cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Additions / Modifications, What Did You Do ?

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
What are some of your best additions or modifications to your coach....cheap and expensive.

Mine, so far..
Cheapest- New vinyl inserts in all 1" channels.
Most Costly- Koni FSD shocks.....almost unbelievable difference.
20 REPLIES 20

MacZulu
Explorer
Explorer
I have added a whole list of stuff since buying our rv in march. but the most useful add ons would be the 2 swing down feet on the step for stability and the 10' propane hose and adapter to hook up our outdoor camp stove to the rv propane tank

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
The absolute best mod was the eternabond taping I did on the roof seams, in the overcab lights, and along the back seams. Didn't do the front and should have.
I did the LED lights, added a 12 volt outlet in the kitchen area, put in a larger pressure tank for the water pump so it comes on less frequently, installed 12 volt seat heaters and insulated the black and grey water tanks. I have motorcycle handle heaters for the valves but haven't installed them yet.
I put the 12 volt tv in our rig on an arm so we can store it in the cabinet locked down with a velcro strip for travel. Added a digital TV antenna when our old one broke.
I really like the vent covers--we put a smoke colored one on the overhead bed vent and white on the bathroom vent. Really helps in heavy winds and don't have to close the vents when we are traveling. This was also the result of a broken vent cover due to wind.
I replaced the kitchen and bath faucets with better quality regular home faucets although I had to add holes to the kitchen faucet aerator to get it to flow well with the water pump. Put in the Oxygenics showerhead with a button turn off that works like a charm.
Added a wired back up camera with a license plate cam. Use it occasionally but it is nice to have when needed.
I put "skid wheels" on the back of the RV--twice as I lost them once. They were especially good for backroads in Arizona to prevent damage to the steps and undercarriage.
I added some DC meters for battery voltage checks but don't use them much now that we do less boondocking.
I really liked the 30 amp outdoor outlet that I installed but we have moved since then!
If pics are worth a 1000 words--here are some pics of these mods.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I love my custom leaf springs.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Badlands
Explorer
Explorer
HWI automatic leveling system, theater seating/recliners, 3rd television, Sirius XM radio, Fantastic fan all-weather cover, Blue Ox tow bars, 5-Star Tuner, and those are the more major items.
Badlands

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced interior lights with LEDs. Installed exterior remote controlled LED rope light the length of the rig. Installed vinyl flooring in the walkway and kitchen areas. Was all carpet. Added a low profile DVD player for the kids bunk TV.

Upcoming projects - upgrade house battery to twin 6v Trojans.
Install bike rack
Install 200 - 400wt solar.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a list of my MH modifications.
Max-Air vent covers
Bathroom fluorescent light added
Bathroom lights and fan put on switches
Bedroom ceiling light switch
Added a switch for the light at the head of the bed.
Changed the cabover space to a storage area.
Added a rear view camera.
Kitchen faucett replaced.
Added 120 v outlets near floor in the dinette and bedroom.
Made a storage area under sofa.
Made a kitchen counter shelf extension.
Added a trickle charger for chassis battery.
Added a splash guard between sink and dinette.
Added a Tornado.
Carpeted the entry steps.
Added convex mirrors.
Shower light added.
Electronic sparker added to stove.
Changed all interior lights to LED.
Replaced CRT TV with new TV.
12vdc voltmeter and ammeter.
115vac volt and amp meter (combo).
Installed new converter and replaced #8 converter to battery wire with #4 AWG.
Added a toaster shelf.
Refrigerator wireless remote on/off switch.
Added a sliding battery tray.
Oxygenics shower head.
Made a storage drawer under the dinette seat.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Tireman Valve stem kit
Replaced IOTA Converter/Charger with PD9245c
Replaced tri-sliding glass shower door with shower curtain
Added thermal curtain between cab and house
Added shelves to existing cabinets throughout camper
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
New Queen Mattress for walk-around bed. Bought a quality foam mattress. Opened one end, turned it back, cut 5" of foam off (big Chef's Knife named DEXTER. Folded under and sewed back. That's the Head of the Mattress. End you see looks normal.

Replaced OEM Front Axle, Radius Arms and Brakes (the 1992-2007 style) with complete 2012 Axle from a 4x4 conversion shop. This gave me all new ball joints and bushings, plus improved Radius Arms. BUT the BIG improvement is the larger 2008-current year BRAKES!!! This upgrade is VERY VERY worth doing!

Hellwig Sway Bars Front and Rear. Huge improvement on the road and the campsite. Much steadier moving or parked! Should be Standard!

Upgraded TV to LED/DTV

MaXXair Vent Covers - Should be Standard!

Dually Valves on Rear, Metal Valves on Front - Should be Standard!

Tiger Trak rear track bar

Changed Analog Furnace T'Stat to Digital (have non-ducted A/C that has no wall thermostat.

Converted OEM Battery Box to Sliding Drawer - Should be Standard!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wendyly
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing was probably adding the Hellwig sway bar, but I'm also really fond of the screen door grab bar and the Oxygenics shower head.
2014 Forest River Solera 24R

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
After purchase in 2012 the following mods/updates on our 2004 R-Vision 213, most were done before our 2013 Alaska trip.
  • Seven new tires
  • Power management system
  • Hott Rod AC water heater conversion
  • LP gas quick disconnect and a convection heater
  • Hitch mounted aluminum storage box/trunk
  • Black tank flush (2015)
  • LED TV and enclosed old CRT TV mounting area for more storage
  • 800 watt inverter
  • Winegard Rayzor Antenna (2015)
  • TPMS our Phaeton's old Pressure Pro system (2013) New TST TPMS (2015)
  • 4 ft vertical plastic fence post attached to the side of ladder for 15' sewer hose storage
  • Modified sewer hose storage under floor from hatch with round tube to plastic fence post so can store hose with fittings
  • Changed from one flooded cell 12 v battery to a pair of 6v AGM in a new battery rack
  • Heng Vortex Fan
  • Got rid of the noisy wheel simulators for OEM Chevrolet dually hub caps (2015) and beauty rings (2016)
  • Sirius Radio dock and antenna
  • Grill screen mesh cover
  • Hood mounted wind & bug deflector
  • Changed squeaky wall mount dinette table to floor pedestal mount (2016)
  • Maxx Air vent covers
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I have only done pretty minor stuff so far but they have all been helpful.

1. Replaced tube lights with LED fixtures throughout the RV. This was my biggest project to date as I had to re-wire 18 fixtures.
2. Added a handle to help shut the screen door. Simple and cheap but very effective, especially with kids going in and out.
3. Added vent covers on the roof.
4. Added one of those fabric shoe pocket/racks that hang over a closet door (cut in half so it fits) by the entrance for stuff we always need like flash lights, keys, wallet, and and the like.
5. Added an awning because mine didn't come with one.
6. Mounted a paper towel rack and tissue rack.
7. Rear bike mount.
8. Just added two new front tires thanks to a pile of large nails that magically appeared. Good times.
9. Replaced a broken generator switch thanks to help I got here.
10. Replaced a broken mirror arm with help I also got here.
11. Oxygenics shower head.
12. New digital radio. Best $100 bucks I have spent on the RV so far.

Next up will be replacing the thermostat with a basic digital one I purchased. I would also like to add a fantastic fan or the like.

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
1. Solar Number one best mod. Should be standard.
2.More amp hour batteries.
3.Dually valves check air in 5 minutes rather the half an hour and the piece of mind.
4.Inverter who watches tv with a genny running
5.Epdm coating on the roof why let it leak when you can renew the roof
6.Vinyl hardwood by far the biggest bang for buck rvs with carpet disgust me
7.Memory foam topper who is in charge of rv mattresses they should be fired.
8.Vertical bike rack and paddleboard carrier and kitesurf carrier diy rear hitch mount.
9. New blinds
10. Major maintenance front to rear using SFR lubricants all around. And new rubber front to rear including tires.
11. Scan gauge installed

Next up will be tpms

All of this is priceless and all of this is recommended by reading countless hours of this forum my hats off to all of you here.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:
Want to see about 250+ pages of mods? Check out the Cool Mods sticky in the Travel Trailers forum and another big list in the General RVing Issues forum look for Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products and Gizmos. A couple of weeks worth of reading but lots of great mods.

๐Ÿ˜‰

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Dually valves already on order. When I bought it (2008 E450, 24,000 miles) Camping World installed 6 new tires and I couldn't believe that it has rubber valve stems. Not even the high pressure rubber neither. Ugh