cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Near PPL want to earn $100?

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 45' coach (I'd prefer not to be specific yet) online at PPL in Houston, and I would offer $100 to anyone reasonably knowledgeable about DP's to give it a visual inspection for me. I don't want to fly out there just to find out it's a dog.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ
17 REPLIES 17

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
All good suggestions Brett, and thank you for volunteering to drive up to look at the coach for me.

We will coordinate offline. Sent you a PM.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Stuart,

There are several issues that could rule out any coach for you:

First of course the easy stuff--floor-plan, basic price range, gas/diesel, etc.

Next step is the stuff hard to find out from a distance: Heavy smoked in smell and you are a non-smoker, heavy pet odors, delam or water damage that does not show up in the photos. And, yes, this is something you can get others to do for you if you are long distance. BUT, you really have to know that they are looking "through your eyes". Just because it passes this "$100" test, does NOT mean you really want the coach.

AFTER all the above, then is time to make an offer "contingent upon inspection satisfactory to buyer to be made by XX date". In most cases the shorter the time frame, the more a seller is willing to hold a coach off the market.

After accepted offer, my strong suggestion is to buy a SW airline ticket and come see the coach.

If all is well, hire someone (or more than one) qualified to check both house and chassis systems.

Will send you a PM.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I have an understanding with PPL. The best thing for me to do here is start at the top of this thread and re-initiate my offer of $100 to have a forum friend stop by and look this coach over for me. Then I can decide on the offer amount and take the next steps, i.e. an offer and a detailed inspection.

I will also post this on IRV2 as Mike recommended above and hopefully between the two, get some valuable feedback as to whether I should continue with this. PM me if any of you are interested.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
StuartT, if you go with the Tiffin, you will have excellent customer service. Everything you mentioned can be fixed, upholstered, etc. (rock chips will happen to all of us over time). Of course the price should reflect that.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
My thinking in not identifying the coach was to simply focus on finding someone to drop in and take a look to see if this unit presents well. PPL marked its condition as 'Excellent', but you never know. I thought adding what it was at this stage would possibly get the post off track and cloud the request. If the look/see was positive, then I would introduce the coach here and drill down on the pros, cons and things to watch for. Maybe that was a foolish approach after reading the posts above.

The unit is a 2007 Tiffin Zephyr 45QSZ. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2007-Zephyr-28149.htm

It does have some issues I am aware of, like some serious stains in the bedroom carpet although they claim the owner had no pets, some small but noticeable rock chips in the front paint, and surface damage to the euro chair and passenger seat, but it also has new Michelins and all the specific features we want, i.e. king bed, stack W/D, dishwasher, etc. I know there will be some additional investment.

Hold the presses!

I just got an email from the salesman at PPL. I had asked for a copy of their earnest money agreement to review. He sent it with the fields filled in, including the price. I am not accepting the published price as my offer so I have to get this resolved before I do anything. Be back as soon as I get this resolved.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Mike & Fran wrote:
Check with PPL, they will do an inspection for you. My brother had it done on his and everything was as they said. I think from $100 to $200 and last time i was there salesmen are not on commission. So no pressure!! Have had work done there and trust them...Good Luck!!!!

NO, PPL does not inspect the whole coach, just the RV systems (and do it well). They do NOT inspect the chassis/engine/transmission.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
StuartT, if by chance that you go to PPL in Houston and don't find 100% of what you are looking for and you get a rental car, go north to Nacogdoches to Motorhomes of Texas (consignment lot). They seem to carry mid to upper end units as we just sold ours there.

What I liked about this place is that they completely detailed our coach inside and out, made a nice short video for customers to see on their website. They keep the units plugged in and do not open the slides until a customer is looking at a unit (no risk of topper damage from storms).

Good luck on your search.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I sure would not trust a business to do an inspection on something they are selling, be a consignment or for themself. Depending on where you live, a return ticket is not all that expensive and it is well worth the money to see for yourself, nothing beat your own judjement. I do agree with an inspection from an independent business, but even then I would be there with them to see the report and the results and see how they proceed, he would tell me, and I would check for myself if I ignore it or if I do not like it, he only give you an opinion on many things.

I once was just about to buy a MH from a consignment. The seller told me the coach was pretty good and told me just a few minor things. I am happy I went to check it out and it only cost me little over 100$ of fuel, well worth. The engine had a problem to be verified, that he told me the owner would pay for, but it also had some bad vibrations which he did not tell me. The generator did not start but the worst is that there was deep rust just about everywhere under the coach and doors.

Going there gave me the oportunity to talk to the owner and see other MH in the lot. I talked to him about other MH he had in the lot. When you ask precise questions about something you see, it is easier to get a true answer. Like for the rust, to him this was no big deal, to me it was a desaster, there was nothing that could be done to restore the rusted parts and body parts.

A few weeks later, I saw a few other MH I was interested in, since he knew what I was looking for, he was telling me straight foward what was wrong, no more bull****. He did not want me to go there one more time and not going out without a MH.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Mike___Fran
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Brez, Sorry you had a bad experience.I guess we were just lucky!!!!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
StuartT wrote:
I am looking at a 45' coach (I'd prefer not to be specific yet) online at PPL in Houston, and I would offer $100 to anyone reasonably knowledgeable about DP's to give it a visual inspection for me. I don't want to fly out there just to find out it's a dog.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Post this over at irv2 there are a few people that live nearby and go there often. I was looking at a coach there and two people ended up looking at it for me so I didn't need to fly out. Here's what they had to say about a coach they listed as very good +

Mike,
To put it bluntly, this poor vehicle has been "rode hard and put up wet" (Texas for "it needs a LOT of work - translated = money) The pictures on PPL's ad do not indicate the true condition.
Leather on the pilot/co-pilot chairs is heavily cracked. Both sofas are badly stained and appear to have been "lived on". Wonder if this was a full timers vehicle? They did have an animal as the chair skirt had been chewed/ripped. Windscreen was cracked from top to bottom in front of the co-pilot. The 3-M coating on the entire front of the vehicle looked terrible and needed removal then repainted $$$. The slide awnings were ripped to the point of replacement needed, not repair. Carpet was stained (probably beyond cleaning). Looked in the engine compartment - couldn't see much for all the dust, dirt, grease and wasp nests. Storage bins were the same. Exterior paint had the "checking" which is known in this era Monaco. Ours has it but not as bad as this vehicle. Tires were a hodge podge from the 2010-11 time frame. good tread and slight cracking.

It was in such bad shape that the maintenance would be VERY suspect but we had no time to find nor inspect the records.

I'm a do it yourself type with a steel barn and concrete floor - Wouldn't even think about this one. If you do, a mechanics inspection and engine/transmission oil analysis should be done before money changes hands.

Stickers indicated a San Antonio vehicle and it was apparent it had never been inside so sun "worn" everywhere.

Sorry to be so negative,

Here is the other

Good to hear XXX had the same opinion. Everyone looks at stuff differently and has different tastes and opinions of what is good and bad. I was very hesitant to call it a POS, but that is the best description one could give for it.

I am with you on the PPL deal. Lots of people rave about them, that is the only reason I went down to look at a couple coaches. To me, that is the absolute worst place you could take your coach to sell. They dont care about the coaches, they just sit out in the weather and get hammered. They don't clean them or do anything to them to take care of them. We had some crazy high winds come through recently, they did not take the slides in on any of those coaches, several awning were ripped and torn up as a result.
..........................................................................................................................................

The salesman told me this coach was in great condition and would buy it himself. He explained to me they work on salery and no commission so he could say that. I'm glad I found someone to look at it real quick for me before I flew from ct to tx.?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mike___Fran
Explorer
Explorer
Check with PPL, they will do an inspection for you. My brother had it done on his and everything was as they said. I think from $100 to $200 and last time i was there salesmen are not on commission. So no pressure!! Have had work done there and trust them...Good Luck!!!!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, glad you are looking at something different than your previous posts. Friend had too many problems with theirs and traded it on a EXE which they like a LOT.
I agree with the above... let us know as their is a lot of good free advice and a little not so good.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody is going to steal your coach out from under you. You would be better off posting the exact model and getting input from other owners with similar units and finding the forum where they all hang out and trade stories.

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
I probably should post that I like the professional inspection idea, which I didn't know about before this, and would prefer to see if I can schedule them before doing the $100 visual thing. So let me table that offer for right now. Thanks.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ