cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 allegro open road 32sa

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
is there anyone out there who owns a Tiffin Allegro 32sa? If so, how is the engine power? I notice that it is on a 24000 lb chassis but has the same engine as the 31sa which is a 22000 lb chassis.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA
18 REPLIES 18

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Winnipeg wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:
Thought I read that Ford didn't put the three valve engine in MH's. Hmmm, where did I read that?

Charles

For some reason, they put a 3-valve / 305hp in the Class C and Class B motorhomes. They put a 4-valve / 365hp (revised to 320hp) in the Class A chassis.

Ford doesn't put the V10 in any pickup trucks anymore, so it is curious why they continue to make two versions for such a small market. Maybe they have warehouses full of 3-valve heads in stock.

Wrong its the 2 valve in the cutaway van chassis, class B or C and 3 valve for the class A, Ford did not make the V-10 with 4 valves.

And for the OPer the 3 valve V-10 with the Banks Power Pack and 5 Star Tuning you will have lots of HP and Torque to climb any hill on the roads with ease and speed.

Sorry...I am sure you are correct about number of valves. Maybe you missed my point that it is curious that Ford makes two different engines for such a small market.

As for "lots of HP and Torque to climb..." Are you serious? Have you been to (for example) Santa Fe, NM in your MH? Please try some serious mountain grades and then check back with a revised opinion.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
From the Ford website:

Engine Specifications
E-350 / E-450
Engine type 6.8L Tritonยฎ 2V V10
Engine electronics EEC-V computer
Displacement 415 CID
Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 305@4,250
Torque (lb.-ft. @rpm) 420@3,250
Compression ratio 9.06:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 3.55x4.16
Main bearings 6-bearing
Valvetrain SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder
Valve lifters Hydraulic roller finger
Fuel delivery Sequential multiport electronic fuel injection (SEFI)
Electronic throttle control (ETC) Std
Engine oil cooler Std
Exhaust Stainless steel
Transmission type TorqShiftยฎ 6-speed automatic with overdrive and tow/haul mode
Engine block material Cast iron
Cylinder head material Aluminum
F-53 / F-59
Engine type 6.8L Tritonยฎ 3 Valve V10
Engine electronics EEC-V computer
Displacement 415 CID
Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 320 @ 4000
Torque (lb.-ft. @rpm) 460 @ 3000
Compression ratio 9.2:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 3.55x4.16
Main bearings 6-bearing
Valve lifters Hydraulic roller finger
Fuel delivery Sequential electronic fuel injection (SEFI)
Electronic throttle control (ETC) Std
Engine oil cooler Std
Recommended fuel Unleaded regular
Exhaust Stainless steel
Transmission type TorqShiftยฎ 6-speed automatic overdrive with Tow/Haul Mode
Engine block material Cast iron
Cylinder head material Aluminum
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:
Thought I read that Ford didn't put the three valve engine in MH's. Hmmm, where did I read that?

Charles

For some reason, they put a 3-valve / 305hp in the Class C and Class B motorhomes. They put a 4-valve / 365hp (revised to 320hp) in the Class A chassis.

Ford doesn't put the V10 in any pickup trucks anymore, so it is curious why they continue to make two versions for such a small market. Maybe they have warehouses full of 3-valve heads in stock.

Wrong its the 2 valve in the cutaway van chassis, class B or C and 3 valve for the class A, Ford did not make the V-10 with 4 valves.

And for the OPer the 3 valve V-10 with the Banks Power Pack and 5 Star Tuning you will have lots of HP and Torque to climb any hill on the roads with ease and speed.

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:

Charles

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
fbconsults wrote:
Beginning in 2016, Ford detuned the V-10 from 265 hp to 220 hp.

Actually, I think they de-rated it, not de-tuned. No physical changes, just changes on how to measure HP.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
fbconsuits if your V-10 only has 220 HP I can see why you have to down shift. Check your numbers.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

fbconsults1
Explorer
Explorer
Beginning in 2016, Ford detuned the V-10 from 265 hp to 220 hp. This was done because of epa regs. It maintained the same torque, and added the 6 speed trans. To get the most out of the engine on hills/mountains, at the first indication of a significant climb, shift into fourth gear. As you learn when to shift down and how much accelerator to use, you can climb just about anything. In fact, I pass diesel pushers going up steep hills frequently.

Happy Trails, Forrest

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
2016 32 SA. There is no problem with power. It climbs with ease and goes faster on the level than I care to go.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those toys look fun!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
timmac wrote:
The Ford 3 valve V-10 will pull up to 30,000 lbs, my total weight with stacker trailer is 26,500 lbs and I went over the Rockies on I-70 with ease.

However I do have the full Power Pack Banks system and 5 Star Tuning.

. How much does your combined tow weigh? Did you have to reinforce the tow hitch?

26,500 lbs combined weight, motorhome and stacker trailer, yes my hitch and back frame on motorhome has been reinforced, I also have air bags, however I do keep Jeep on trailer towards the back and this keeps my hitch ball weight at 600 lbs.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
timmac wrote:
The Ford 3 valve V-10 will pull up to 30,000 lbs, my total weight with stacker trailer is 26,500 lbs and I went over the Rockies on I-70 with ease.

However I do have the full Power Pack Banks system and 5 Star Tuning.

. How much does your combined tow weigh? Did you have to reinforce the tow hitch?

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
2016-6 speed Winnebago 38q. 26,000 lbs. plenty of power. Towed a 2004 Grand Cherokee just fine. You are limited to 5000 on hitch. I usually just tow a Smart Car. I love it and easy to tow. Have both 2009 and 2016. The newer Grands are heavier so check. 45-50 mph on 6% grade-easy.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
the trippers wrote:
Ed Gee,
Curious, what have you noticed your speed on an incline? We tow a jeep grand cherokee.

Really depends on the grade of the incline. I'd say I do about 40mph on a 6-7 % grade. .... faster on lesser grades.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad