cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2009 Tiffin Phaeton Engine Rebuild

deholdt
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2009 Phaeton has a Cummins ISC 8.3 needs to have hte engine rebuilt. Cummins gave me an estimate of $66,000 and a reman engine is $78,000. Sounds ridiculous. Anyone have an experience with this?
23 REPLIES 23

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
230 degrees is on the high side but not necessarily engine damaging
if there is engine damage it will usually be 1. scored piston and cylinder liners this will cause engine knock and increased blowby out of the breather tube 2. cracked cylinder head and possibly blown head gasket this would cause coolant loss from the overflow tube on the radiator under normal driving and engine temps and possible coolant in the oil.
regardless of the outcome the radiator should be cleaned as dirt,leaves and grass clippings go through the charge air cooler and plug the face of the coolant radiator. My 94 am eagle had all of the dirt and leaves plus 4 dirt Dawber nests

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Check Visone Rv for a price on a used engine from a wrecked Rv. much less than what you have been quoted for a rebuild/inframe. Good luck, Don.

MrWizard
In 2012 a inplace rebuild of a Cummins 5.9L for our Safari DP was approximately $12000, all 6 cylinders were honed and new oversized pistons installed,all other parts and work as necessary, the work was performed at Arizona Diesel in , Flagstaff, 5 years later it cost us $15000 when Cummins in Ventura Calif replaced the turbo and repaired less damage, Yes everything has gone up in price, but your quotes seem outrageous ,
Try an independent shop
DPs are great until the engine breaks, 7 years ago i switched , i went back to owning a Gasser
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Also, folks need some context. Either to help with the question as mentioned above, or out of curiosity to keep their interestโ€ฆ.
When you post something strange or shocking (like a blown engine that should outlast every owner of the RV, forever), people are interested.
If you said you got a flat (unless it was on trailer tires, folks get all emotional about trailer tires hereโ€ฆ.) and asked how to the get it, no one would care about the back story. Itโ€™s not important or interesting, likely.
Hope this helps you with your communication so we can help you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deholdt wrote:
I can email the quote to anyone who is willing to help. Iโ€™m not a mechanic and have no problem paying people for their work. I just donโ€™t want to be taken advantage of.

It would be very helpful if you shared what happened if you want meaningful input on whether you need a new engine or not. 2 simple statements โ€œ I ran it a little hotโ€ and โ€œI can send the quoteโ€ tell virtually nothing. Not sure if you even read the responses to your first post, but hereโ€™s how forums should workโ€ฆ.
Someone asks question, should try to provide as much context as possible (you didnโ€™t).
Answers come in. Often times asking more questions. (This happened ). You provide more info based on those questions or observations to help the answers be more specific or correct. (You didnโ€™t.)
In the game of Q&A, youโ€™re up. Itโ€™s your turn.

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles are on the engine?
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, there's so little information given here that it's impossible to even guess what happened.

Some general information. In a water cooled engine with a pressurized cooling system running the proper 50/50% water/coolant mix, 230F is not even boiling over. Yes, it's on the high side of normal, but a turbocharged properly maintained heavy duty diesel truck engine should be able to take that without spitting out parts. (if that happened)

So, . . . . what really happened? Was this engine properly maintained, or was it run low on oil/coolant, modified, or, . . . something else?

Chum lee

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
So you are trusting a computer to tell you that you need a new engine?
230 degrees should not hurt the engine beyond repair.
Did it shut down by itself, or did you shut it off?
You might just have a bad temp sender.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Friend here says if core motor can be rebuilt a reman motor would be between 30, 40 thousand in a motor home. Cheaper in a truck.

deholdt
Explorer
Explorer
I can email the quote to anyone who is willing to help. Iโ€™m not a mechanic and have no problem paying people for their work. I just donโ€™t want to be taken advantage of.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ll put more in here later as my friend owns a shop that does this work all the time. But for now another friend 2 years ago cut a hole in his oil pan and ran it till it locked up. 1000+miles from home. Towing, reman engine, etc was $32,000. Iโ€™ll see what my friend here is charging these days tomorrow. Hope this helps.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
deholdt wrote:
Apparently I ran it for 30 minutes above 230 degrees. I watch the gauge and never saw it. And I stopped as soon as the stop engine light came on. But itโ€™s hard to argue with the computer.

The running for 30 minute's over 230 degrees is not a big deal, Cummins operating temp is 180 to 210, but will go more in a long mountain pull, if this engine is running good & not using oil...sounds to me like you have a shop that wants to sell you something you don't need...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Ok, so it overheated.
What happened and whatโ€™s wrong with it?
Assuming it seized up and got brought in behind a wrecker? No, you said YOU shut it down when the light came on. Thatโ€™s a good thing.
Did it dump the coolant?
Be an advocate for yourself here and understand your issue at least in basic terms or youโ€™ll be even more at the mercy of every place you take it.

deholdt
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently I ran it for 30 minutes above 230 degrees. I watch the gauge and never saw it. And I stopped as soon as the stop engine light came on. But itโ€™s hard to argue with the computer.