cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New HD 800 Shaw TV Receiver from Canada

toban
Explorer
Explorer
Was wondering if this receiver will work in the USA this fall.

When I read the instructions how to activate this new receiver there's a LNB check whatever that means and a check if you are locked on etc, then activate. Maybe this is part of making sure you are locked onto the satellite.

But, someone said this past spring with this new receiver, they can tell where you are? If that's the case, we're all toast because you have to use this new receiver.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone now has activated this new receiver in the USA to see if it works and did they have any trouble activating down there. Of course you don't tell them where you are unless they can tell now.

Any comments on this?

Toban
12 REPLIES 12

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Starlink does "have" anything. Starlink gives you an internet connection. What you do with that is up to you.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Star Link provides internet access but not TV. You can stream TV with it of course.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
You only have to activate a new receiver once. Do it from home.
Mine is at the cottage, we have power outages regularly. Never have to re-activate.

toban
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm using my Canadian cell phone contact they have on file, how would they know where I am?

Anyway, yes, you have to have an internet connection in order to access the Shaw Direct website in order to activate the dish from your account. I bought 2- 800 receivers. 1 is a backup.

If I can't get the signal anymore, I guess I'll have to go to direct on a tripod as a seasonal customer and use the address I'm at for the winter. Don't know if that will work?

Anybody know anything about Star Link? Do they have Canadian TV?

Toban

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The RX doesn't have to be attached to the internet to be activated - it has to be attached to a dish that can receive a signal.

What DOES have to be attached to the internet is the PC you will use to activate. They can tell from where is your IP.

Or use the phone to activate but they know where that is too.

What are you planning on using when SD dies? I haven't decided for myself.

toban
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I was wondering if the new 800 receiver would identify your position to Shaw when you are trying to activate. The Internet connection I think is just for Shaw Direct on Demand purchases for movies etc so you don't need to turn on the internet connection. Apparently the receiver will ask you if you want this or not.

I assumed it would be the same procedure in activation as the old 600. The quad LNB will work on the 800 as it stated this in the instructions on the Shaw Direct website. I always just called them from my Canadian cell number which is the primary contact number. Tell them I want to activate and within 5 minutes we have a picture and my programming.

Hopefully it will be that simple with the new 800 receiver. I had the 600 for years but they told me as of the next spring which was 2023, it was being phased out.

I'm in AZ on the east side of Phoenix. I have the 75CM dish and my signal strength is 97%.

Toban

Hi Toban, just wondering if you are having any issues with your new 800 receiver in AZ.  I’m in Los Angeles and the new 800 receiver worked well for a few months and now doesn’t work - I have 75cm but with an old dual quad LNB - can’t get signal passed 50%

any insight would be great.

thx.

j

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I forgot to answer your first question: will it work this fall? The definitive, exact answer is "Nobody knows". I'll take my receivers anyway.

BTW, at the moment, the sat. drift is making stronger signals for some in Florida but it'll keep on drifting out of sight.

If you can, activate your receiver in Canada before you go. You might have trouble doing it down south.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Shaw Direct updated their LNBs (or more precisely WE updated Shaw's LNBs (the lump on the end of the sick on the dish)) a few years ago. I'm pretty sure a new 800 series RX will not work with an old LNB.

Yes, I had Shaw Direct in Florida last winter but only on F2 satellite (G1 is not pointed at southern USA). As F2's orbit gets more wobbly (it has no fuel for station keeping) eventually (any day now really) we won't be able to receive its signals. Ergo, no Shaw Direct in southern USA.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There have been reports of receiving SHAW in the US but it's dependent upon the satellite and your US location. If they have coverage maps that could be helpful. Do a internet search and see what you find.

There is no transmit capability but if the receiver is connected to the internet then location information could be available.

Not real familiar with SHAW but typically the receiver will check hardware, connect to the satellites it's programmed for if possible and then activate as programmed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Can't answer your question but I can tell you they can't tell where you are. They would be able to tell what satellites the receiver can see but that's all. It's one way communications only. The receiver cannot send info out without an internet connection.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I have that same new receiver at the cottage.
I don't know how it can tell where you are when it can't 'send' only receive. I hooked it up, waited till it booted up and then went online to hit the activate button. Took a few minutes. This is our third receiver and it was the easiest by far to get going.