cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is full timing really?

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Just a question about terms: If you are living in a shelter on land you own, how is that considered "full timing?" I have noticed people using the term more and more loosely, to the point of people claiming to full time even if they just live in the same park for years.

I consider full timing to be a lifestyle choice that includes a certain amount of travel. If living in a structure on land and never moving is considered full timing now, then I guess everyone is a full timer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I originally posted the above in the thread about full timing in a tent, then thought maybe I should post it as a separate topic. So, what do you RVers think?
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one
48 REPLIES 48

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The definition "full timing" as if one really needs to nitpick, is what you want it to be.

Old-Biscuit wrote:
Well..according to Wikipedia:

Oh yes, quote from a source that literally can change from day to day. I almost thought you were serious until you closed your post with "bonjour". I almost fell out of my chair. :C
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance company considers it anything over 149 days/yr.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

orfsotr
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it great that here in the Land of the Free, if you want to live in an RV (either mobile or stationary)and call yourself a fulltimer you can? And while my concept of a fulltimer may differ from someone elses - well gosh, here in the Land of the Free, that's perfectly OK!!!

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
When we called ourselves fulltimers, we owned no house, traveled about 10000 miles a year, enjoyed all kinds of camping...had everything we owned with us. Now that life dictated we get off the road, own a house, have everything with us and the fiver morphed to a truck camper...We call ourselves " former fulltimers"

Life is what you make of it.....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
When I say we are preparing to fulltime, I mean that we are getting the house ready for the market, giving the good furniture to the kids, donating most everything else, moving into our RV, and hitting the road. We may spend 1 night in a place, we will definitely spend months during the winter in one place.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Why do we need this label defined?

Because it's winter and we're all bored stiff and we've already talked about toilet paper, campfires, boondocking vs. drycamping, RVers vs. campers, tires, Chevy vs.Ford Vs. Dodge, ten-year rules, HOA rules, Class A only resorts, unleashed pets/children/inlaws, generators, and Montana LLC's.

We're scrapin' the bottom of the barrel now...:B

Thanks, now I remember winter. Being from Florida, the sun is full time!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
Several years ago,I was told by "full timer" that I could not be considered a "full timer because we still own a house. So,in that persons mind,we are not full timers,even though we have lived and traveled in our fiver for 7 1/2 years!

We think we are fulltimers,therefore,we are. (We still own the house,and the rent collected has really helped the bank account.)

That happened to me too. The person actually got quite irate at me for daring to own a house and travel full time in my RV. :R You never really know what's going to trip someone's trigger, do you?
OR
Pick one

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Off-Topic: Every time I see AprilWhine post something I walk around singing Roller for the next hour. Does anyone else do that? Or maybe I like to rock?

:B
OR
Pick one

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason I kept my house and rented it out was because the market is so bad that I could not sell it. But I could not let that stop me from living and traveling in my RV full-time. So I rented my house out and the extra income is great.

The other thing is I was totally blind for about 5-years due to my U.S. Army Vietnam War service; went thru more than a dozen eye surgeries to regain my eyesight, and currently have implants in both eyes. The implants need periodic adjustment about every 7 to 10 years.

One day I will not be able to drive, as may be the case for most of us, and if I can not sell my current house then I will have that house to fall back on if for some reason I have to stop full-timing. Although Iโ€™d rather sell the house and full-time RV as long as I possibly can.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me, it means living in an rv that is used to travel. You may stop for a short time, or for a few months, but you then travel to a different locations.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Why do we need this label defined?

Because it's winter and we're all bored stiff and we've already talked about toilet paper, campfires, boondocking vs. drycamping, RVers vs. campers, tires, Chevy vs.Ford Vs. Dodge, ten-year rules, HOA rules, Class A only resorts, unleashed pets/children/inlaws, generators, and Montana LLC's.

We're scrapin' the bottom of the barrel now...:B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just becoming aware that this is a hot button issue with some so it's probably not a great issue for a forum.

Still, I'll just say that I think it's a self-applied label. If a person wants to call oneself a fulltimer using whatever qualification they want to use it's okay.

If there was some kind of perk gained by using the term then it might be that some kind of consensus would be necessary but since there is no government assistance for fulltimers or special lane on the freeway reserved for fulltimers or some kind of Walmart discount for fulltimers then it really doesn't matter does it.

We think of ourselves as "traveling fulltimers." I've seen some who are stationary fulltimers - living in a RV fulltime but not ever moving it. And, of course, there are all kinds of variations in between.

I guess it's similar to calling oneself a "football fan" - within those ranks are those who love any game played with the pointy ball to those who are big fans of their 7 year old's peewee league. There's a big difference between the two but both can legitimately lay claim to being a "football fan."
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Whoops! I thought a "Full-timer" was any person)s who lived in their RV and did not own a sticks & bricks. What am I to know! Things seem to change by the second.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
When I describe us as fulltimers, I mean that 13 years ago, we sold the sticks & bricks and everything that we couldn't lightly carry with us, headed down the road and haven't looked back. If we ever find ourselves in a position where we can't pull up stakes and move within 24 hours (actually far less) we will no longer consider ourselves fulltiming.

If you are living in a comfortable but aged RV that likely COULDN'T be moved or anything in between that and a plush-bus and wish to call yourself(vs) fulltimers, why on earth would that disturb us or anyone else? We ultimately call ourselves HAPPY.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind, Iโ€™m doing the same thing. Rented out my house for extra income and live โ€œfull-timeโ€ in my RV traveling here and there. Itโ€™s great and I love the extra rental income every month.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel