Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I out of my depth?

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All
I'm new to this site and the RV world. I've gotten a wealth of info here.
I've been looking into an RV for about 2 yrs. I came close to a minnie winnie class c last year owned by a close family friend. It was well maintained and was gone thru Totally. It had high miles and no genset & I thought $6800 for a friend was too much.
It sold & I kept looking.

Ok here's the deal. Found 1 I could afford bigger than I wanted but had it all.
1990 34' Winnebago Superchief on Ford Chassis. Seller wanted $3000 talked him down to $2000
Said if you drive it to my house and it makes it you got a deal.
The GOOD....
This was $72k new (have the sticker & all paperwork in binder)
Has 2 - Colman Mach 3 15,000btu A/C's working!
Basically all the options you could imagine minus any leveling kits. Tow pkg w/brake control, central Vac, remote spotlight. Air horns, full bath (not passthru) eve has a functioning washer & dryer in there. Also has onan emerald 3 genset with less than 700hrs. Runs 6500 watt. With 2 remote start locations. The Ford 460 had 65k and has the expected manifold leak but runs pretty good. Fridge is in crappy shape but is working. Not sure about furnace or HW heater as of yet

The bad. God it's ugly as could be. I'll make the inside look lovely but there is a great deal of delam! Not so much from roof but more from the seam along the entire side of coach. Think water wicked up the luan. Structurally it solid all around. The bumper corners are broken & or missing. Tires are crap. The kwikee stairs look as if they were torched/cut out? The fridge went was NOT there so some good water rot behind fridge. The big awning was coming away from coach so I removed. I can go on and on but what I wanted to know if I made a good call or did I get over my head here?! I can fix ANYTHING and the beast is looking better everyday
Anyone that could give my opinions, thoughts? I'll take it well
I just figured with that Genny and the tons of options figured it was a good deal
Thanks for reading all this LOL
Ryan
84 REPLIES 84

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
The aged once white now yellow A/C covers are back to white thanks to Krylon Fusion for plastic

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Installed. The hard part was getting the old caulk off. Was like petrified 100 year old bubblegum

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we have a fatality. I expected this LOL
Took the plywood up under dinette seat
it's all been cleaned up

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Oh No!!!!!! Hahahaha thank God it's not that bad

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I had not seen the pictures, but I think you got a good deal. I can tell you know how to fix things so that is a big plus. Good job on the roof vents and the caulking.

Good luck on getting every thing working so that you can go out this spring and enjoy camping. They are a lot of fun.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
Pogoil wrote:
Seal up the leaks fix up the inside and enjoy the heck out of it.
De lamination is an eyesore, do not look at it.

You will have a great time using it.

Pogoil.

I agree. I think you got a good deal overall. After reading about it, I was surprised at the pictures. Fix it and enjoy.

Fred

X2 I thought it was going to look something like this

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil wrote:

Pogoil.

I agree. I think you got a good deal overall. After reading about it, I was surprised at the pictures. Fix it and enjoy.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer

Pogoil.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like it needs a lot of work to get it usable again. You can save a lot of money by doing the labor yourself, but still there are parts to buy and for that year of coach it might be hard to find some of the parts. Delamination is not good news at all. Naturally what you paid is not much either, but still I personally wouldn't have bought it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, I don't think I would want it at any price. The delam sounds really bad and eventually this can compromise the structure and maybe not even safe. Maybe you can do all the work?? but it scares me.
Jayco-noslide

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start a new thread..this one is like beating a dead horse...:)....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a coach battery issue. Not charging. Should I start a new thread on this or just state the situation and see if anyone jumps in?

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a coach on our last trip that was so worn, so dilapidated, it looked like a boomerang on wheels - probably a foot of drop from the roof midpoint to the back end. It was still being used and (most likely) enjoyed.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Understood Tom. Let's Say I'm going to pretty it up as much as I can. Functionally operational safe and dependable as much as possible. "Restoration" is not not the correct term as you said that would be too much to handle and not worth it. But I can still make it look luxurious inside and mechanically sound with little cost. But a LOT of hard work