cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best all season class B with mondo solar

HappyDoodle
Explorer
Explorer
I intend to live in a class B in California but I have family in Massachusetts, so I am searching for my best all season options

I can add heat to the Coachmen Crossfit's gray tank and make it 4 season but the solar is limited

The Winnebago Paseo has good solar and is close enough to 4 season to make it work but the interior is ugly

The Roadtrek Zion has great solar but they haven't answered my emails about all season use, so they may be hopeless, but since almost everyone here knows more than me (newbie) I figured I would ask

The Travato 59KL is a little too small to live in

Any other options?
Thank you

p.s. Happy Doodle is a fake name once used by Speed Racer
3 REPLIES 3

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
HappyDoodle wrote:
I intend to live in a class B in California but I have family in Massachusetts, so I am searching for my best all season options

I would not want to live through a New England winter in ANY RV !

Except maybe if I built my own. 2" rigid foam walls, 2" rigid foam floor, and 4" rigid foam roof. All plumbing including fresh, gray and black water tanks would have to be within that envelope (i.e. a basement). Even then you will be burning a lot of propane !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you want small, go to a 24 foot class C. With the money you save you can trick it out with much bigger battery bank, large inverter, and lots of solar.

For 4 seasons use you do NOT want a slide. Here is what I'd consider:

http://www.lazydaze.com/index2.htm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Your going to find almost all RV's to be very difficult to full time in when you are dealing with New England winter type of cold.
Days are short, many areas are heavily shaded, all limiting your solar charge times.
There are folks that use them, but for the most part, trying to keep water tanks/pipes thawed, becomes too much. If you can perform all water related ablutions in your relatives homes, it's possible, but in something the size of a B your going to find it tough. Even safely heating it is difficult because while its a small space, they dont tend to be that well insulated and if you use something like a Camco Wave to ease the propane consumption, you have to be cautious about carbon monoxide.
It's not impossible, but it's not going to be easy.