cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGM Battery recommendation

JRRNeiklot
Explorer
Explorer
I need new batteries. They must be AGM because they will be located inside my van. I need around 200 amp hours. I'm considering this 12 volt battery for $503: crown-agm-12crv8d-12v-240-ah
Will this battery be ok or should I try and find two 6v batteries? I'm finding it hard to find decent 6 volt agms for a reasonable price locally.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
AGMs are Valve Regulated Lead Acid(VRLA).

You can call that sealed. I have two AGMs on their side. They are sealed in the sense that they don't spill as a Flooded Lead Acid(FLA) would. There is no free liquid in an AGM. All liquid is Absorbed into the Glass Mats(AGM).

HTH;
John

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Get a pair of Trojan T105-AGM batteries.

FYI, AGM batteries are NOT sealed ! If charged or discharged incorrectly they will vent.

I was going to say that. They are sealed, but they have pop-off valves that will vent if internal pressure builds up. They still should be vented out of the passenger compartment. My BMW just has a little tube about the size of a soda straw.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Get a pair of Trojan T105-AGM batteries.

FYI, AGM batteries are NOT sealed ! If charged or discharged incorrectly they will vent.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the Lifeline.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
There is no magic with 6v AGM batteries like the flooded style. Get what fits best to obtain the needed 200+ amp hours. I am sure Crown is fine although I have used and recommend Lifeline brand.

JRRNeiklot
Explorer
Explorer
Well, no, but I can get the Green Bay Packers to load it. Or if they are not available, my nephew can help. He's 6'5" and young.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be great, but are you aware of it’s large size and weight? Can you manage a 162 pound battery?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Price seems high. WindyNation's AMGs (100 ah) are $186.00 each.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad