a Pinto or arrive on a camel.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The way I see it, literally, in my local Walmarts is that if you stop by in the evening on your way to a destination, ask permission if you can spend the night, then leave in the morning, no problem...

But, if you are there for over 24 hours, you are homeless and basically taking advantage of the offer and ruining it for those that do just need to spend maybe up to 8 hours to rest between destinations...

I've seen rigs parked in my local Walmart for a MONTH.. No idea how or why they allowed that, but that was a couple of years ago and I have not seen that since, so I'm sure they at least stopped folks from doing that..

If you want to only stay for around 8 or so hours and you need to put your slide out, I don't see a problem with that... Just be gone by the next time I visit that Walmart.. ๐Ÿ™‚

"Camping" is not really what the intention is.

I've never done this in a Walmart before, but just from being a customer to my local Walmart, I notice the rigs that are there "camping" and those that are just there to get a few hours of rest....

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard the Jacks can ruin the concrete and that has prompted some Walmarts to stop overnight camping. Just go far out in the parking lot if you want to extend the slideouts.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Is this an old issue? Has it been covered in the last 12 years. Maybe it's just a slow night. Lol

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Google Image:::

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the only thing the Walmart website says about overnight RV parking. Anything else is just someone's opinion.

"Question;
Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

Answer;
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Hands wrote:
Welcome to the forum..
Welcome? This person joined 12 years ago.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman