cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A week in SD: share your must-see places & CGs

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad

We are looking at spending 7-9 days this summer on a trip to South Dakota (2-3 days total travel, we are based out of eastern Iowa). 

Would love to hear your thoughts on must-see places and recommendations for campgrounds (would like to stick with full hookup CGs).

TIA, travel safely, wave often!

2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd
8 REPLIES 8

debrhardt
Explorer II
Explorer II

Custer state park for camping.  You can make reservations 12 months out while the rest of SD state parks are 3 months out.

Things we do: Mount Rushmore, Black Hills Playhouse,  There is a ghost town near the playhouse (I forget its name, there is a website). Custer State Park. Devil's Tower near Sundance Wyoming, we also camp there but no hookups or dump, but exit 187 along the interstate has a dump.. Wall Drug. Badlands, camp at Ben Reifel.  Just pull-outs along two loops but have electric..  Can make reservations there on their website. We find that SD state parks are all pretty good.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III

Wind and Jewel Caves, Mammoth Center, any mountain hike and/or drives are our favorites 

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

We went to Wind Caves a couple of years ago and the elevators were out of order with no idea when they would get parts.  We then went to Jewel Caves and it was great, would highly suggest taking the lantern cave tour.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III

If you can manage the hike to the top of Black Elk Peak (formerly known as Harney Peak) it is worth the hike.  It is beautiful.  Drive the Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills and drive the Wildlife Loop in Custer SP.  The Badlands are worth driving through, stop and look, don't just drive through.  The Notch Trail is worth the hike if you don't mind a very rustic ladder you have to climb.  

When we drive from WI through SD, we avoid I-90 and prefer to take the US highways.  The people in the small towns love tourist spending money so they will talk with you and make you feel at home.  

Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II

Am a fan of SD and its sights. Depending on your route if through Nebraska either on your way there or home I would stop at Fort Robinson State park in Crawford. It in its self is a 2 day visit with great FHU sites. 

Fort Robinson | Nebraska Game & Parks Commission (outdoornebraska.gov)

Of course  Mount Rushmore and all the things to see and do there. The steam train is a great ride, with its stop over well worth it. Custer state park is a great drive also, its to bad you are not going in the fall as the Buffalo round up is something that should be on ever ones bucket list.

My go to RV part when visiting the Custer, Rapid City area is. Fort WeLikit.

Black HIlls Campgrounds | Fort Welikit Family Campground (blackhillsrv.com)

The Badlands is a good drive you can either stay is Wall or we stayed last at the KOA outside of Interior. Found it to be a good location.  Interior, South Dakota Campground | Badlands / White River KOA Holiday

Either way have fun as there is alot to do. One other thing and I guess it depends if you are a motorcycle fan or not. The annual Sturgis Rally in August brings lots of folks on bikes into the area. Jus something to think about

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Great input, thanks. We hope to steer well clear of the 2-wheel crowd, probably going just after July 4th.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

There are many excellent places to visit near Rapid City, SD. I would go on the Internet to find visitor information that they can mail to you. Otherwise, there are information centers found at the border with many magazines and maps with needed information.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Thanks. We do have the tourism info headed our way via snail mail and there are several obline resources that we've been perusing.