cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anyone have this happen?

ander
Explorer
Explorer
so im kicking back at home and we hear a strange noise... kind of a soft explosion/bang like sound.

i peek out back, shed isnt on fire (gas can propane bottles etc out there)...rv isnt on fire ( had it plugged in charging batteries while solar pannels off for work. propane tank full in that too.

hmm..go out later and do full walk around and find this
24 REPLIES 24

ander
Explorer
Explorer
im going to put the continental kit back on with the new spare..im guessing the metal ring will do a better job of keeping the elements off..

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Sears Roadhandler tire mounted on the outside on a van. Well used spare tire.
I noticed the top, being in the sun all the time, was starting to develop a bulge.
One day, Bang. Was not unexpected.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
ander wrote:
so im kicking back at home and we hear a strange noise... kind of a soft explosion/bang like sound.

i peek out back, shed isnt on fire (gas can propane bottles etc out there)...rv isnt on fire ( had it plugged in charging batteries while solar pannels off for work. propane tank full in that too.

hmm..go out later and do full walk around and find this
Looks like vandalism to me.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tire either was defective when it was built or was damaged at a time it was on the ground. I had a good steel-belted radial do that from a single hit on a spike that popped up at railway grade crossing.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BTPO1 wrote:
Yes, tires can explode. I have had it happen on my tow dolly, just sitting in my driveway. The tire was fairly new so I attribute it to being a cheaply made tire. The pressure in the tire was normal when this happened. I just figure that with the heat from the sun it increased the pressure so much that the cheap tire couldn't handle it and burst. JMO

Gotta admit it was a learning curve RV'ing in Florida during their killer heat summers when it came to what time of day you should air up your tires.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, tires can explode. I have had it happen on my tow dolly, just sitting in my driveway. The tire was fairly new so I attribute it to being a cheaply made tire. The pressure in the tire was normal when this happened. I just figure that with the heat from the sun it increased the pressure so much that the cheap tire couldn't handle it and burst. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen tires not in motion blow before. It's not that unusual.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
NoVa RT wrote:
Wow. Think maybe I (and others) should take a peek inside the Continental Tire Kit before any trip to make sure something similar didn't happen.

Just thinking the same thing.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Think maybe I (and others) should take a peek inside the Continental Tire Kit before any trip to make sure something similar didn't happen.
2013 RT 190-Popular

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
"Supposedly a couple of years old"
The old rule was replace tires regardless of tread remaining after 6 or 7 years. But my experience has been that some brands are failing sooner than that. I have had two of my four BF Goodrich Commercial load range E tires fail because of tread separation, both with just over 30k miles and 5+ years old. But I must commend Americas Tire for buying back all four tires with 32,000 miles on them and giving me 4 new tires for $206.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care how old that tire is I'd be taking that tire AND your pictures of it covered when it happened back to where you bought it and have them find out WHY that happened.

I know I'd sure want to know how a tire can blow like that sitting.

Boy that's the weirdest thing I've every seen.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
At least it didn't leave you stranded.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

ander
Explorer
Explorer
date code says 0711 but closer look says rot...a few cracks away from blow area.

i havent had to change a tire on one of my own vehicals in probably 15 years..i never think about it.

had the rv almost 2 years and only glanced at it when i took the metal ring cover off when purchaed...i know better now. that tire wasnt even rated to be put on the rv when new...