cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

canada travel

sakayvv
Explorer
Explorer
3rd trip with w/5th wheel. Plan to travel to Maine from MI this fall. Thinking about going thru Canada shortest route. Do not plan to stay in Canada just travel thru. Never traveled out of states. Have passports and medical records for 1 dog. What do we need to know to enter Canada, what to expect at border crossings. What do we need for entry, what can we bring with us during our crossing, will there be a search of our truck & 5th wheel, what about getting diesel fuel? Will there be problem with using US currency, what about credit cards? I'm sure I may have more questions but will start with these. Any information and knowledge will be very appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
Good info on the 407 Toll Road. Did not know that and being pulled over would really piss me off. With my new TT, and right now being about 15 minutes from the border, I asked both the American guards and the Canadian guards what was the easiest way to cross the border with a TT. Both said don't bring fruit or veggies if you can help it as this may be an issue. Moving guns across the border requires paperwork ahead of time, and if you are just travelling through, avoid bringing booze as well. Just buy all that stuff when you get to your final destination. Had an issue up here with an American getting upset about not being able to buy ammunition. Need a license for that. I have learned that with all windows down, all hats off, all sunglasses off, and your passports being handed over the first thing you do, and then answering the questions truthfully usually gets you through no problem. It is an international border..... and usually a friendly one. Have fun in Canada, but remember to fill up before coming over the border!!! The price of fuel is nuts right now.
We are planning a camping trip in the Adirondacks and plan on buying food when we cross the border. Easiest thing to do.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
As a person who travels to Canada every year I can give a couple of tips. If you cross at Cornwall,NY you will have to go through Toronto on the 401. At certain times this is a real challenge. If you are going on a weekend no problem. Rush hour during the week is not good. Noon is also a fairly good time. If you want to avoid Toronto you can cross at Niagara Falls and take 403 to 401 to 402 to Port Huron. You will not need to buy fuel this way and avoid a lot of traffic. We are going to Fiddle Time in Pembroke for Labor Day so we will be through there some time that week. Whatever you do DO NOT take the ETR 407 around Toronto. It is a toll road and if you have a MH and no transponder they can stop y ou and fine you as often as they want for $250.00. There are no toll booths, just electronic billing after the fact.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If you are travelling to Maine from Michigan you'll likely only be in Canada for a few hours at best. From Detroit/Sarnia to Buffalo NY. You shouldn't need fuel cause it's not that far. Be sure to tell the Canadian border guard that your in transit back to the US, and that you're not going to stop in Canada. This works every time for us. We've done this many times....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We here in Canada are quite receptive to visitors, we have some rules though.....

If you want to bring in weapons, you will need proper permits ahead of time

Most credit cards are accepted as well as American cash in larger shops

Seat belt laws vary in province, includind car seats...very strict

Hand use of cell phones or texting, heavy fine while driving

If you have a criminal record, have been arrested, even a driving under the influence you will likely be denied access

Gas is more expensive here, you will also find eating out is also.

If you decide to travel through our magnificent country, welcome!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
To reinforce: check the Canadian government regulations yourself - things can change.

Think of September 11, 2001 and you know they can change in minutes. Usually it takes longer, but it still can change, so double check yourself.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
Come on up here to the best country in the world, but leave your guns behind!
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3778
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
pfidahospud wrote:
popupcamping wrote:
You can not have any weapons what so ever including mace and bearsprays.

That's not quite right, but is a very common misconception. On my last trip to Canada two months ago, the Canadian Border Patrol agent asked if we had bear spray after I advised him we planned to do some back-country hiking. He highly suggested we did bring bear spray for protection. See page 11, #25, section c, under Exceptions at the Canadian Border Security website here.

but in this case the OP can not make that claim and will be detained. Best to not have it

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
popupcamping wrote:

That's not quite right, but is a very common misconception. On my last trip to Canada two months ago, the Canadian Border Patrol agent asked if we had bear spray after I advised him we planned to do some back-country hiking. He highly suggested we did bring bear spray for protection. See page 11, #25, section c, under Exceptions at the Canadian Border Security website here.

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled through Canada many times but have only had a walk through about 3 times in 4 years. Last one was yesterday. The agent opened every car ahead of us and confiscated a bag of citrus from the one ahead of us. This was the American side in Port Huron. She came in our motor home and opened the refrigerator, bathroom and just seemed to be looking for humans as she didn't open any compartments or cabinets. The refrigerator was more like opening it to make sure it was actually a refrigerator.

Traveling through I now have a policy of fueling up before I enter and only after I exit Canada. I stopped at an Esso on Oil Heritage Rd. at 402. The guy wouldn't let me pay at the pump. So I filled up and then he told me that he can't take American credit cards unless I call them before hand and tell them that I am going to use it in Canada. So I ended up having to give him most of my cash and he told me the exchange rate is .05 in his favor. BTW it was supposed to be .05 in my favor. This is the first time this has ever happened in Canada. I camp in Canada frequently and everyone takes my credit card.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Foods NOT allowed entry into the USA: All citrus is banned. Lamb and goat for human consumption is banned in any form, also L/G in pet food. More than 50# of potatoes from Newfoundland are banned. Chicken from BC is banned. Whole tomatoes and bell peppers are banned. Sliced or cut up tomatoes and peppers are able to enter. Plants with soil on their roots are banned if not accompanied with a clearance certificate. Cut flowers are able to enter. Christmas trees are not allowed entry unless accompanied by a clearance certificate. Most meats from Asia, Africa, and Europe are banned. Moose meat, caribou meat, elk meat, bear meat, and migratory fowl meat is allowed to enter if crossing with the person who harvested it and that person is in possession of a valid Canadian license and that person has any applicable Canadian export permits in their possession. Hope this helps.

Lakeside

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
There is a section of this forum called RVing in Canada and Alaska: http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/65.cfm

At the top of the front page in that section are sticky threads with links to a lot of essential webpages - especially those from the Canadian government with '.gc.ca' in the url.

They tell you regulations for food, pets, tobacco, liquor, firearms, firewood.

& there are a lot of threads where folks have given their experience.

Remember no Border Guard has time to ask about all the things covered by regulations. You could just get caught for thorough search, even if that only happens to a few people. So, prepare for it.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm... we have diesel

We like everywhere in the world except all major credit cards

We will accept foreign currency

You may be searched. You will be asked many questions

If you or anyone in your party has a prior arrest you may be denied entry

There are many food regs as well you should read about