Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for the inexperienced

judyj1023
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5230

I am, for the first time going south for the winter. I need to buy a small rv, Class b or b+. I have found a 2002 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5230 for just under 20K, 37k miles. It looks very nice, needs tires in the near future. Anyone know of any major issues with this rv. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a small rv for one? Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm.Yep.We bring and use bottled water for consumption and use high grade filtration system for all water: city source or from tank.Any tank or city source water for consumption is always BOILED first. Beer is always reliable as I learned in Africa.

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, and don't forget about that untested water your filling your tanks with at the campground.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna has a good point. Many RVers have older units but have kept them up well and have reliable Rvs. Cheaper is not necessarily a better deal. A 5 or 6 year old unit should be reasonable? Personally, as one who has lived in 30 countries and moved 42 times--I distrust public facilities mainly due to unseen hygenic issues. I spent 3 weeks in a hospital with a neuro/eye-related virus from a dirty CG facility and another 3 months recovering. I prefer a small toilet/shower in a B to almost any CG alternatives. If this sounds odd, then relive my 40 years in places like Iraq, Ethiopia,The Philippines,European locations, the Caribbean, Central AMerica, Asia(14 years) and so on, with the exception of Japan(8 years) which was incredibly clean, ryokan,hotel etc wise.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
My RVan is pretty small 10' x 6'. I dont mind such a small living space. I sit outside with my dogs in the X-pen and read or I can angle my TV and watch from outside. I go for walks. I have not run into a bad outdoor bug problem so far.
I do have a porta potty but no shower. I dont mind using CG showers. I found a CG in Key Largo that is a couple blocks from a Publix, Kmart and a very nice restaurant. When my DH is with me we put a bike on the hitch mount bike rack. He used it to get to scuba school and other places.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
JudyJ1023
I dont know if the 02 Gulfstream is a good buy. It depends on the overall condition not only of the vehicle itself but the internal coach equipment:ie stove, aircon,generator and so on. You would definitely need 4 new tires as they would be too old and unreliable even if they have lots of tread. The comment re commuting from RV park is highly relevant and it can be costly if you are renting a lot. If only occasionally not so much so. We have stayed for up to 2 weeks so far in our PW Plateau TS without a problem. We have a decent sized shower/toilet enclosure which we always use. For a "down south for the winter" trip you need facilities ie a bathroom especially unless you want to meander over to whatever facilities you can find on the site. I would recommend a newer B Class, perhaps a Pleasure-way Excel TS or TD or a similar one in Leisure Travel Vans, Roadtrek or GreatWestVans. The diesels, like we have, are costlier although cheaper to run. But a good condition PW Excel WITH AWNING and generator would be comfortable. One tends to be outside and not incarcerating oneself inside the vehicle but you need some/some room to move around. There are screen rooms you can add to an awning to expand your living space.The Florida rooms are available but can be pricey. Above all, if you can use your RV to go shopping, like we do, or go visiting, like we do, then you are not tied down nor in need of a tow vehicle or reliant on rentals. Good luck and happy rving. We go South ie Stateside from Canada with either a combination of resorts and rv parks or just to an RV Resort.
AL

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice here but I suggest to get what you can pay in cash and not go into debt. Best wishes,
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
judyj1023 wrote:
I am, for the first time going south for the winter. I need to buy a small rv, Class b or b+. I have found a 2002 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5230 for just under 20K, 37k miles. It looks very nice, needs tires in the near future. Anyone know of any major issues with this rv. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a small rv for one? Thanks

I am guessing from your username you are a woman. Me too. I am driving south to Florida from Wisconsin for the second time to stay a month or or so. I drive alone (well with 3 dogs) in winter as my husband still works. I got a conversion van that I re-purposed into an RV. I bought my 1992 GMC van in 2011. I do have a very good mechanic, a hellacious alarm system and AAA insurance (just in case). My mechanic understands my need for dependability, but I also gave him a complete checklist and he goes over my van with a fine tooth comb. So far it has not left me by the side of the road. I dont have the "inside stuff" that a typical b or c has, but I do have an RV place that checks my roof mounted heater/AC. No matter what you get, you need a dependable mechanic for the van part which is most important, and an RV place that will check out all equipment and make sure they all are functional and/or suggest replacement. I would have those checks done before handing over the money for a used RV.
I need "little" since I park my RVAn right outside my house and the city does not allow people to curb park RVs. But I guess I would look for one of those little Roadtrek or Pleasureway RVs if I could park it in the city. They have the generator on board and a bathroom not to mention more room. Everyone I've met love their Treks or PWs.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I googled BT Cruiser because I'm not familiar with them, although my first RV was Class B Roadtrek. The Cruiser looks more like my current 'C' than my previous 'B'. I'm impressed. Very roomy. I do have one question. If you intend to spend the winter in Florida, do you plan on moving around a lot? If you stay in just one CG, you'll need another vehicle to get around or hook/unhook utilities from the Cruiser to shop, sightsee, etc. If you intend to move around, you can do your shopping and sightseeing while you're moving.
You can always rent a car from Enterprise. They pick up and deliver, and I imagine there are locations all over Florida - usually near airports.
Sounds like an adventure!
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd rather see you get something newer. I would not buy a unit more than five years old.

There are small class C units that would be cheaper than a B or B+.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
judyj1023 wrote:

The BT Cruiser is a small Class C, and there are several owners in the C forum. I have asked Admin to move this over there for you.

The BT Cruiser will give you more room, bigger shower, than a B, but you will give up better gas mileage, and easier parking. Really depends on the type of camping you plan on doing.

thejsofa
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek 170 is a well liked unit and just about 17'long.Don't know what they sell for used but all the Canadian designs, Leisure Travel Van, Road trek, Pleasure Way and Great West Vans all fit the category and were originally built very well. Born Free in the small C category is highly regarded but hard to find used at a good price.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
At that age, it isn't the vehicle, it is the vehicle's condition. There is a lot to be checked out, be it electrical, plumbing, generator, engine, transmission, air conditioning, heater, etc.

I'd see about getting both a mechanic, and a RV expert to look at it just to be safe.

37k miles sounds decent, but I worry about neglect, especially with the generator. I'm almost certain the generator might need a new carb for starters if it wasn't run on an ongoing basis, or the genset fogged for long term storage.