cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 e450 class c pats light blinking NO Start **SOLVED**

Droptop351
Explorer
Explorer
I have a RV on a 2008 e450 chassis. When you go to start it the pats light blinks really fast. Sometimes I can get it to start by opening closing doors turning ignition on and off havent found one pattern that works.

Im supposed to leave to take family on vacation tomorrow and im fighting this. Any help is appreciated greatly.

This is not a pats equipped vehicle it has just hte plain jane keys.

Ive tried changing battery to no avail.
Tried leaving cable off battery to let it reset
Tried pats reset procedure (figured was worth a try)

Symptoms:
1.) no start
2.) sometimes gauges go flat and odometer will read --------
3.) sometimes odometer will go blank
4.) abs and airbag lights come on from time to time
5.) when I come to stop at a light 4 lights will come on in bottom left and immediately go away when i start driving

7 REPLIES 7

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Let me think about this. In the "good ole days" these vehicles were much more simple, didn't have bells and whistles, had fewer speed transmissions, little or no electronics. Now, I understand Sprinter based RVs have a "limp home" mode when something malfunctions and limp apparently is an appropriate description.

The result: on a motorhome like mine they only got 9 or 10 mpg. OH! They still only get 9-10 mpg. The difference was, I suppose, shorter life and a vehicle that the average guy could work on with basic tools and knowledge. My first Class C's water heater lighted with a match and it worked flawlessly. It's water pump was....get this...made in America as was virtually everything on it.

Yes, vehicles will run up a lot of miles anymore without as much maintenance and with sometimes fewer problems. I just wonder if we haven't past the point of diminishing returns. Self driving RV anyone?
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am ***SO*** Glad! We had a case a couple years ago where an anti-theft kept a Class C from starting and it was a mess! Couldn't get off a campsite, coach was towed, shop couldn't start it, forget what all. Went on for a good while and though I forget the cause and outcome (if it was ever posted, so THANK YOU for telling us), but it went way beyond annoying.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Droptop351
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out that the fuse box under the dash was dangling and causing all of the issues

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
I'm going to guess (note the key word "guess"!) that you have a loose connection to or in a control computer that's sometimes jiggling around and making the computer reset itself. I don't envy you in the least trying to track down that sort of a problem.

My thoughts also. Go under the hood and with the engine off unplug one at a time anything that looks like it goes into a control box. Look closely at the connectors and using a spray specifically for electronics spray each connector. That's what I would do. You say that you have had the battery disconnected, that will reset the computer also. I would also unplug the main fuse and check other fuses directly related to the computer. Double check those battery cables and ensure your ground cable to the battery and the frame is clean and tight.

I had a diesel generator once that stumped the best and it was a bad ground to the frame.

Have you used a code reader yet, my 08 Wrangler had a clock spring fail, it's the round device that controls airbag and all controls on your steering wheel, and I was getting flashing codes and

tones until I replaced it. It had an effect on my ignition switch as well.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to guess (note the key word "guess"!) that you have a loose connection to or in a control computer that's sometimes jiggling around and making the computer reset itself. I don't envy you in the least trying to track down that sort of a problem.

Droptop351
Explorer
Explorer
That was with it running to show what happens

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
According to photo you are starting in drive. I'm probably wrong BUT why are you starting unit in drive rather than park??
Kennyg