cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are Thor's getting better?

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
When we were shopping for a new RV a few years ago, the Thor models did not have a very good reputation. I don't want to write them off this time, based on historical input. Are the newer ones any better?
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)
16 REPLIES 16

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
Well, if you go the simple math route, Thor has close to 50% of the RV market and Forest River (which most folks never even consider) has 30+%. So it makes sense that you'd hear or read more "stuff"(complaints) about Thor.

Exactly.....and if you look at the Forest River boards you'll find that their Forester and Sunseeker class C's and FR3 or Georgetown class A's can be far from a peach in the build quality basket. Even the top of the line Berkshire has some horror stories surrounding it. That site however is biased with the Forest River Kool Aid guzzlers whose rig can be falling apart, but they'll still sing the Forest River company song till the cows come home. You also have the faithful who attend the FR sponsored rally in Goshen every August to get their rigs repaired gratis for defects they never should of left the factory with.

Well dang if I could get my Rig fixed Gratis I'd be singing whatever tune you want me to.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
Well, if you go the simple math route, Thor has close to 50% of the RV market and Forest River (which most folks never even consider) has 30+%. So it makes sense that you'd hear or read more "stuff"(complaints) about Thor.

Exactly.....and if you look at the Forest River boards you'll find that their Forester and Sunseeker class C's and FR3 or Georgetown class A's can be far from a peach in the build quality basket. Even the top of the line Berkshire has some horror stories surrounding it. That site however is biased with the Forest River Kool Aid guzzlers whose rig can be falling apart, but they'll still sing the Forest River company song till the cows come home. You also have the faithful who attend the FR sponsored rally in Goshen every August to get their rigs repaired gratis for defects they never should of left the factory with.

Sounds like Tiffin :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chainwright wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
burgess001 wrote:
When we were shopping for a new RV a few years ago, the Thor models did not have a very good reputation. I don't want to write them off this time, based on historical input. Are the newer ones any better?

Thor Industries owns 17 different companies and Thor is one of them, with their gasser MH's being base line and their top DP being a lot better. If one was to be buying newer or new and money wasn't an object, They'd do better with looking at their Entegra line of coaches, with the top model being a Cornerstone and probably with an MSRP of around 3/4 mil. They have now offered a gasser as well, but have yet to look at one. Thing is about gassers, these days, it's all about the house with most all being built on a Ford chassis and with next to no additions to it.
For me and for that kind of money and since we always buy used, I could get a nice used one in the top 3.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2013 Thor and recently looked at the current version of the same model. Most of the design/hardware issues that I have had have been improved on the current model. I was rather impressed. It is really hard to say about the labor but I really haven't had that many issues with things put together poorly. Even though their market share has increased since I bought mine I haven't seen as many complaints here as I did 5 years ago.

I was able to compare mine somewhat with very similar Forest River and Winnebago models and would agree that those were better built but they cost quite a bit more too. There were some things that I still like better about the Thor even ignoring the price.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm certainly not well-versed in Thor's products. I have seriously looked at the ACE units several years ago and was not impressed when compared with comparable units by other manufacturers. It just didn't seem well-built to me. I suspect, though, that if you look hard enough for complaints on most any product, you'll find it in today's inter-web world. I would consider how many Thor units are on the road and their owners are too busy to stop having fun to post a complaint, vs. those who have trouble and immediately want to report it. Again, not saying that there are or are not inherent problems with the Thor brand of products......just saying that if you look for something long enough, you'll find it!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had some issues with our Thor product but my dealings with Thor customer service have been very good. I would base my decision on floorplan not manufacturer.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
I like Thor. I have good service from Thor and also our dealer.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
NO Not at All

X2... Worked at a dealer that carried Thor rv's... There's a reason they are cheaper than comparable rv's of the same model.... " you get what you pay for"
Proud father of a US Marine

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
I was actually looking at the Sprinter based units. Maybe the little "crossovers" or whatever they call them. The 25 to 26 foot units. I like the Coachman Prism 2200LE, and the Winnebago Via. Thor has some counterparts. Not sure I trust the Thor brand yet?
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Entegra is also a Thor product . . . Expensive paint job
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our new Fleetwood just over a month ago. We've owned a couple Thor platforms in the past with terrible results. They look great and have all the fancy after market stuff. The problem is their fit and build. Worse of anything we've owned. We vowed never again.

Our salesman encouraged us to look and a Thor product while we were shopping recently. I told him if it was a Thor ... Forget it. I was looking at Tiffin Allegro bus and Fleetwood 44H LXE. The reason he suggested the Thor was I was hoping for a side radiator. It wasn't the deal killer. Looked at that Thor Tuscany ... It took 2 minutes and I walked out and back to the Fleetwood.

" If " you're interested in that, seriously look at the Discovery LXE 44H. It has the 450 hspwr and is buildt on the same chassis as the American Coach line with independant front suspension and tag axle.

Had this coach a month and honestly it's more than I imagined. Great coach.

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a 2018 Tuscany two weeks ago, Freightliner chassis with Cummins 450 and MH3000 6-speed. Everything looked like near top tier components as one would expect for the MSRP that they posted. A few items such as a side radiator, full length auto awnings, HWH levelers,
Maytag stack washer and dryer, LG TVs, etc. all seemed like quality items to me.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox