cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter water supply

beelbill
Explorer
Explorer
Have completed 3 months of summer full-time RV living and still prepping for winter. I have loved it so far but have made lots of mistakes and getting tired of learning things the hard way. So for all you people that have survived a winter in the RV, what is your advice? Should I use a heated hose or fill and disconnect using the holding tank and water pump? The gray and black water tanks have heat blankets but the drinking water tank doesn't. If I go with heated hose, which one, Camco or Pirit? I am in the mood for some good horror stories.
9 REPLIES 9

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Pirit hose, wrapped hydrant with 3 1/2 in fiberglass insulation and plastic bags to limit air infiltration nights lows were in upper teens most days were at or above freezing. I have heated tanks so only dumped when full. Will do the same this year if needed.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

familyof3
Explorer
Explorer
Just go with the heated hoes. Pirit hose works for us. That's the least of your worries.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh. Good reason! Good luck and stay warm.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

beelbill
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Any reason you're staying there? 🙂

Staying for the job.

Sounds like both ways of preventing frozen pipes are viable options. No horror stories yet.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Spent 2 winters in northern Nevada (-20*F). My trailer is an exposed belly, no frills unit.

I used pressured water from the spigot. I added the 'Easy Heat' heat tape to my water hose, and held in place with electrical tape. The t-stat was placed about a foot from the trailer end, went to the trailer city connection and wrapped around the 90* fitting, then back along the hose to the spigot. Had ordered enough to give me a couple feet at the spigot to wrap around the valve and line in to the ground. Hose was then covered with foam insulation, and fiberglassed the water connection and wrapped with a plastic trash bag.

I used a stick on holding tank heater to the gray and black tanks from Ultra Heat. 120VAC only for me. I drained only when tanks were full, to keep from possibly icing my drain line.

Whole trailer was skirted with the thinnest OSB I could find, and was backed with 1" foil lined styrofoam insulation.

I also installed the styrofoam in the windows and entry door, cut to fit, and wrapped the edges with duct tape to keep the foam balls from being everywhere.

I also swapped out the single power outlet for a dual unit on the back side of the fridge, plugged in a low wattage bulb and covered a majority of the fridge vents to keep it working properly.

I survived.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Any reason you're staying there? 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Full Timing...........move southwards come winter.

Living in an RV and not moving.
Fill fresh water tank use pump. Disconnect hose in between refills
Use RV furnace as MAIN heat and supplement with electric space heaters
Leave cabinet doors open at night for warm air circulation inside cabinets
Skirt the underside and use 100W light bulbs to provide some heat
Propane tanks exposed.......blanket/cover---light bulb for warmth as needed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spend the winter of 2013 in the Columbia river gorge. We got down to the low teens with snow and winds at a pretty constant 20MPH. The park had freeze proof faucets, so heated water hose, 5 gallon bucket upside down over the faucet with a 75 watt drop light bulb inside. We did fine all winter that way with no freezeups after that.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I just disconnect the water hose and use the pump during freezing weather. I also drain the hose so it will not freeze up.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog