Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're new and excited!

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
My husband and I have decided to be full-timers and wanted to take a minute to introduce ourselves. We don't have any particular questions, just wanted to say hi!

We've talked about Rv'ing full-time for a few years now, and we've finally committed to buying a rig and getting out on the open road. The house is on the market, all of our possessions are either in storage or gone, and we're in rig shopping mode; we couldn't be more excited!

We are young, 35 and 34, and while we've heard there are people out there that are our age, it seems that we are the minority. Even if there aren't many in our age group, it's people of like mind that we're after! I hope we find that in abundance!

Thanks for reading, and thanks for being so welcoming! We can't wait!!
30 REPLIES 30

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
What is the quick fix?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 36' on a F53 Ford chassis. DH wishes he would have known about the cheap fix 3 years before we did. It made a world of difference in how the rig handled (gas engine).

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum and to fulltiming. Happy Trails.
God Bless!

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
tonyandkaren, awesome resource! I hadn't come across this one yet! Thanks!

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to fulltiming RVing! We've been doing it for over 20 years so be careful - it's addictive!

Here's where all of the young ones hang out - http://www.technomadia.com/young-full-time-rving-nomads/
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
CA traveler, I know how you feel. DH and I find ourselves justifying the larger rig every time we look. He's 6'6" and that does limit us in certain areas (shower and bed). The ones we like the best are in the 40-42' range. I didn't even think about the limits on what roads we would be able to travel! Another thing to think about, glad you mentioned it! Do you find with some pre-planning, you're not too restricted?

2gypsies, We've given some thought to getting rid of the storage container, but we just can't bear to do that yet. We do plan to go back to a stick house in a few years, and would like to keep our things. BUT, I have heard (and read) that once you go out full-time, it's hard to go back to a "normal" way of life. If we find that is the case, then we will plan to get rid of it. Good point!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
But if I was FT vs the 6 mth status I'd buy 45', deal with any size restrictions and enjoy the few extra sq ft.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will definitely find younger full-timers out there. Many are able to work from their RV as you plan. It's easier to do than years ago. I've read some interest blogs. You might try Googling something like "blog, young RVers" and I'm sure something will come up.

We began in our early 50's and absolutely had a blast for 16 years traveling constantly and volunteering in national and state park occasionally.

Best of luck to you and don't keep that storage container too long. It really doesn't pay to do so.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesandKate wrote:

I know this is a very general, open ended question, but for those of you that have rigs in the 36-42ft range, is there anything you wish you knew ahead of time?
Yes, I got carried away with the current 42' rig. The justification was it was for the DW, OK not to mention me.

42' is nice and perhaps I would repeat but I did limit us to CA roads that aren't restricted to MH that are 40+ like Ft Bragg and much of US 1 on the CA coast. Not to mention park size restrictions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That's never an easy situation, but I'm sure she's glad you have you close while she recovers!
I totally agree! Life is short and that's exactly why we're setting out! It doesn't matter how old you are, like-mindedness brings people together! 🙂

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Though we're about twice your age, we, too, have decided to go fulltiming. Everything with the house finished up on Oct. 8 (or thereabouts). Medical condition of my mother is preventing us from leaving for the open road just yet, but we're READY! I say life is short, enjoy it now. 🙂
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
No, we don't have any kids, and don't plan to at the moment. We do both work, and have jobs very applicable to full-timing. As far as traveling or staying, we haven't quite figured that out yet. We've read many resources that suggest there are benefits and detriments to both. At the moment, we've decided we will do a little of both as we follow the good weather over the country.
Hm, a weigh-in, where should we go first?

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have thought of full timing, but it as yet has not felt quite right. Questions that come up. Do you have kids? Do you both work? Do you plan on traveling or staying long term in a trailer park?

CharlesandKate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!
It's ok that there isn't anyone our age, we figured that would be the case. In fact, we find this in most of the things we like to do, and we rather prefer it. I just hope we'll be welcomed.
We feel very fortunate that our jobs are both "commutable" and allow us to be anywhere on the globe. It helps us to quell our insatiable appetite for adventure!
I know this is a very general, open ended question, but for those of you that have rigs in the 36-42ft range, is there anything you wish you knew ahead of time?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find almost no one your age, unless they're transient workers, so be prepared to hang out with old people. I retired at 55 and felt very young, comparatively.

By what good fortune do you find yourself doing this at such a young age?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman